Author Topic: Just a side note.  (Read 965 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Just a side note.
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »
While I have been loading for my 308 I noticed I had a few 243 and 7mm-08 cases laying around. I though I would run them through my 308 full length sizing die to see if I could turn them into 308 brass. They came out great. I was surprised :o ;D I was Able to expand the case mouth that far and not split the necks. Have any of you ever tried this? I started this thread for no other reason than to just tell someone about what I did and how it worked out. ;) Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Just a side note.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
I'm not that surprised.  I ran some 264 Win. Mag. brass through a 7mm Rem. Mag. die and they turned out fine as well.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »
You did good Grasshopper , woln't be long and you'll be moving necks in & out , shoulders forward & backwards , making 22 Hornets out of 45/70 case's  ;D Why ? Because you can and its fun . ;)

Works well to go from 270 to either 30/06 or 25/06 too , just have to watch the COL of the newly formed case's , as well as your neck thickness .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
You did good Grasshopper , woln't be long and you'll be moving necks in & out , shoulders forward & backwards , making 22 Hornets out of 45/70 case's  ;D Why ? Because you can and its fun . ;)

Works well to go from 270 to either 30/06 or 25/06 too , just have to watch the COL of the newly formed case's , as well as your neck thickness .

stimpy

I agree!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mule

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
For a long time I was reworking  .270, .280 and 25-06 cases into 30-06.

Had to stop all that when my son bought a .270.  270 brass reworked to 30-06 don't work very well in a 270. 
The wrong headstamp is a potential safety issue.  Document well and procede with caution.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
For a long time I was reworking  .270, .280 and 25-06 cases into 30-06.

Had to stop all that when my son bought a .270.  270 brass reworked to 30-06 don't work very well in a 270. 
The wrong headstamp is a potential safety issue.  Document well and procede with caution.
I understand your point for sure but I don't think you would be able to close the bolt on a 30-06 chambered in a 270. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the heads up. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
I understand your point for sure but I don't think you would be able to close the bolt on a 30-06 chambered in a 270. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the heads up. Dale

I don't think you could close the bolt on a 30/06 in a 270 either.  I make 8X57 Mauser out of 30/06 and you can close the bolt on that in a 30/06.  I only use military headstamped brass to make 8x57 so that I don't confused the headstamps.  It was a non issue until I bought a M1917 Enfield. 

Offline powdersmoke

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »
     I keep my reloads well labled, can't go by the headstamps. Got 3 barrels coming, one Contender and 2 Encore, 219 Donaldson Wasp, 25-35 Win and a 225 Win. All will have a 30-30 Win headstamp. Reforming brass can get addictive.

Offline shot1

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:01 AM »
You can still get 225 Win cases and I would encourage you to get some for your 225 win and not try to make them out of 30-30 win. The 225 case is much thicker and will handle the pressure that a 30-30 win case will not.

Some of the most accurate 260 rem cases I have ever had were made from Rem. Nickle 243 win cases necked up. I make all my 264 Win Mag cases from 7mm Rem mag cases.

Offline powdersmoke

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 06:14:12 AM »
    I know I can still get 225 cases, not really worried about pushing the 225 to hard. Got a 22-250, and 220 Swift and several other 22 centerfires. Just something to do, beats shoveling snow. I to use 7MM Mag brass for 264. Thanks for the comment. Have a Merry CHRISTmas.     Stan

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »
You may be a bit lucky stretching the 243 to 308.  The neck walls will be pretty dang thin and it will most likely lead to problems down the road...

But I would certainly not waste 7mm-08 cases to make 308 cases...

308 cases are a dime a dozen or at least they were a few years ago...

BCB

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
" I keep my reloads well labled, can't go by the headstamps."

That and a couple other's like it is why I don't wanna do this just yet, I have 308 and 7-08 and still use them both quite a bit.
I know I could keep straight, but if I die sudden like and my two nephews start fittin over who gets my gear they could mess up,, :o  ::)

I think I'll just play it safe an keep the head stamps what they should be. I guess If I had just one gun I'd be all over pickin up just any ole brass.
found elsewhere

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »
I have used 224 Remington, 6mm Remington, 7x57 Mauser and 7mm-08 Remington brass to make 243 Winchester brass successfully.

I also use the following successfully:
270 Winchester to make a 7x57 Ackely Improved (this creates the 40 degree Ackely Improved shoulder without fire forming).
308 Winchester to make 7mm-08 Remington (military or civilian make no difference)
30-06 Springfield to make 338-06 A-Square (military or civilian make no difference)

I have in the past used 300 H&H Magnum brass to make 257 Weatherby Magnum and 30-30 Winchester brass to make 25-35 Winchester brass which if done properly are flawless and saves money... (lots of neck turning and annealing required)

I accurately label all my brass and ammo and I have never had a issue in my over 25 years of hand loading.

yooper77

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
things  like that are good to  know
and to have some hands on experience is even better
things  may  not always be this good

NOW  STOP IT

for many reasons.....safety to be the main reason......NO IFS....

remember  30  years  ago ...you and i...  took my  old 35  remington  brass and  made  308 winchesters
they  shot fine  and  the 35  is not even  the parrent cartrige  of the  308
they even fed  flawlessly through  my  742 woodsmaster auto   

now  i have   a 35 rem  in  handi...marlin..and  lone wolf
AND  A SHORTAGE OF 35 REMINGTON  BRASS.......got tons of 308s

[ ain't tinkerin' fun??]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 12:04:43 PM »
I always found it to be easier to go up in a case,(.223 to 7TCU), than to go down,(30-30 to 219DW). I always had to neck turn brass going down, not a hard job, just a pain in the butt. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
This is one reason in particular I stick to two standard case types. The '06 and the .308 necked up or down will load rounds for just about everything with a long barrel I have. When they get bigger or smaller I stick to similar designs, so as to have extra brass in the event it becomes hard to get. Like for my 7mm STW, finding cases at one point in time, when I REALLY needed them was not happening, so I simply purchased a couple hundred in 8mm Rem Mag. A simply neck down and away we go.

In other areas if and when I DO use the parent case necked up or down, these are always noted on the boxes and kept together when cleaned or stored empty. The container is marked as to what they are as well as the loads used in them. This way, should I not be there when someone decides to do something with all things left behind, hopefully they will at least have a heads up on what it is and what to use.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Whenever I make a cartridge from a different brass...7-08 from .243 for instance..I always color the primer with a red sharpie...lets me know something is different..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis