Author Topic: i got another question ??? 308  (Read 787 times)

Offline just learning

• Trade Count: (0)
i got another question ??? 308
« on: December 11, 2003, 11:24:19 PM »
is a 308 good enough for mule deer/ elk, never hunted these before but was thinking of doing it I shoot a 308 168 grn match king, at paper, and if i was going to try hunting i would like to stay with 308 because i reload and have these,  the hunting rifle i would have to purchase?? any sugestons?? for the one  i shoot at paper weighs 12 lb, like i say i can alwways work up a hunting load.. :D  :D ???  thanks alot, i guess this is more than one question.
get out and vote for freedom/constitution

Offline savageT

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 02:28:57 AM »
just learning,
I think you should try asking that question on the Reloading Forum or Bolt-Action Forum.  The .308 will serve you well for what you want to hunt.  I really don't believe the 168 gr.Matchking is the best choice though.  Sierra does not recommend using MatchKings for hunting.  The Hornady Interlock 150,165,180 gr.  spire tip are my choice.......but there are many others. That choice depends on the rifle you eventually will purchase, and what it likes.

As far as what brand .308 rifle to buy...... you have a number of excellent choices today.  You didn't say what price you were going to be spending, but the latest "hot" buys are the Tikka T3/Whitetails.  Savage has an excellent reputation for out-of-the-box sub-MOA accuracy.  Remington 700 is excellent as well as the Winchester and Ruger models.  Generally, you must resort to trying them out for fit and feel...personal likes will steer you to the one.  Good Luck and keep us informed of your search.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
JL,JL,JL..................
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 02:34:30 AM »
Anytime you mention a caliber and ask for an opinion, you are going to get all kinds of praise from some - most saying they have hunted with that caliber forever and never had a failure.  Others are going to say it is inadaquate to dispatch an injured housecat.  The .308 has proven itself all over the world and is adaquate for most medium size game - just like the 30/06 - I would consider it a good choice for deer, and with good bullet choice and placement, for elk - I would prefer something a bit heavier, 'tho.  As a standard rule, I would recommend  a bullet weight of 250 grains or more for any animal over 1000 pounds.  It just takes a bit of extra bullet weight to drive through thick tissue and into a vital area.

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 04:04:38 AM »
I would recomend you stay with the same brand you are already shooting if possible simply because you are used to it, and you are satisfied with the acuracy, as far as 30 cal. goes I like the 165 of various brands to hunt with, :D   JIM

Offline eroyd

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 05:59:07 AM »
Nothing wrong with the cartridge for elk but don't expect spectacular kills out past 300 yards. Spire point bullets above 150grs on deer and 180 grainers on elk, blackbear and moose. I've been put off boattail hunting bullets, I've had a few come apart even at modest velocities. I don't believe the jacket/core bond is as strong in boattails.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 06:59:53 AM »
Yup the round is fine. Just select a load using an appropriate hunting bullet. For deer a 150, 165 or 180 grain will do fine. For elk I'd go with one of the two heavier weights and myself I'd prefer the 180 grain.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!