Author Topic: First Deer with NEF 12 Guage SB1S14  (Read 897 times)

Offline getom59

• Trade Count: (0)
First Deer with NEF 12 Guage SB1S14
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
Aaron's a 21 year old special needs person who's turned out to be quite a squirrel hunter (and eater-- he loves them squack ala squack style and barely saves any for me).  Well, he’s graduated to big game now.  Here’s his story.

Aaron seemed to know it was going to be a good day (Wednesday, 11/24/2010) when he spotted a deer in the morning while carrying our ladder and stools out to the blind for the afternoon hunt.  The afternoon finally came and we hit the blind and got settled in about 2:30ish. 

Aaron sat in the blind facing east so he could cover the field to his left and swamp on the right.  Fifteen minutes after getting settled Aaron starts pointing with his finger down towards the swamp.  I could tell he saw something because his breathing got much more pronounced and he was really focused on a spot down in the swamp.  I turned and looked to where Aaron was focused but couldn’t see anything.

Around 4:00 I spotted a doe to the west of the blind directly behind Aaron.  Aaron couldn’t see the deer but he could hear it walking in the woods.  Again I could hear Aaron’s breathing become more pronounced and I knew his heart was racing.  It ended up that there were two does but neither one of them would come out into the field or walk up to us to offer any shots.  After about 15 minutes both does wandered back off the way they came.

After the does wandered away things settled down for awhile.  Suddenly around 5:00ish Aaron starts pointing his finger to the field directly behind me.  I turned and looked and sure enough there was a doe coming out of the swamp into the field about 50 yards away. Aaron’s breathing became more pronounced as he was really focused in on that doe.  While I watched him I started whispering him through the things he needed to do:
* Put your gun up on the window sill.
* Turn your red dot on.
* Put the red dot on the deer’s chest.
* Pull the hammer back but keep your finger out of the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.
I didn’t make it to, “Pull the trigger” because he took that upon himself when he felt he was ready.  Anyway, I turned and looked to where the deer was and saw that it was down with a spine shot but still alive.  I quickly climbed out of the blind and went over and dispatched the doe.  When I turned around I could hear Aaron in the blind saying, “OMG I got a deer, OMG I got one, OMG I can’t believe I got a deer, and so on…”  I got to the blind and helped him out and then we went to see his prized first deer.  We took pictures but they’re a little blurry as both of us were pretty excited and we couldn’t hold the camera very still.

A special Thanks to my dear friend Mr. Carter for allowing us the opportunity to hunt the blind on his property.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: First Deer with NEF 12 Guage SB1S14
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:25 AM »
Congrats to Aaron and big helping of kudos to you my friend. If he likes squirrel hes gunna love back strap!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: First Deer with NEF 12 Guage SB1S14
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
Congratulations and thanks to you and Mr. Carter as well, and a special congratulations to Aaron. Give him a big fist pump handshake and a slap on the back for me and the others here, we are all very happy for him and proud of him. He did GOOD....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley