Author Topic: What to use as resistance on short barrel gb mortar  (Read 601 times)

Offline bluez

• Trade Count: (0)
What to use as resistance on short barrel gb mortar
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »
I have a short barrel golf mortar, the inside barrel length is 2 x the caliber (two times the length of a golf ball) There is no sub-chamber. The mortar is very solid, and  gives a very nice report when firing a golf ball. When i want to shoot blanks i have a problem, and that is what to use in front of the powder (FF). In my longer barrel cannon, only a little paper is enough, that's not the case with the mortar. I have tried grass, and solid paper it doesn't work. I have been thinking and casting wax bullets but i would prefer to this as safe as possible. Any ideas?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: What to use as resistance on short barrel gb mortar
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:39 AM »
Since the is no sub chamber  make a cartridge out of foil.  Here is a link that discusses how to make a cartridge Loading Cannon Cartridges

You can also cut a flat disc of cardboard that is snug fitting for the bore and push it down on top of the cartridge.  

There is a  limit to how much noise these small guns make.  If you want noise get a thunder mug.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
That's a pretty sweet GB cannon. Where did you get it?

I think someone on here had put flour on top of the BP, something you might want to look into.

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
I use a solid practice golfball for a blank - it gives a good report and has a very low mass.  They do not go fare and are soft - I get them at Acadamy Sports.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline bluez

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »
That's a pretty sweet GB cannon. Where did you get it?

A friend of mine runs a mashine shop and has a cylindrical grinding machine. I designed and he made it. He has also made a 1" cannon for me.

Offline nchokie

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »
I use fresh bread .It packs nicely and the birds love it!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »
The trunnion looks awful small to me.  Probably should stick to blanks and real golf balls.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill