Author Topic: Which powdwer for 7 1/2" old army  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Frank44

• Trade Count: (0)
Which powdwer for 7 1/2" old army
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
I am interested in the best availability, price, ease of cleaning, and long term storage. I sometimes go for long spell without shooting, and load full power loads.
Frank

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Which powdwer for 7 1/2" old army
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »
Darn Frank!  If you go for "long spells" without shooting, what the heck are you worried about the rest of that stuff for!?   :D  Just get a can of FFFG BP and stop worrying about the small stuff.   ;D

Now, if you started shooting more,  :-\  then I'd recommend, ... FFFG BP!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:08:15 AM »
I agree with Richard, he who is always right, but would add that if you can't find real BP locally Pyrodex does work OK in revolvers. Pyrodex "P" will produce velocities a bit above 3f black and Pyrodex "R/S" will run a bit slower but both will work fine.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »
They left out 777, the hotrod of the subs.  Low residue, means more shots before needing cleaning.  Hotter than real B/p so less can be used the recomended is 15% less to equall ballistics.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »
What makes you think omitting trip seven was an oversight? ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
Just a note of reemphasis:
Hodgdon 777 is NOT a volume-for-volume substitute for black powder. like Pyrodex is.
The most trustworthy information is on the Hodgdon website. Hodgdon warns that 777 should not be used in any brass-framed revolvers, but if you have a steel-framed revolver it can work fine.
I've used a little 777 over the past few years, but since I have ample black powder (Goex and Kik) I haven't seen the need to use it much.
FFFG black powder still gives me the best accuracy, but it may be difficult to find in your area.
As for longevity, black powder beats them all. Stored in low humidity and ambient temperature, black powder will last at least 150 years and probably a lot longer.
In one of my old American Rifleman magazines of the 1930s, I recall a note about someone shooting a 69-caliber paper cartridge assembled sometime during the American Revolution.
The shooter noted that it seemed full-power, compared to loads he'd assembled with newly manufactured DuPont black powder.
Store your black powder away from humidity and temperature extremes and it will last decades.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline whitetailsniper30tc

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
just my 2 cents worth,but to date,,and recently ive shot 35 grains,,and 40 grains of 777  out of my 45 cal old army,, and it handled it ,,NOT A PROBLEM!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
ive used both 777 and fffg black in my roa and have decided to stick with the fffg black.it seems as accurate or possibly more so than the 777 and is quite a bit cheaper also.i did notice that a full charge of 777 did seem to make the pistols bark a little sharper. so it may be possible to achieve more velocity with the 777.

Offline Longknife 76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:22:48 AM »
I am interested in the best availability, price, ease of cleaning, and long term storage. I sometimes go for long spell without shooting, and load full power loads.
Frank

Answer to all of the above "BLACK POWDER".......

Offline hillbill

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
Frank

Answer to all of the above "BLACK POWDER".......
ditto from me. my old army has no prob with 777 but it doesnt shoot any better than fffg black and in my area 777  is twice the price.the only way id go for the 777 is if i was working up a hunting load for deer and it offered a velocity increase at least 100fps and gave as good of accuracy as black.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
I agree with Richard, he who is always right, but would add that if you can't find real BP locally . Pyrodex "P" will produce velocities a bit above 3f black and Pyrodex "R/S" will run a bit slower but both will work fine.

Frank

I don't like using Pyrodex after it has been stored for long periods.  Just doesn't seem to have the zest that it should.  May be just me.  Besides,  mine caked all up as did some of the other subs I have. 
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.