Author Topic: BC 32" barrel to cut or not?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline mister

• Trade Count: (0)
BC 32" barrel to cut or not?
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »
Hi there first post here great info, need some advice I just traded for a buffalo classic 45-70 love the stocks but I want a 18.5 inch barrel so I'm going to cut it down and recrown it was just wondering if someone else has done this and if it effects the accuracy etc. or am I commiting a sin against the handi gods for destroying a beautiful rifle.
thx.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: BC 32" barrel to cut or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:46:53 AM »
Welcome to GBO! \ If it were me I defintely wouldn't cut that nice long barrel up :-\ Better yet, trade it to another member that wants the long barrel for a 22" barrel, and then saw away.

Just my 2cents.

-Aaron

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:53:46 AM »
I just traded for a buffalo classic 45-70 love the stocks but I want a 18.5 inch barrel so I'm going to cut it down and recrown

:o  AWK!!!

You do and I'll hunt you down like a dog!!!   ;D

If you want a shorter barrel you got other options!  Start with a standard 22" 45-70 barrel and cut it!  You can sell the BC here or probably trade with somebody!  Or sell the BC and buy a standard rifle and also buy BC wood!  Anything, but please don't cut that barrel that much!   :'(

But if you do, let me know and I'll but what you have left over...  :-\  for the right price of course!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:54:30 AM »
Oh ya, like Aaron said, welcome!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mister

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
Thats what I thought everyone would say. ;) I haven't gotten it yet still in the mail I will probably just trade something else I have for another 22" handi. She does look to pretty to chop up.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
+1 on Aarons' and Richard's replies, I have three BCs, two 22" Handis and a 24" Ultra Hunter, am seriously considering cutting one of the 32" BC barrels to 26-27" and rechambering to 45-90, the 26-27" length makes a good compromise.  ;)

Tim

Big Blue's 27" BC

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »
I just traded for a buffalo classic 45-70 love the stocks but I want a 18.5 inch barrel so I'm going to cut it down and recrown

:o  AWK!!!

You do and I'll hunt you down like a dog!!!   ;D

If you want a shorter barrel you got other options!  Start with a standard 22" 45-70 barrel and cut it!  You can sell the BC here or probably trade with somebody!  Or sell the BC and buy a standard rifle and also buy BC wood!  Anything, but please don't cut that barrel that much!   :'(

But if you do, let me know and I'll but what you have left over...  :-\  for the right price of course!   :D
+1
I think the BC has a great feel to it. the long barrel ballances well.
If you really want ot make a shorty out of it then get one of the standard barrels and chop away.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
am seriously considering cutting one of the 32" BC barrels to 26-27" and rechambering to 45-90, the 26-27" length makes a good compromise.  ;)

Now what Tim said makes sense because the resulting length is still much longer then anything the factory offers!  I myself often think about cutting the barrel of my 45-120 down to 28 inches but would hate to do that in case I ever wanted to do some BPCR shooting!

But!  If I ever get another BC barrel, which I want to do, I would definately do as Tim said and cut it down to 26 - 28 inches and rechamber it to 45-90!   ;D  or maybe a 45-100...  No, a 45-90... :-\  ... Maybe I need 2 more BC barrels...  :-[

Anyway, as you see, there isn't much doubt you have a market available for the BC barrel!   ;D

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
Mister, you do what you want to enjoy that gun!  I have always been a lover of short, handy rifles so I understand your desire for one.  I bought a nice used BC and played with it a while.  Then I tried to take it hunting and couldn't manuver it in the blind.  So the next week I had it cut to 24" to make it the same length as a lever action carbine, and I enjoyed it that length for quite a while.  Unfortunately after my accident I could no longer handle the recoil and let it go down the road to another enthusiest, but he is enjoying it now.  Go for it and enjoy that gun!  Yeah, a BC is neat, but it's just a chunk of barrel and can be shortened just like all these .357's that everyone loves to cut down to make handy.  Tell Richard it's ok, they'll make more of them!  :)  But I do agree that 45-70's are fun and no one should own just one!  I miss sliding that great big cartridge into the breach and snapping it shut!  Now I play with the .45 colt Classic Carbine.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 11:54:25 AM »
Mister,

You could sell the 32" BC and find a 45-70 Talo Trapper H&R.  Barrel from the factory @ 18 3/4", there were a couple of them on gunbroker the other day.  Atlaw is off is meds right now so I wouldn't let him know where you live, especially if you chop the BC barrel. ;D

Somebody has a BC barrel cut to 27", I think it is Dinny.  Don't remember a range report.   I have a 18.5" 45/70 that I cut and crowned myself and it shoots as well short as it did long, just a bit more drop.

