Author Topic: Marble's Bullseye sight on .45 colt CC  (Read 3465 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Marble's Bullseye sight on .45 colt CC
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:36:23 AM »
Since the question about sights came up again, I thought I would mention my solution.  Ok, not to knock H&R, but the stock carbine sights were impossible for me to see with my 'old eyes' and something had to be done.  I liked Dangerranger's idea of changing the rear sight blade to a peep.  But as I was surfing on line on Midway, I found the Marbles 'Bullseye' rear and decided to try it.  So I sent for the Marbles rear, a .570 Williams fire sight front and a riser as it was recommended.  When they came, I put them all on the CC.  The front with the riser was too tall and required the rear to be at max elevation and while I didn't shoot it that way, looking through the barrel and sights at a distant point, I needed the rear even higher.  So I removed the front riser, took it to the range and found it shooting about 6" high with the step adjuster on the rear bottomed.  Next I removed the step adjuster from the rear and then it shot about 2" high at 50 yds with hunting loads, and a little higher with target loads (8 gr unique).  A word about my 'hunting' load.  I use a cast 270 gr GCSWC over 20 gr of H4227.  This charge is listed as max for the Colt style .45 by Dave Scoville is his excellent 'Loading the Peacemaker'.  So it is not even a 'Ruger' lever load but has worked excellent for me for years.  I believe the impact can be brought down more by going back to the stock front sight.  The Williams fire sight is fairly big, and requires me to raise the muzzle a little to center the bead in the Marbles rear.  I believe with the stock front you would be 'right on' with no rear step elevator in the sight.  I'm going to try mine that way when I get the opportunity.  So I suggest trying it with the stock front bead first.  Or, if you are like me and need a little more help seeing, I would try the .406 or even the .375 hight fire sight and use the riser.  The marbles is only $17 and well worth it.  A word of caution if you order from Midway. I ordered the longer one, but the pics on their web site are reversed.  They show the short one with the longer one's description.  The description is correct, the pic is wrong, so order that way.  The sight does not look 'stock' but it sure is a boon for some of us with 'old eyes' who do not want to scope the CC.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Marble's Bullseye sight on .45 colt CC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »
44 Man, thanks for the review. I have been wanting to get one for my 45 Handi, but Midway and Brownells both show the long version as "out of stock". I guess I will just have to be patient. JamesIII

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
Give BA a call to see if they have it in stock.

Tim

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,8041.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline twoeighty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:00:44 AM »
44 Man----did you try it with the just keeping the factory front sight intact ?
have same eye issues with my little carbine--i'll order the rear and then shoot it for POI

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
Factory front is perfect with the Marbles.I even have the Marbles on my #3 and its great and strong

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
so you have to cut a dove tail

Offline stainless

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »
Thanks 44 Man, I thought about the Marble's Bullseye to use it on some of my Marlins and my new 45-70 Handi.

Also thank you S.E.Ak for your input:

Factory front is perfect with the Marbles.I even have the Marbles on my #3 and its great and strong

Does anyone know the different length between the long and short version?
I don't want to get trouble with the scope bell.

stainless

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak

Offline twoeighty

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »
for those interested in the marbles bullseye sight----the only place that had them in stock was Jack First, Inc---in rapid city , sd.

brownell's, midway, cabelas, Canada, etc all backordered for unknown time

paid 5 bucks more than midway's cost but at least i found one---i understand Marbles is way behind in production across the board

tapped it in today( man it was a tight fit ) and will check POI friday with the factory front sight on the 45 carbine

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
FWIW, the nominal 3/8 dovetail is just that, very nominal. It is considered fair to 'break' the corners on the sight male base a tad and retry (the sharp edge is often too wide there to fit) and/or lightly file the face of the sight dovetail too. It is not really a good idea to widen the barrel dovetail; then nothing else ever fits.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
All y'all got me talked into trying one of these!  They look funny, but if they work...  ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline twoeighty

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
will try that file method in the future---thanks

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks for the info and pix--I ought to get a sackful of these!!