Author Topic: What chronograph would you recomend?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
What chronograph would you recomend?
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
what chronograph would you recomend? I think come spring time I may want to pick one up. I don't need a fancy one with a remote. I just need one that is accurate and does what it is suposed to do every time. I have read some bad reviews of the Chrony so it will be out I think. I found this one at Midway and the reviews seem to be good on it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=852429
Do any of you use this one? If so do you like it? Does it work well on sunny days?
Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: What chronograph would you recomend?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:41:23 PM »
Dale, I have the one you up. It is a good one, I bought it as the reviews were all good for it.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »
Tim beat me to posting the link to the disscussion we had whilst you was gone.

Because of that thread and further research I chose the one Tim has. The Chrony F-1 Master, a basic model with one funtion. Telling me the speed of one bullet, other models that cost more are basically the same only they do the math for you, I can do math. Finding the Standard Deviation is a bit complicated, but I found one of several on-line progams that do it (free).
 The master models beat all the bad reviews, the remote display sit's on the table next to me and connects with a common telephone cable. I just jot down the info on a sheet and do the math at home. I'm not worried about haveing extra memory to hold the info, I got the data for the 10 rounds and that's all I need, 20 if I want. If you can bid a job, find distance of a 4-12 pitch or square a building you've all ready used math beyond what's needed for data.

All chronographs have issues with light brightness, snow and other conditions. I guess it's just a matter of experimenting/finding the proper way to provide what the photo cells need for light. They basically need a surface to reflect off of, a constant whiteish surface so they can "see" the shadow cast as the bullet passes. Direct bright sun shinnig on the cell can cause problem as it's too "light" for the shadow to be seen. Mount the chrono on a photographer tripod, tip it or even have it sideways so the sun isn't on it and the problem is solved. Bad reviews about any chrono because of sun shine just means the guy wasn't smart enough to figger it out.
 I should have delivered in a few days a laser bore sighter, slide it down the bore, bag my gun so it on target at 100 and the laser will point bullet path to the 10 yard distance I need for the chrony,,I don't wanna shoot it just yet
found elsewhere

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
ive got a pact and it works pretty good. A giant step up from the chronys i used to own.
blue lives matter

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:49:47 AM »
I noticed that Chronograph has 60 reviews and a 5 star rating, that in itself says alot!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 03:56:58 AM »
Oehler.

Of course one of the "all in one unit" types makes it easier to blow the thing away as a unit too.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:06:21 AM »
Just how far from the muzzle are you supposed to place the Chrony? I think I also want to check the BC of the bullets I am using because I hear some companies inflate their BC's to make their bullets look better. Have any of you found this to be true. I am currently using the Sierra Game King bullets 165 grain Spitzer boat tail. They say they have a BC of .404. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »
I have used "Chrony" for years. Just 6 months ago, I would have also said get the f1. Boy, not anymore. I had a MZ
sabot hit the display. I sent to "chrony" to get it repaired, not warranty as a sabot hitting the display is not their fault. They said repairs would be $60.00. They cashed my check & then later said the parts are no longer avail. I asked for my money back, they deducted $10.00 & sent a Canadian check for $50.00 & the local bank said it would cost $40.00 to cash the check. I will work with these folks next week & post the results in a new thread. Needless to say I am p(@@#$!!! They were good in the past as previously stated, but I would not pay $10.00 for their best unit now.

I would buy the model Dale showed in the 1st post, in fact I will soon.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: What chronograph would you recommend?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
Holy crap!!!!! That is unbelievable. :o :o I would be a little more than upset with them for sure. Take care Dale

Offline paul105

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
Dale,

I have the same Competition Electronics unit you linked above and have been completely satisfied with it (both of them -- I'm on my second one).  I shot a hole in the first one -- I got careless, and forgot the scope/bore relationship on an AR and shot a hole in the first one.

Unlike a lot of folks, I've had terrible luck with the Shooting Chrony (F1 IIRC).

A couple of tips on their use.

1)  Make sure your batteries are fresh.  There's a place in the battery compartment for a second battery -- keep a spare in there.

2)  Keep your muzzle 5 long paces from the front of the chronograph.

