Author Topic: GPS Shopping  (Read 1041 times)

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
GPS Shopping
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:25:55 AM »
I have very little experience with GPS except for an in car Tom Tom and a basic etrex that has been discontinued. I have been looking at the 60csx and the vista hcx. Where can I get a comparison between these 2 units? My main use will be for hunting and hiking. I am drawn to the vista hcx because of the smaller size. Please help by pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Don
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: GPS Shopping
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=143

There just about the same item except the Vista HCx is a smaller unit.  Looking at them as a hunter I think the Vista HCx is a better deal and battery life is better.  The Vista HCx will easily fit in a shirt pocket the 60Csx will not.

Watch the prices on the 60Csx they are falling fast and a number of outlets have had or have them on sale.  I expect the 60Csx will soon be discontinued.  A key item to remember is that whoever you buy it from be sure and register it immediately.  When buying one from an Amazon listing make sure it is sold by Amazon.com.  I received one sold by Amazon that had been registered by another buyer.  Amazon paid for the return, and credited my credit card.  I was a happy customer.  It was one of those deals that Amazon covered another dealer.

I have friends with the 60Csx who love their unit for geocaching because they are running around with it in their hand.  I have two units that are similar in size to the 60Csx a 76Cx and a Rino 530Hsx.  The larger screens are handy for old eyes but I have cases for carrying them, a little too big for a shirt pocket.

General idea of current prices:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Vista-HCx-High-Sensitivity/dp/B000PDR1LS/ref=pd_cp_e_2

I like the etrex units (Vista HCx) because an experience user can use the features one handed.  Going from the basic etrex to the Vista HCx should be very easy.  A micro SD card comes with the 60csx but none with the Vista HCx, but it will use one if you want to install a mapping program. 

This is a good price.  http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Secure-Digital-SDSDQ-2048-A10M-Package/dp/B000JLP5UK/ref=pd_sim_e_4

o   Products sold through online auctions
Products sold through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or other special offers from Garmin. Pay Pal receipts will not be accepted. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:35 AM »
I usualy agree with siskiyou but if it were my choise id take the bigger screen anytime. My delorne is really cool with arial photos and sat imagery but the screan is so small that these old eyes have problems using it without my cheaters on.
blue lives matter

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
Lloyd old eyes and cheaters go together.  I got a kick out of an age related pun show on the outdoor channel staring a couple of of elder bear hunters doubling up their cheaters.

After the first of they year I am looking at getting my eyes checked.  Seems like I have all my gps options set at LARGE ;D
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.