Author Topic: A question about how you water proof your handi  (Read 2483 times)

Offline mattbowen

• Trade Count: (0)
A question about how you water proof your handi
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I have a question about how you water proof your handi to keep it from rusting when you hunt in adverse weather. I have all ways used a good car wax on all of my rifles and the water runs off, but I don't put it in the barrel.   
Draw Me Not Without reason, Sheath Me Not Without HONOR

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: A question about how you water proof your handi
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
By the year's end all of my Handi rifles (and a few others) will be fully Duracoated. Of course, the internals are not covered but I don't hunt in an area that requires that they are. If you are concerned about water getting down the barrel, I would suggest a neutral colored balloon on the end. ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
If you are concerned about water getting down the barrel, I would suggest a neutral colored balloon on the end. ;)

Another handi trick for that;
Get some rubber surgical gloves for 99 cents at the hardware or grocery, cut the fingers off and roll'm. you can roll'm down the barrel, the thin layer of latex blows right through with just pressure before the bullet gets there and does nothing to the flight or ballisitcs.
(Olde rainy day Muzzle loader trick)
found elsewhere

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:40:28 PM »
Stay out of the rain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
If I get caught in the rain it's an accident, and when I get home I just dry it off and oil it.  If I had to spend a lot of time in the rain, more than a day, I would just paint or duracoat it......

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
I've lived and hunted on the wet side of Washington state for over 50yrs, if you don't hunt in the rain, you may not get to hunt much!  :-\ I've used Eezox for the last 20yrs or so, it's about as good as it gets for protecting metal from the elements, Breakfree CLP would be a very good choice too and a lot easier to find locally. Seal a wood stock with Tru-oil.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10700/guntechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives#at

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
 Though some will curse me. On a gun I have no intentions on ever saleing, I will paint the barrels. I use the self etching green primer paint. I have had one old 12 gage shorty for 25 years. It was rusty when I got it. Cleaned and primed it. Has not had rust on it since.

I do have a couple that I really do not want to paint. I think they are going to get Duracoated.  ;)

Lonny

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »
Welcome Matt!
I agree with Tim,
 I too have been using Essox since the guy making it came into our shop to show it to us, some 20? years ago!! GREAT product, now its offered thru Remington and available to more people.
 The rubber glove, cutoff fingers is also widely known and a good trick. Hospitals also have an item called a "Finger Cott". I have also seen a specific "rubber" made just for gun barrels offered now too. If you watch the hunting shows, specifically Jim Shockey you will see he does this all the time!

Wax on the gun stocks and grease in the barrel channels. Not such a big deal in the handis, as they come off with one screw. But my levers get a good coat of grease under the forend as I rarely remove the fore stocks. If your going to do this, justs a note, be sure to seal the wood first as the grease will leach into untreated wood and could discolor it.

I also prefer open (peep) sites in the rain. I have a couple rifles I call "rain guns" and they always go with me for just such emergencies!!

Merry Christmas,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
Just Ask your wife to pick up a large box of condoms when she goes to the grocery store. They work very well to keep the end of your barrel dry and clean. No worries about them coming off if a rubber band is used to secure them.Just shoot thu them .
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »
When I used Handis it was so I din't have to worry about messing up an expensive rifle.  Don't worry be happy.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »
When I used Handis it was so I din't have to worry about messing up an expensive rifle.  Don't worry be happy.

I did to at first, then I gained a little more respect for them!!  :o ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 02:29:06 AM »
A question for you Eezox users. I applied Eezox to about half my firearms and then we went through a very humid 3-4 week period. Humidity and temperature were VERY high and my house has no air conditioning to help remove humidity. The only firearms that gave me a problem were the ones treated with Eezox.  I cleaned the firearms and applied a coat of Eezox and let it dry and then applied another coat a few days later. What did I do wrong? The firearms started rusting inside and out. I finally cleaned them and applied BreakFree several times, but the damage has already been done. JamesIII

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 03:08:50 AM »
james, i also experianced this with eezox. its mostly 100% humidity here on the gulf coast
and temp swings can go 50 degrees in just a few hours after a front moves thru.
and the salt/brackish water here in the swamp don't help either.
if i get caught in tha rain, i'll taker down and flush with diesel fuel and remove it with clp
and finally a fine coat of rem-oil.
sounds lika lotta work..... it can be to someone that don't mind a rusted gun.
i kan't even think of that....it'll hurt my feelins ifin i get rust  :'(  ain't gunna happen....no!! ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 04:27:53 AM »
I have not experienced this. Sorry to hear about it!! I clean the firearms and wipe them off with clean rags sprinkled with Essox. Long term storage gets a thin coat of grease instead of oil and then gets slid into a silicone sock.

My safes have golden rods installed, plus I keep some moisture absorption packs in there as well, just for good measure. I keep them in a room in my basement. I also keep a dehumidifier running in there and my loading room, year round.

I HATE rust and have too much invested to take any chances with it.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 04:34:42 AM »
all 3 of my liberty 48 gun vaults have dehumidifiers installed and are inside the conditioned shop.
its just the salt air and humidity..... ya jus gotta keep a grip on tha problem down here !!!!
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:35:52 AM »
Depending on the circumstances, a garbage bag can be useful.  Using Johnson's paste wax like some duck hunters do on the coast works very well.  As far as the bore, never had one rust.  Goatwhiskers

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 05:53:26 AM »
A question for you Eezox users. I applied Eezox to about half my firearms and then we went through a very humid 3-4 week period. Humidity and temperature were VERY high and my house has no air conditioning to help remove humidity. The only firearms that gave me a problem were the ones treated with Eezox.  I cleaned the firearms and applied a coat of Eezox and let it dry and then applied another coat a few days later. What did I do wrong? The firearms started rusting inside and out. I finally cleaned them and applied BreakFree several times, but the damage has already been done. JamesIII

I've never had a problem and no one I know has, and I know lots of friends and family that use it and all the extreme tests links bear that out. If the first coat was dry, why did you put on a second coat? Sounds like the second coat was too heavy and didn't dry maybe.  ???