FWIW,

Paul  

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
I have used "Chrony" for years.
 ,,but I would not pay $10.00 for their best unit now.
That IS bad news, I hope that make it right with ya nomo, please let us know.

If I'd have heard that I may have bought a different unit. I guess I'll be carefull with the one I have,,(knock on wood)
found elsewhere

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:07:17 AM »
I have used "Chrony" for years. Just 6 months ago, I would have also said get the f1. Boy, not anymore. I had a MZ
sabot hit the display. I sent to "chrony" to get it repaired, not warranty as a sabot hitting the display is not their fault. They said repairs would be $60.00. They cashed my check & then later said the parts are no longer avail. I asked for my money back, they deducted $10.00 & sent a Canadian check for $50.00 & the local bank said it would cost $40.00 to cash the check. I will work with these folks next week & post the results in a new thread. Needless to say I am p(@@#$!!! They were good in the past as previously stated, but I would not pay $10.00 for their best unit now.

I would buy the model Dale showed in the 1st post, in fact I will soon.

That is a real red flag.   Are you in the U.S. or Canada.  Looks like a bait and switch on the dollars

US residents, please return your CHRONY to:

SHOOTING CHRONY INC.
3840 East Robinson Rd., PMB # 298
Amherst, NY 14228 USA

CANADIAN residents

CANADIAN residents and other Non-U.S. senders please return your CHRONY to:

SHOOTING CHRONY INC.
2446 Cawthra Rd, Building 1, Unit 10
Mississauga, Ontario
CANADA, L5A 3K6
Phone: 1-(905) 276-6292; FAX: 1-(905) 276-6295

I would file a compliant with the BBB and see what kind of response you get.

All Better Business Bureau services are available on this web site or by

Writing to us at our Regional office of: 100 Bryant Woods South Amherst, NY 14228
Visiting an office during normal business hours
Fax your request to 716-883-5349
Call us 716-881-5222 or for Upstate New York State residents only call 800-828-5000
For your convenience and the fastest service, all of our reports and a complaint form are available on this website.

Our office hours are 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM EST. Inquiry lines are open 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST.

Complaints against the Better Business Bureau

General Inquiries - For information on the BBB of Upstate New York.

If you would like to file a complaint please do not contact us via email. You may file your complaint using our online form. Complaints filed online are usually processed the same business day. Or if you prefer you may write a letter of complaint and mail to BBB, 100 Bryant Woods South Amherst, NY 14228. Complaints are not accepted over the telephone. For the fastest service, please use our online form.

http://upstateny.bbb.org/contact-us/

Regional Office

100 Bryant Woods South Amherst, NY 14228
(716)881-5222 - (800)828-5000 - FAX: (716)883-5349

I included the South Amherst, NY address because that is BBB that covers Chrony U.S. address.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 06:03:51 AM »
I had the Competition Pro chrono too. Never had a problem with it. I sold it to buy a recurve bow :-[
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
I have used the Pro Chrono unit for 10 years.  It does a really nice job.  When reviewing a string of shots, it gives the velocity of each round plus the high, low extreme spread and standard deviation.  The chronograph has performed flawlessly with one minor exception -- the thin plasic face plate will sometimes pop off.  It not too much hassle to get it back on.  I could glue it in place if I really wanted to but it is not too much hassle to get it back on and stays in place for the most part.  Hopefully they have fixed that issue by now.   

Have a great Christmas!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
If you are willing to spend the money "Oehler".  I have an Oehler 33 that is about 30 years old and still works perfect.

These units are selling used for very close to what I paid for mine new (about $300.00).  Do not know where they are now made but mine was made in the USA.

Ken 
NRA Life Member

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
Oehler is still made in Tx!  Just sent mine in for repairs...keep shoot'n the screens.  Also got new wires and elec eyes.  Bought mine new in 85 or 87.  Can google them.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »
the Oehlers are still the cadilacs of the chronos if you can afford one
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 07:38:31 AM »
Also...very nice folks to talk to for sure.  I bought one instead of a new rifle.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 01:30:28 AM »
yup theve totaly rebuilt my buddys 25 year old unit and have even replaced sky screens hes shot.
Also...very nice folks to talk to for sure.  I bought one instead of a new rifle.....
blue lives matter