Author Topic: Questions-CVA Scout in 7mm08 or 30-06  (Read 2543 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Questions-CVA Scout in 7mm08 or 30-06
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
First off does anyone own one of these rifles? Secondly I'm interested in buying one in stainless.
*Do they eject or extract?
*Trigger Pull?
*Black Composite Stock or is Real Tree Camo available?(like in the video)
*Is the scope mount detachable? (Looks like the scope sits to high in pics I've viewed)
*Barrel Twist?
*Do they breakdown for cleaning? Forend easily removeable?
*Any common Handi type afflictions (ie forearm bedding, shelf latch engagement, underlug wear, headspacing, FTE FTF etc.
*How do they shoot?

Any info out there? Thanks

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Questions-CVA Scout in 7mm08 or 30-06
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
I dont have a 7-08 or 30-06 but I have one in 44 mag so I can answer some of the questions.

1. they extract
2. the trigger pull on mine is 3# and very smooth
3. you can get black or camo stocks (my dealer can order either from his distributor)
4. the scope mount is a one piece mount/ rings. it's a real slick setup and yes it's detachable (barrel is drilled and tapped)
5. not sure of the twist on those two but it's 1:20 on my 44 mag.
6. to break down you remove 2 screws to take off the forend then push out a pin to remove the barrel (it's like a TC)
7. the forearm does not put any pressure on the frame like a handi and it doesn't have the barrel lug either. it's attached directly to the barrel with 2 screws and doesn't actually touch the frame. latch shelf engagement is the same setup as a handi or tc.
8. my 44 mag put 5 bullets through the same hole at 100 yds. the group was the size of a half dollar. I was shooting 240gr. winchester ammo.

It's almost like CVA took a handi rifle and fixed all the "issues"
If mine is any indication of the rifles in general they're real good guns and should sell well.

I hope this helps.

Spanky

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
I dont have a 7-08 or 30-06 but I have one in 44 mag so I can answer some of the questions.

1. they extractHopefully a rimless will extract as good as your 44 mag rimmed
2. the trigger pull on mine is 3# and very smoothDid you have access to others to check out?
3. you can get black or camo stocks (my dealer can order either from his distributor)I see that they only come from the factory in black, so camo must be purchased later if I read this right?
4. the scope mount is a one piece mount/ rings. it's a real slick setup and yes it's detachable (barrel is drilled and tapped)In the pics supplied by CVA the scope looks like it sits high. Does it need that height for proper eye alingment? I would probably put a 20 or 33 mm scope on mine and would like it to sit as low as possible.
5. not sure of the twist on those two but it's 1:20 on my 44 mag.
6. to break down you remove 2 screws to take off the forend then push out a pin to remove the barrel (it's like a TC)That is a good feature.
7. the forearm does not put any pressure on the frame like a handi and it doesn't have the barrel lug either. it's attached directly to the barrel with 2 screws and doesn't actually touch the frame. another good featurelatch shelf engagement is the same setup as a handi or tc.
8. my 44 mag put 5 bullets through the same hole at 100 yds. the group was the size of a half dollar. I was shooting 240gr. winchester ammo.A great report

It's almost like CVA took a handi rifle and fixed all the "issues"
If mine is any indication of the rifles in general they're real good guns and should sell well.

I hope this helps.Can't even find one around here to look at. Thanks for the reply.

Spanky

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
I have one in 35 Whelen, which is kind of like a 30-06 on steroids.  Mine is black/blued.  Trigger is about 3.5 lbs, breaks cleanly, no creep, not a lot of over travel.  The scopes setup is slick, but a bit higher than needed for a 40mm objective.  Mine will clear a 50mm easily.  Work and family issues have kept me from the range, so I can't comment on functionality or accuracy.  I am a Handi rifle loony, so it pains me to see how much better this rifle seems to be in many areas.  It is about a pound and a half lighter than a Handi in the same caliber.  It has a 1-10 twist, supposed to be the same for the 30 calibers.  The Handi in 35 W has a 1-15 1/2  twist.  Marginal for the Lyman 358009 cast bullet I want to use, the CVA may be a bit too fast.  Time at the range will tell that tale.  All in all, for under $300, not a bad rifle from first impressions anyway.