Tim

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

**PLEASE READ THESE DIRECTIONS BEFORE USING**

NOTE: EEZOX® is not harmful to ORIGINAL factory wood finishes. If product comes into contact with rubber grips, wipe until dry.

1. CLEANING: Using only EEZOX®, clean all parts of your firearm, including bore, barrel, actions, mechanisms, metal surfaces and parts. Make sure all residual solvents, greases, waxes and Teflon coatings from previous cleaning are removed at this time. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO FOLLOW THIS CLEANING WITH OTHER PRODUCTS.

2. LUBRICATING: When the firearm is thoroughly cleaned and wiped dry, apply a very light coat of EEZOX® to all parts and allow to dry. This may take several hours on new applications. If too much EEZOX® has been applied, remove the excess with a soft cloth, being careful to leave only a light coating of EEZOX®. This step is very important. You do not want EEZOX® to lay in a pool and dry, as overuse can cause the surface to be sticky. If this has happened to you, simply clean your firearm again with EEZOX® and wipe it dry.

3. PROTECTING: Once the last application of EEZOX® has dried, your firearm is ready for use or storage. Although dry, EEZOX® continues to protect, both in use and in storage.

Offline mattbowen

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 12:33:50 AM »
Thanks for all of the reply's guys;

I have all ways used a coating of car wax ( I like the clear wax) on all of the metal surfaces and several coats of tung oil in the barrel channel. I have never had a problem, and living in the south like "gendoc" said the humidity in the summer can get to the extreme.     
Draw Me Not Without reason, Sheath Me Not Without HONOR

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:17 AM »
I cant remember who, but someone here strongly recommended Strike Hold.  I ordered two cans, and have used it very successfully.  It's a spray that dries to a dry lubricant and waterproofer.  I couple of years back I missed a shot at a nice buck at six below zero because the lube in my frame froze.  Strong Hold will flush that out and replace it with a dry lubricant.  I like it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
I also live on the gulf coast and humid day are a lot even in the winter, I hunt in the rain or shine I wont say I'v never had a gun that did not start to lightly rust but I clean them as soon as I get in and give them a good coat of rem oil and dont have any problem.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:26 AM »
It's called Rustolium.  Textured paint for the metal, feels like it has sand in it.  Accents Paint for the wood makes it look like a rock.  Works for me.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 05:44:58 AM »
Rog, isn't that the rifle that spent some time at the bottom of a river before it got that nice finish?

Tim

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »
i have been teflon coating on my ft stuffers and powder coating some of the rifles.....actions and barrels....i like the teflon best but its very slippery when wet............small town place got powderd for 40 bucks and tefloh a little more 50 bucks for actions and barrels..............jb

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »
Yes Tim, that's why it rusted.  Still shoots just fine, no water got into the chamber or barrel.

I've also done that to my Ultra .223, and a Mini-14, only they are white.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
My Dad's 1918 8mm Mauser metal has a satin black Rustoleum paint job in a cut down mil-stock heavily coated in sun cured True-Oil.
It always looks the same for 25+ yrs.
Ugly....but 'purposeful'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 02:25:09 AM »
Been using Johnson paste floor wax since I was 12 years old.  A long time ago, it seems.
When the hunting seasons run late and there's a really good chance for inclement weather, I usually break the gun down before range time prior to the season, give it all a good gunge, and gun oil and grease in the guts, except for the locking lugs/shelf/latch...
As to the bore, I leave it completely dry.  I use and keep a small roll of good electrical tape, give the barrel one layer across the end of the muzzle, and a wrap at least two layers thick around it to hold it on.  I've yet to have the tape interfere with the bullet to the point that it changed my first round zero.  Easy to remove, and it doesn't slip off, or rip, tear, and easy to re-apply.
Of course, now, I ain't on the coast, and even my trips to Alaska have been to the interior, so I'm dealing with light rain, or snow where I hunt.
If I was going to the coast, I'd probably do the same thing I usually do, and take the stainless Model 70 in synthetic stock.
Oh, almost forgot...I always have a small can of  WD-40 in a pocket or the bag, works great to displace water, and it really really helps get wet kindling going quick when I need a fire fast.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline spartacus1239

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
    • Just pics
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:56 AM »
A couple of heavy coats of Johnson's Paste Wax does the trick for me.  smear it on all metal and wood parts, let it dry, then buff it off... repeat and i have yet to have a gun rust.

Do this to all my bows. knives, axes and tomahawks also
My FFL holder requires any firearms to be shipped to them via another FFL holder.  So, If I make an offer on a firearm please let me know if this is capable of being done from the start.  Please do NOT mark an item "SPF" to me until we "both" are happy with and in agreement on shipping, funds and the transaction in general.   Thanks

Massive music geek, have a LOT of different headphones and headphone amps.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
I've used GunKote bake on finish on some guns. It works great right over a previously parkerized finish, but requires removal of any blue before being used. It's one tough finish! It doesn't matter much what you decide on though because anything beats rust.
Don

Offline peepingtom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
I like boeshield T-9 in a spray can. I spray the entire weapon inside and out after cleaning. Except the bore. Use breakfree clp for that. Let the boeshield dry 4-5 days and wipe off the excess. It dries hard, protects and lubricates. Hasn't hurt any wood I have but try on a small spot on your firearm first. Works great on saltwater fishing reels, too.

Developed by Boeing Aircraft to lubricate hard to reach areas during assembly.

It's hard to find. Bought mine on Ebay from a Bike shop.