Author Topic: Redfield scope review  (Read 3416 times)

Offline ejpaul1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Redfield scope review
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Kind of a new product, but I just picked up the new marlin XL7 in 270 and will be scope shopping. I really want to only consider an American made scope as I have 2 nikons and a ziess already. I am looking right at the 150 mark so if anyone that has actually mounted one on a rifle and shot it wouldnt mind ringing in on the matter, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, EJ

Offline tboy

Re: Redfield scope review
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »
Got a 3x9x40 on my STEVENS 200/.223. Liked it well enough to buy a 3x9x50 to get just a little more dusk and dawn shooting time.
To my eye, the glass rivals the VXII. I don't like the adjustments as well as some others but, they work pretty well.
I was buying the Weavers and the Burris Fullfield II's. I think I'' stay with the Redfields for low cost variables. That Leupy warranty is hard to beat.

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Good to hear. I have a while to save back up again, but I will probably be getting it all together here in the near future. I think after Christmas I'll head to bass pro and try a bunch of different ones out against each other in the same environment. I'll report back from that when I do. EJ

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
+1 on what tboy said.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »
I own two of the Redfield Revolutions in 2-7x33. OK glass, great eye relief, easy to mount with lowest rings you can use, because of the 33mm objective, and the last one was 109.00 with Cabelas code used at purchase.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
I have a 3-9x40 on my 44 mag and I love it. It's real clear and the click adjustments are right on. It's light too.
Great scope for the money and it's got the Leupold warranty. ;D

Spanky

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
Ive got two of them a 2x7 and a 4x12. Both have great optics for the money. In my opinion there better then a vx I or the old vari x IIs. The adjustments suck though on both of them. THere mushy and arent accurate. Sometimes a click gives me a 1/4 inch sometimes up to 3/4s of an inch and if you move to say the left 4 clicks and then return to the right 4 clicks they arent repeatable. There a good scope for the money if you intent on putting them on a gun and sighting it in for a load and leaving it at that but if i was buying a scope for a gun that im going to change loads often id have to pass.
blue lives matter

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »
bought a redfield 3-9x40 this evening. Looks like someone already mounted it on a gun and then returned it. I see no problems with it, clear, light, but the only issue I have with it is no rubber ring on the end you look into.
Kinda wierd reticle, I think  like it though. GOing to mount it onto my new marlin xl7 270.

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:11:32 PM »
After some testing against my other scopes, (ziess conquest, nikon prostaff's, a bushnell and a simmons) the redfield revolution is amongst the brightest. Really, it is close in clarity and brightness to the zeiss conquest. I dont know about that funny circle around the crosshairs but that'l be an on game decision. EJ

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
bought a redfield 3-9x40 this evening. Looks like someone already mounted it on a gun and then returned it. I see no problems with it, clear, light, but the only issue I have with it is no rubber ring on the end you look into.
Kinda wierd reticle, I think  like it though. GOing to mount it onto my new marlin xl7 270.

That reticle in case you were not informed is called the accurange reticle. Various points in that series of up and down lines/circles represent different yardage aim points. The aimpoints are explained in a separate brochure that comes with the scope new from the factory. If you didn't receive this with the scope I suggest you get one and then you would be able to figure out the different yardage hold points. Unless you already know this and are just jerking our bobber. ;D

I'm sure you can get this from the Leupold/Redfield factory.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 02:24:51 AM »
I plan on getting a couple of them for my second and third string rifles.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 05:17:33 AM »
Jerking the bobber just a little, but seriously, I think I like it. In the heat of the moment that circle might be easier to find the kill zone in. I did the the ballistic drop paper in the box. I think I can get used to it easier than the ballistic drop indicator on the pentax game seeker. That one just diverts attention from the main crosshairs which is usually what you use anyway. The circle is small though.
I am still amazed at the brightness and clarity when compared to the zeiss. EJ

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
personaly in that price range i actually prefer the 3200 bushnell. It has near as good optics and better adjustments
blue lives matter

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
So I've read a couple of articles on these and I've yet to see most of them get put to the test other than "looks good, decent glass, doesn't feel cheap" tests.  Chuck Hawks said they were "satisfactorily repeatable", which I have no darn clue as to what that means other than it ISN'T 100% repeatable.  I even remember seeing where one gun rag writer pretty much sold his soul to praise one...even providing a picture where the scope was put through the box test and the first and fifth groups were not overlapping.

Here is the best review I've found on one so far.  It isn't a bomb-proofing test by any means, and kind of gives you a bit better idea on the quality.
http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
personaly in that price range i actually prefer the 3200 bushnell. It has near as good optics and better adjustments

Me too except that they don't have enough eye relief for a deer rifle IMO.  They have better optics than most Leupolds.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
Hard to say, the 3200 is a real good scope for the money. The glass is right up there with any of the 300 dollar scopes. The market gets really competitive from 150-250 dollars, there's alot to choose from and most offerings are within millimeters of each other. Now having said that, here's the real dope: the best scope is usually the one you own and are happy with, it has a tendency to be better than scopes that you didnt buy. Once an animal is taken with it, the quality usually gets better:)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
The 3200s and 4200s are being discontinued.  They are cheap right now.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
I notice that they allways compare the Redfield to scopes that cost $50-$75 more!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
Yeah, its too bad that Bushnell is canc'ing the 3200 and 4200 series.  I was looking forward to trying the 3200 10x mil/mil, but have nothing to put one on right now.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
They will replace them with an improved model.

Offline metalman

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »
For what it is worth.... I purchased 2 Redfield 4 -12's in the past 3 months. One is on my Ruger .300 Win Mag and the other is on my brother's custom FN .308 Norma Mag. In both cases the reticle adjustments are absolutely spot on and can be repeated up or down or sideways and they will return to the original point of aim time after time. As for clarity and light gathering they equal my Leupold 3-9  VX III. I like the ability to easily acquire the target with these scopes. Both of the scopes have the AccuRange Reticle. My brother, who is 78 years old and has less than perfect eyesight, killed a respectable 5x6 bull elk in AZ 3 weeks ago thanks to great light gathering capability and his shooting skills. Please note, it is absolutely necessary to test the rifle, loads and scope at each incremental distance to insure reliablility in the field.
These scopes are excellent for their intended purpose and price range. If you are a serious long range shooter you are going to spend a lot of money on exceptional optics and these probably won't fulfill your expectations anyway.
Generally speaking these scopes are worth more than what you will pay for them no matter how you slice it.