Author Topic: How do I take my gun with me??? (For those of you who travel to hunt)  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Ive got a chance to hunt in Maine next fall. I want to take my 454 pistol to hunt with.
 Can I take it with me on the plane? Or is there another way?
  Ill be flying from Charleston,SC
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How do I take my gun with me??? (For those of you who travel to hunt)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
try mailing it through a local FFL where you live to a FFL in Maine. Some fee will be involved, but I would think it would be worth it rather than putting up with the BS on the airline issue. ???

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
 I thought about that,,so I went by a Pawn Shop that is a FFL today and asked them. They said that there could be problems in Maine with me not being from there?? Sounds like "BS" to me.I dont know.

I need to go by my gun shop and ask them......
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline gunblade

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »
If you ship it to a dealer in Maine he will not be able to legally transfer it back to you since you are not a resident of that state.  That's no BS...it's federal law.   I'd take it with me on the plane in your checked baggage.   

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
Capt Rick,

If you google transporting firearms on airlines you will get your answer :D  Sorry about that  :o  It was in response to the propane tank question  ;)

I would suggest the best hard case you can afford as the airport handlers are tough on equipment.  My favorite case is the diamond plate case.  I flew to Maine with my boy to hunt bear.  I believe only factory ammo is acceptable and they check the gun and ask if it is unloaded.  The people that checked my firearms hadn't the faintest clue about what they were looking at.   I think I locked the case after inspection. 

Things may have changed but be sure to check the zero on your gun before you hunt as someone in our camp did not and paid the price.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »
Contact the airline you intend to fly with and ask them what their requirements are.  Traveling by air with a firearm, even a handgun, is really not as big of a deal as you might think.  You generally just need to declare it at the check in counter.  Be sure that it is unloaded and that it is packed it in a stout case.  I understand that one of the bonuses of traveling with a declared firearm is that they watch your luggage like a hawk and deliver it to you when you reach your destination, no waiting at the baggage carousel for your luggage to show up.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
No problem. I've flown with handguns throughout the U.S. and to many other countries around the world. There are some universal rules you must follow within the U.S. There are additional rules you must follow for international travel, but we won't address them here, since you're flying from S.C. to Maine. Within the U.S. you MUST:
1.) Carry your unloaded handgun in a hard, lockable case. You may have to unlock the case for TSA to inspect the gun, after which it must be re-locked by you or TSA personnel.
2.) Declare the gun at the airline counter, and declare that it is unloaded, signing the appropriate form, to be put INSIDE the case.
3.) Carry your ammo "in an original factory container" in a SEPARATE piece of lockable hard luggage from the handgun. I have never had a problem carrying ammo in an MTM style plastic case, through dozens of inspections in dozens of airports in the U.S. and abroad. If you're concerned, transfer your ammo to some factory ".454" labeled package or container.

These inspections take a bit of time. Arrive at the airport early, and allow enough time between transfers that laggardly baggage handling will still allow your guns and ammo to make it. I'm guessing that you'll fly from Charleston to Charlotte for a transfer, with another transfer somewhere in New England. Try to avoid NYC.

I would definitely advise you not to ship your guns ahead.

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!

I will check the scope out when I get there. You should always do that......
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:28:17 AM »
Which outfitter you going with in Maine???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:39:41 PM »
None,,I'm going with a guy that grew up there and has family that hunts there....

I have plenty of time to plan my trip,,,so Im open for all info you have...Thanks!
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 02:58:17 AM »
Just wondering what outfitter you were going to use (I'm assuming you're going for bear...maybe deer though).  I've used the Oxbow in Oxbow, Maine, very successfully.  I know that Redhawk1 uses another fellow, also very successfull.  I haven't handgun hunted for bear as of yet...have taken three....two in Canada and one on Maine....maybe next time!!!!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »
Im not sure yet,,,Im thinking just Deer,,but that can change. (I wish they had hogs up there, Ha-Ha-Ha)

I dont know if I should take my 30-30 or my 454 pistol? Im thinking about getting a Savage 300 Win Mag before I go......

What would you take?
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 05:59:31 AM »
Really depends on where you are hunting.  Maine can have alot of open fields and timber cuts.  Some folks only hunt heavily wooded areas where a 30-30 or your pistol would be fine.  I'd opt for a scoped rifle to cover all bases....300win is certainly enough gun with a 2x7, 3x9 or 3.5x10 scope....you'll probably just leave the power on 2 or 3x anyway. 

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
I think Ill get the 300 and take that......
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline gray-wolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 05:05:22 AM »
I live in Maine, and if you have a hunting license ( out of state for you )  You have the same right as a resident.
You may carry in a vehicle UNLOADED and you can carry a handgun concealed WHILE engaged in hunting.
  There ain't nothing here in Maine that a 308, 270, or an 06 will not kill just fine.
300 is way over gun unless you have a special need.
  TRANSPORTING FIREARMS<

Just mail the firearm to yourself, to the location you will be staying at. Let them know it is coming and will be addressed to you. Or to them in care of you. They do not open the box only you.
  Make a few phone calls on your own, Gun forums are not the holly Grail of information.
You will need to find out who to mail it from.  The PO may not work but UPS and Fed -X should do it.
  This is done ALL the time for people going to other states that don't want the hassle of having there weapons with them.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »
On other similar posts it was mentioned to copy the regulations of the selected airline and have them with you. It seems quite possible to encounter ''less than adequately trained or informed'' personnel along the way. Somehow, seeing their policy in print seems to spoil all their fun.

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
Gray-wolf ,,I was thinking about mailing it to the address where Ill be staying at,,,they dont need to know whats in the package.....................
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline gray-wolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
Yes, mail it to the place you will be staying at.  Make sure it is to you--care of them.
  You may have to go to a UPS depot, I am not sure it all the walk in places will do it.
If you get any flak from the nitwits that may work there ask for a supervisor.
  I would call them, some times they want the box not sealed, they look in, say fine and then you tape it up.  It's done all the time.

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
I mailed a rifle today through Fed-Ex that I sold.
 I told them what was in the box,,they didnt want to see inside it. I had to mail it to a FFL.
 If I was a FFL dealer,,,I could just mail it to the buyer.
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
Yes, mail it to the place you will be staying at.  Make sure it is to you--care of them.
  You may have to go to a UPS depot, I am not sure it all the walk in places will do it.
If you get any flak from the nitwits that may work there ask for a supervisor.
  I would call them, some times they want the box not sealed, they look in, say fine and then you tape it up.  It's done all the time.

I would just take it on the plane. The only thing to worry about is if you get stuck in a gun-unfriendly city,just passing through is not a problem. What you don't want to end up happening is having a layover in Chicago,getting snowed in and claiming your baggage that contains a gun. You now may have an illegal unregistered (I believe you have to have certain guns registered there,I dont know the specifics but I know they are crazier than California there) gun. If that were to happen I would explain it to the airline and I'm sure they could figure something out.