Author Topic: Is Tracker l that much different then a rifled bore Tracker ll  (Read 931 times)

Offline OSUBucks1500

• Trade Count: (0)
Is Tracker l that much different then a rifled bore Tracker ll
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
Couple weeks ago I just Bought a NEF Pardner Tracker 1 SB1, for mainly deer hunting and maybe some small game shooting. I paid $90 dollars for it and its in great shape and shoots very accurate up to 50 yards (as far as I have tried so far). The place I bought my Tracker 1 just got in a Tracker 2 and they said I could bring my tracker 1 back and pay $25 and get the Tracker 2, is it worth it or just keep what I got. I originally bought the tracker because i neded a cheap gun fast for deer season but now i love them and im buying a pardner pump for waterfowl. So this single shot is mostly a deer gun and i want to be able to shoot at least 75-100 yards, so tracker 1 or tracker 2?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Is Tracker l that much different then a rifled bore Tracker ll
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »
Whatever you do don't get rid of the tracker 1. 100 yards is about its limit but you can shoot Foster style slugs well at a fraction of the cost of sabot slugs. Get it threaded for choke tubes and its a great turkey gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
keep the Tracker I, they are fine deer shotguns out to at least 75 yards and perhaps 100 if you find a slug it really likes (mine really likes 2 3/4" Brenneke's). If you want a Tracker II I suggest a 29 gauge. Then you are all set for shots at deer from 10-20 to 150+ yards with a shotgun....<><....:)

P.S. - you can buy a box of 5 foster style slugs for the Tracker I for about $3.00 or $4.00 a box, A box of 5 Sabots for the Tracker II will be about $15.00. As the old saying goes, you do the math...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
I would opt to trade in the Tracker I for the II. $115 is a steal on the II. You can then have a 200 yard shotgun with Winchester Partition Gold 3" ammo. Then if you want both, go and buy the other back. Or if you can get the Tracker II for $115, I'd personally be all over that especially if you are in shotgun only areas and these are 20 ga, they can be easily Drilled and Tapped for a scope rail and scope. If not in the shotgun area, I'd opt for a rifle.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
Then again , you can   always do as a lot of us here do , just cough up the cash and buy both , then sell the one u dont like , or keep both , they dont eat much  ::)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »
I'd opt for the Tkr I and whatever Foster or Bren. that it shoots best. Stats show most deer are taken under 50yd. and that is what my woods is like, but you are the one who knows what your hunting ground is like. If you got the money make them a lowball, quick sale on the II; worst they can do is say no, but as has been said, be prepared to feed it expensive fodder 'cause I havent read of any fully rifled barrels that like Fosters.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »
buy both
sell the 1 you dont like
or keep both
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
I've got a Tracker ll which is scoped, that is my designated slug gun for deer and hogs and I shoot Remington Buckhammers that are not much more expensive than fosters and my gun loves them.

I've also got a Tracker l that I use as my every trip walk around gun, and a pocket full of shells that include foster slugs in case I walk up on a hog, and also a few shot shells for small game or birds in season.

The smoothbore is versatile so why not have both.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline 1greg

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Tracker l
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »
OSUBucks1500

I bought my tracker I in 1989. I paid $95 + tax

first thing I did was have it cut for choke tubes. I bought a cylinder and super full choke tube for it. at some point put a barrel band sling swivel setup.

first hunt was turkey lookin…uncle Pal said to bring back a mess of squirrels, after second day of shooting 3" loads I bummed some #4 Winchester Uplands. Rest of squirrels was head shot after that. no turkeys that trip 

I found that mine loves the 2¾" Federal 1¼ oz slugs.

I dialed it dead on at 75 yards. It will keep 3 on a playing card. It’s hard to shoot and recoil is tuff…but, well it is Deer slugs. ya just have to concentrate.

4 Deer have died at @ 80 yards, some more at 40 yards or less…only one took more than one slug, but he weighed 180 pounds dressed !

Best patterns for Turkey killin is a duplicate of the Winchester Upland load. 1¼ oz  #5 shot at 1220 fps. I tried all the 3" loads…best was the ole stand by, a duplicate of the Winchester Upland load, and buffer.

a tote sack of Rabbits over the years with 1oz of # 6’s and the cylinder tube.

Now it wears a Simmons 4x Pro Diamond, some time along the way my eyes don’t look so good anymore.

Of the guns that I own, I love my tracker 1 the most. 

God Bless ya'll

Greg

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." --Galileo Galilei

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
You got a good deal on that Tracker 1.  I'd have bought that in a New York minute or a Texas nano-second.
 Why, o why did they discontinue it?   Way more versatile than the Tracker 2.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:00:01 AM »
Yeah, it seems H&R management believes that 'all good things must come to an end'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
Amen brother.Thats a 20ga Tracker I in my avatar,and the 4pt whitetail it had just put down. Best close cover(within 80yds) deer gun I have found .
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"