I believe one of the rules of Handyland is you must ream  your first BC to 45-120.  Least that's what the voices in my head told me. :P

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline mister

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »
Thanks guys the 45-70 is an addicting cartridge I currently own three a 22" marlin, 18.5 marlin gg and the bc is on its way. We do alot of truck hunting, so I have found that the shorter the barrel the better If I cut the barrel to 18.5" (shortest legal length in Canada) the total overall length will be 1.5" shorter than a marlin gg  ;D very handi. as our deer season is 10 months long and we are aloud 16 deer per season I still have lots of hunting to do. (The deer are sitka blacktail so they are tiny but tasty.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »
Do get the Trapper, or trade for something shorter. Cutting that BC down would be like using holy water to clean a bathroom, or making dog food out of Secretariat. Pass it on.
remember the starfish

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
You are going to end up with more than one H&R anyway, so keep this one long and another shorter one will come. Its kinda like," if you get one, they will come", its a 'homing' thing with the brand or somethin'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
hey, after you have experianced the 32" thrill and your then wanting to try a shorty.... chop away !!!!
thats one of the many handi thangs about these shooters....
i did and i'm glad i did... i got tired of it just be'n a target getter !!! cus ifin you hunt wif it 32..
you gunna make noise no matter how careful you are..
thats jus me tho.... i like take'n whitetail and hawgs from a plywood 5x5 shoot'n house.
  no more bump, bang, rub or cuss !!! ;D
oh BTW... mines a 120 now. its gets right on out there wif tha big boys @ 25" ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
I chopped a BC down to 26 inches and put it in the handi-grip stock set.  Kind of my own 45-70 ultra but with a 26 inch barrel.  Slightly barrel heavy in those synthetics, but the thumhole stock helps compensate and it shoot pretty accurately on my little range (about 1-1.5 inches @ 60 yards with Hornady factory ammo).  Have not had a chance to get it to the range yet.  Put on a simple flat crown and sank a 45 degree crown inside that.  One of these days, I will have to take and post photos of my handi big bore "family."

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
I sold my BC barrel because it was too.  You know, too long to hunt with, too pretty to cut up.  I have a 45-70 that is whacked to 18 in. and love it.  It is handy in a blind, accurate as all get out, and lays bambi low at the drop of a hammer.  I also have a 28 in. barrelled Shikari, 1972 manufacture.  It is more manageable than the BC was, but still too long for most hunting situations.  I personally wouldn't cut up a BC barrel, but hey, it's yours and so is the hacksaw..  I do know if I only had a BC and had to use it to hunt with, she'd see surgery in a hurry.   

Offline mister

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
Sorry guys I live in communist Canada ;) so trades are not possible. I will most likely get a 22" synthetic stock handi aswell.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
Not even just barrels?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mister

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
Not without alot of paper work and a dealer to do it. Not worth the hassle or time sorry.

Offline Shu

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 05:09:15 AM »
Your rifle, your choice. Just remember sometimes you can cut it off 3 times and still be too short.

I like short barreled rifles. Accuaracy has nothing to do with barrel length. Quality of the bore, barrel lock up, fore end pressure, crowning, bullets and powder do though.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:15 AM »
+1 on trade for a 22" then cut.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »
Sorry guys I live in communist Canada ;) so trades are not possible. I will most likely get a 22" synthetic stock handi aswell.

I'm only 65 miles from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  I went to a gun show up there a few years ago, and told the Canadian customs folks I was going to a gun show.  They tore my van apart and just about strip searched me.  I think they picked up where Hitler left off.  I aint going back.  I found a beautiful original Brown Bess Musket there, and couldn't get it out of the country with what I had available.  It was too long to go in a standard shotgun case, or anything locked.  I love our Canadian counterparts, but hate their stupid "Yankee Dumbassed" government.  Ya gotta get on the stick and get it changed.  Doesn't the NRA work up there?  What was it CR-68 or some other damned thing that took most of your gun rights away?  Sorry to be a crabby old man, but what's trying to happen here and has happened in Australia, Canada, and the U.K. has got me worried.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:12 AM »
Maybe I'm lucky but several years ago I shipped a barel to Canada.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
Billy,

What's your home address?

D. Doowright, RCMP

;D ;D
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
Barrels and stocks are shipped to and from Canada with no problems,  I've shipped barrels to Canada myself and I know other members that have dealt both ways, I've shipped  bullets and scopes to Canadian members also, just declare them on the customs declaration form, I always mark them as a gift, the USPS ha no restriction or prohibitions on firearms parts;)

Tim

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_003.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline uncledub

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Alabama, USA
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »
I agree with Tim about shipping barrels to Canada.  Sold a 45-70 some months ago, no problem on either end.
Young guys should listen to Old guys, they know stuff.

NEF 45-70 w/ 20 ga 22" barrel
NEF Pardner Pump Protector

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
Ahh, driving into Canada....what fun
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 02:52:49 AM »
Couple years ago, the boy discharged from the Army, was stationed at Ft. Richardson.  I flew up to help him drive back down home.  We hit the Canadian checkpoint at Beaver Creek around 2 in the morning.  Everything went well till the boy pointed to the picture of the Queen, and asked who the ugly woman was...........
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
Had to be Victoria, No ::) ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D  A while back I shipped a firing pin for an "Antique Lantern" to Australia for a fellow member.  They can lock me up if they can catch me.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491