Author Topic: CWC at the Dentist or Doc's  (Read 1488 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CWC at the Dentist or Doc's
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
Recently I was at the dentist's.  Here in Wisconsin we can't carry concealed legally but even where you can how do you address this problem?  I just locked the gun in the car and went to my appointment.  But I realize that some of you carry every where you go.

Thanks

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: CWC at the Dentist or Doc's
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »
Depends on if you think you are going to be asked to drop your pants.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »
Huh? The post does not make any sense.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
Well my dentist has never asked me to drop my pants so that's not a problem.  The nurse assistant at the doctors office usually hands me a gown and ask me to disrobe then leaves the room.  The doctor doesn't show up for several minutes giving me ample time to disrobe and stash my piece under my cloths on a chair.  After the exam the doctor will leave the room before I get dressed.  
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »
Larry was saying that -- who cares what the law sez and you can conceal very well while stretched out---I do it when I go to the dentist.
It is always cold enough that you need at least a windbreaker.
I agree with Larry.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
I have a tiny little gun and carry it in my pants pocket, so it isn't a problem for me, but I guess it could be for others.  Biggest problem is that stressful places seem to be more prone to crazy incidents, so medical (and mental) offices and even churches can cause a lot of stress in people which sometimes results in people doing crazy things. Probably a good thing to think about.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline freetrapper

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:44:56 AM »
You never know when you may need !!  When my son was in collage,  the doctor,s office he was going to in Ann Arbor, Mich a guy walked in shot the Doc dead. Today he carries every where and if he has to go to Detroit or Flint  he carries two just incase!!!!

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 04:56:01 AM »
My dentist is an avid shooter and gun collector...so it's not a problem.  My doctor regularly asks for my advice on self defense weapons. 

Besides, I just don't go places I can't carry a weapon.
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 05:11:20 AM »
Many doctors don't want your gun taken from you and used against them by someone wanting to steal drugs. I asked my wife and she said that's why they don't want concealed guns at her veterinarian hospital. I wouldn't  worry about it but I guess some folks do.

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
     My Dr.s and I have been together and thru ALOT for many yrs. I carry to all and disrobing isnt a problem except if for some reason I have to leave the room for some reason  x-ray, urine sample etc ) then I remind them that I have a weapon under the clothes in the chair, if wife is along I give it to her if I need to leave room.   Jim

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 07:01:26 AM »
Many doctors don't want your gun taken from you and used against them by someone wanting to steal drugs. I asked my wife and she said that's why they don't want concealed guns at her veterinarian hospital. I wouldn't  worry about it but I guess some folks do.

I see at least two problems with the logic in this line of thought.

1) If you are carrying properly concealed how is a BG going to know you have a gun let alone take it from you and shoot the Doc or his staff in order to get drugs?

2) What is to stop a BG after drugs from bringing his own gun.

If a BG looking to get drugs at the Doc's office does bring his own gun wouldn't it be more beneficial to the Doc and his staff to have an armed GG on hand to possibly intervene and maybe save lives?

Of course few anti-gun types seem to think logically because if they did they probably would not be ant-gun.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:16:37 AM »
Brett. It's because the insurance carrier says so. I think they just want to remove that option. The BG is going to have a gun anyway.... preaching to the choir on this one. I don't know what the premiums are for having a gun friendly dr's office that has DEA regs imposed in them would be I would not think it would be cheap. If it were me, I would at least keep somethin"close" and in the area. Don't know how the insurance thing works in that regard but that would make sense in that environment. But it seems the "powers that be" do not promote firearms in this environment. Even in CCW persons. In Texas, even state commissioned armed guards can not carry their weapons if a place sells beer. To me, its silly but I'm not a legislator. When I worked private sector years ago we would put our firearms in the glovebox when getting coffee at the Exxon, that sold beer. Yes, anyone with half a brain could pattern this and steal our weapons while we're in the bathroom. But, we were following the law. Same could be said as ti the exemptions to CCW laws. Where can't you carry them pee statute? Some are just silly IMHO. A polling place on election day? Really? Or a place that sells 51 percent of alcohol sales? Really? The world aint a perfect place.   

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
My dentist is an avid shooter and gun collector...so it's not a problem.  My doctor regularly asks for my advice on self defense weapons. 

I hope that you stay away from Post Offices and schools.  Even if you drop your kids or grandkids off at school on your way to hunt or at the range you'll be the next public enemy #1 if you even enter the parking lot!  They don't seem to take intent into account.

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »

I hope that you stay away from Post Offices and schools.  Even if you drop your kids or grandkids off at school on your way to hunt or at the range you'll be the next public enemy #1 if you even enter the parking lot!  They don't seem to take intent into account.

Actually, that's not an issue for me.  I have a mail box at the curb, and no kids in school.  As I said, I don't go where I can't carry.
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 02:23:37 AM »
As I said in my original post, in Wisconsin you can't carry legally. I really don't want to be caught so I don't use any method of carry that might show the gun.  In the winter we need coats.  I normally carry in a CC vest but not in the winter but I have a coat that I bought from the NRA that has an inside pistol pocket.  At the dentist's there is a waiting room where they want you to leave your coat.  I don't leave my truck keys in the coat much less my gun so I leave it locked in my vehicle which is usually only steps from the door.  Not perfect but it allows me to be armed most of the time.

Hopefully with our new governor and Republican legislature we will have CCW next year.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 02:51:24 AM »

In Va. it is legal to carry on school grounds if you don't get out of your car. If you get out it is legal to lock the gun in it . If you check you might find out eng rooms have alot of shootings ( here that is the case) . Often if the one in the emg. room was involved in a shooting someone will come to shoot them.
Also here many country stores double as a Post office , how do ya decide if the entire store is post office or just in front of the window
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jhm

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 03:20:42 AM »
     And I do know that my main Dr. carries a G-23 as we talked abt. it B-4 he got it and I have seen it during a CK up.   Jim

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
My doctor usually asks what I'm carrying. He knows I don't leave the house without one. My dentist . . . ? I think he just sees green when I walk in. He better not care. I've paid to put one of his kids through college.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."