Author Topic: NEF extracts rather than ejects, is there a fix to this problem  (Read 1882 times)

Offline jono

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF extracts rather than ejects, is there a fix to this problem
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:10:30 AM »
Bought my son a 223 did not know about change from eject to extract, it only pops shell up maybe 1/4 in cant get case out of scoped rifle with gloves. Wont be buying anymore of their rifles. Dealer was unaware of this change wont take rifle back it just sits in closet. Have 4 other rifles which eject as they should, any help would be appreciated.

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: NEF extracts rather than ejects, is there a fix to this problem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
take a look in the FAQ's there is a section i believe on conversion to an ejector from extractor, handi's are great because there are simple fixes for most problems
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
Welcom to GBO- From what I read there is no way to convert the extractor to ejector..Guess I was wrong, see quicks post below... If you really want the .223 I would watch the classifieds and buy an ejector model, then sell the barrel you have. Or someone here may trade you a barrel, but that will be up to how you word your classified. Good luck I hope you get what you want.  thejanitor

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:53 AM »
It's a much easier job to convert the ejector to an an extrator. I have done just that to 2 of mine.
Take the glove off, then pull the case an put in another, simple.

handi rifles, barrels, stocks and receivers are bought and sold here in the classifieds;

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,46.0.html
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
An extractor can be converted to an ejector and vice versa with either a mill or a drill press, I've done both, the drill press method is in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
I worked long and hard, and with a lot of help from Tim, to get all mine to be extractors.  I live in the Frozen North and sometimes wear gloves in July. When I shoot, I'm not trying to catch one as it pops out, field it in the air or scratch around in the weeds, or dig through two feet of snow looking for brass.....it's right there under my fingertips.  I can extract and reload as quickly as necessary.  The other big plus is you're not having to deal with stuck brass.  Try for a fast second shot when that '06 brass is stuck in the chamber.......have ya got a rod with ya?

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
Always ready to be contrary.....
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
Jono is NOT the only person who's not in love with extractors.  Cold soaked fingers, with or without a glove, might as well be stubs, at least for me these days.  MUCH easier to stop a round with my hand, or just move the rifle and let the case hit me in the chest and fall than to try and hook a well-trimmed fingernail into a rim and pull it out.
I like ejectors! 
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »
I have about 20 handi's, but who's counting.  Half are ejectors, half extractors.  I find that most of the problems come with ejectors, on the rimless cases.  I have a 308 and a 280 that will occasionally stick one, the 270 is most of the time.  I've polished chambers, and tried all the other fixes in the FAQ's.  When I get done hunting this year, they are all gonna be extractors.  I'm tired of having to carry a range rod to the woods, for just in case.  I've never had an extractor issue, period.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
amen to that geezer !!!! ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
I'm another one who like the ejectors better than the extractors.  Biggest problem is remembering which I have when I shoot! ::)  I go along with Roger on this, when I'm hunting and need to get another shot off, I want the case outta there now, not fumbling trying to pull the case out.  And, I have a 25-06 EXTRACTOR that has had a stuck case, I thought that couldn't happen but did.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 12:41:23 PM »
I also much prefer a extractor to an ejector.

I have converted most my ejectors to extractors on my rifles. At first it was just cause I was a re-loader and didn't like chasing brass. (Some ranges do not allow brass pick up. If it hits the floor its NOT yours any longer.) BUT, I prefer the ejectors on my rim fires and my shotguns. I hunt sometimes in the late seasons and the temps are in the teens. I don't like gloves, but need something covering the skin on such days. When I make a shot the right glove comes off, so removing a case, manipulating a safety or pulling back a hammer is not an issue.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
As others have said, once you see the kinds of problems that you can have wth an ejector, you will be glad to have an extractor.  So far, only 1/2 the ejectors that I have had worked well, the others were strictly a PITA.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
Bought my son a 223 did not know about change from eject to extract, it only pops shell up maybe 1/4 in cant get case out of scoped rifle with gloves. Wont be buying anymore of their rifles. Dealer was unaware of this change wont take rifle back it just sits in closet. Have 4 other rifles which eject as they should, any help would be appreciated.

Umm, extractors are the fix for ejectors!!  ;D If extractors were so bad, millions of TC Contender and Encore owners would be unhappy, and compared to reloading a muzzleloader, an extractor is wonderful.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
I got rid of my 223 barrel because the ejector wouldn't eject on regular basis.  I tried all the fixes such as polishing the chamber and such but still had to carry a rod with me just to be sure.  I had no problem with my 308 ejector barrel or any of my straight wall cartridge barrels but am much happier with the extractors the barrels now have.

RJ

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »
I prefer the extractor too. I have no problem removing the shell, but I rarely wear gloves. I prefer to use a fleece hand-warmer muff (like quarterbacks use) or keep my hands in my pockets with one of those "shake & bake" hand warmers. I realize that still hunting & such makes this less possible, so my back up is a pair of really warm "glommits" (those mittens with the fold back ends which expose your fingertips.).
A friend of mine has an ejector style in .243 and he has tons of problems with it. Shells get stuck in the barrel, the round slides past the ejector when loading, etc.
After hearing this is a common problem, I'd much prefer the extractor.
That being said, it's a free country (for now) and to each his own!

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »
My first Handis were ejectors. I then started loading my own ammo and am
challenged by a spine injury, so it is difficult for me to pick up brass. I only have
one Handi now, a 223 extractor. I have a few T/Cs and as Tim said, they must
work or you would surely read about it on the internet. I gave my first 223
Handi to my brother-in law. His only problem is that he does not reload yet
and the grandkids burn through a pile of ammo at every opportunity. It does
eject well, or I would have heard about it, I'm sure. So for me the extractor
is the way to go.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
You can always get a pair of Millar mitts - used to be able to get these fingerless (first two finger joints exposed) at climbing shops back when I was young and reckless and doing such things.  Made of a really tough Scottish knit hard-finished wool.  The body of them would keep the blood warm and flowing to your fingers and you manipulate small objects really well.  I am sure that there is an equivalent around now.  Personally, when I do where gloves hunting-it has to be dang cold and I wear the thinsulate ones with the spandex trigger finger.  You can manipulate things pretty well with those too.  Ever since I spent 3 years working up on the northern Montana border through the winter as a well-site petroleum geologist, cold has become a relative thing for me.... :D

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
Wish they made them with a selector switch. Extractor for the range and ejector all other times. :)

Offline Buckwheat Jack

• Avid Poster
  • 45-70; 45 Long Colt; 12ga; .410
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 04:09:33 AM »
It's not the extractor or ejector question that puzzles me. It's the necessity for a quick second shot. How many animals do you usually shoot in close succession?
aim small, hit big

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:16:04 AM »
Just wait for two to line up & do it with one shot; a la Quigly?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »
Like most members, I also much prefer ejectors. If Handi's had only had the cheaper extractors when I started with them I never would have followed through with my affliction/addiction, nor would I have the number of them I have now....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »
I'll have to say, I like ejectors-- until one sticks, then, they ain't worth a dime. I have a .357 mag ejector that has never had a problem. I love hearing that "click" as the shell goes over my shoulder. On the other hand, I had an ejector .270 that stuck on every shot, and it was down-right frustrating. While I enjoy ejectors, extractors are more user friendly to me. ;)

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »
All of mine have the ejectors..Heck only two of em have the transfer bar.. ;D
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(