Author Topic: Back scabbard question.  (Read 1106 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Back scabbard question.
« on: December 09, 2010, 04:54:48 AM »
I saw on a few hunting shows where the guys hunting have a pack on their back and the butt of the gun is sticking straight up out of the pack, close to the wearers back. Not on a sling but in some type of scabbard in the pack. I can see where going through thick brush would not be very fun, but for a open terrain type hunt it could be very comfortable with no sling slide off the shoulder. Do any of you use one? Just thought a non paid testimonial would be worth more than a guy on a show raving about it....  Thanks  thejanitor

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Back scabbard question.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:47:12 AM »
I just started carrying an Eberlestock backpack this year with one of the back scabbards.  I think it's about the best money I've ever spent on hunting equipment.  It keeps the rifle in the middle of your back, so both shoulders are carrying the weight instead of one.  Both of your hands are free all the time, which is a huge plus for me because most of my hunting is for elk and mule deer above 8000 ft. in pretty rough country.  If you walk a lot these things are great.  It's also a lot easier to get to your rifle than you might think.  The major drawback is that once you take the rifle out it's really difficult to get it back in without taking the pack off, or having some help.  They are also fairly pricey, but for me it was well worth it to have my hands free and not have to worry about dropping a rifle because of a loose swivel stud.

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:22:24 AM »
I carry a simple scabbard made of rough leather over my back across the shoulders. Several of my lever guns have no sling so it frees my hands. The only drawback is that getting it off your shoulder and into action draws more attention and takes longer. It does protect my guns more except for the exposed stock while in the briars and brush. Some times I just carry the gun scabbarded in my hand thru the thick stuff to keep the stock from sticking up over my shoulders hanging up in the low stuff. I wish I had my camera I would post a pict. They are only $14 and are tough as nails. It could be strapped to a backback easily.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:55:57 AM »
Thanks- if you find a link to something close to yours please post, I am interested in trying something like this. Thanks thejanitor

Offline JW307

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 06:25:44 AM »
Here's a link to the one I carry.

http://eberlestock.com/H1%20Mini-Me.htm