Author Topic: Medium Velocity 44 Mag  (Read 2467 times)

Offline 277284

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Medium Velocity 44 Mag
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
Is there a lower velocity 44 Mag factory load or is there only 44 Specials to use.  This is mostly for easier to shoot & practice.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Medium Velocity 44 Mag
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
Look into the american eagle type loads.  The cheaper ammo isn't usually very hot. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:35:46 PM »
While much hotter than a 44 Special the 240 grain Blazer JHP would be worth a try.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:21 AM »
Most factory .44 mag loads these days are medium velocity at least compared to what they were back when I started shooting it. There are plenty of under 1200 fps factory loads out there with 240 grain bullets. It sure didn't used to be that way.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
And if you are using it for practice/plinking, .44 special is MUCH more expensive than .44 mag. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline HGunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 02:48:20 AM »
I have had good luck with Mag Tech 44 magnum 240 gr JSP.  This load is accurate, clean and reasonably priced.  The recoil is below average for 44 mag but I still get 1250 fps from a 5" gun.  If you want less recoil than that you'll have to go to something like 44 special in cowboy loads or CCI Blazer. The 44 special will usually cost a little more.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:15 AM »
It's not to late to ask Santa for some reloading equipment ;D  Make your own custom loads to fit your needs ;)

Merry Christmas

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I wouldn't pay for those blazer you wouldn't hit a barn wall at 10 yards. But you can get ultramax loads and bvac has a low recoil 250 gr swc load. These should kick less than a 38 http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Ultramax-44Mag-240Gr-RN-FP-Lead-NewBrass-CB44MN1_p_2033.html
In theory its sound ",but in practice its flawed

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM4971-1.html I shot those blazers loads and they was like a 38 but wouldn't hit crap but these from the reviews should be fairly accurate and kick less than even the blazer loads
In theory its sound ",but in practice its flawed

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
I found some reloaded .44 russian from a Cowboy Action shooter that are candy loads.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline 30calflash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
 When I got my first 44 mag (30 years?) the major ammo factories produced a mid range lead bullet 44 mag load. It ran about 1000 fps with a 240 grain LSWC. They did tend to lead though. I don't know if it is made any longer. Maybe a smaller or specialty manufacturer still provides it.
 The other option is to start loading your own.
Hold still while I overthink this.

Offline sixshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
  You absolutely have to start reloading, there's just no other way unless you've hit the lottery. Figure the cost of 10 boxes of factory loaded ammo & see what you come up with. Then start shopping for a used RCBS JR. or Rockchucker press & a set of dies, a scale & a powder measure. Its a lot of fun & satisfaction shooting your own tailored loads in your gun, give it a try, you'll wonder why you ever waited so long.

Dick

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:38 AM »
Check with Andy Rowe. He loads some great rounds at a very good price. He lists some of his loads, but he will load up anything you want.  http://www.cartridgeperformance.com/orders.htm
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »
Winchester 240 grain 44 Special Coboy loads, REAL PUSSYCATS, 650 FPS in a S&W 329PD 4in. Plinkers for sure, and accurate.

A good hard cast 250 grain hand loaded bullet, at 1000 FPS will shoot through anything you want, like Black Bear or deer. Vey light recoil.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »
Here's a place i just found for some leadcast ammo.   www.georgia-arms.com  I just purchased some of there ammo and it looks great.  They offer loaded ammo in jacketed,  FMJ,  cowboy and swc lead.  They have most of what your looking for.  I reload about 80% of the time but 10% will come from these guys and the other 10% will come from www.aimsurplus.com .  For all my leadcast bullets i can't beat www.snscasting.com too.  These are all top notch companies to deal with and there quality & service is unmatched. These people have there game on and i don't deal with slackers.    Bill

BTW;  Your going to ask me anyway, if i reload why purchase loaded ammo you ask?   Sometimes its cheaper to buy already loaded ammo if its affordable to the point were i can't load it for that price.  I get to shoot it once them reload it rather than just purchase the brass and load it.  We need to factor in all the cost of the components plus our time to reload it.

Right now i'm upgrading some of my handgun calibers with the LEE Pro 1000 presses, i figure to have one press for each of my popular handgun calibers like 38 special/357mag,  41special/41mag,  44special/44mag,  45acp and 9mm luger.  I can leave then setup and ready to go 24/7.  Then with my rifle calibers i'm going to get a lee turret press and a lee master progressive press too.  I have to speed up my reloading process to save time.  The older i get and the more i want to shoot, i don't want to waste time at the reloading bench. As we get older our time does get shorter.

Offline Ironworker

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »
Cabelas bulk ammo. My cousin gave me a bunch he bought thinking they were 44 special.  Sold as Cabelas "New 44 magnum ammo 240gr JHP. The brass has a W-W head stamp. These loads are so light they're boring . I took one apart and there was 10grs of a round flake like powder,but doesn't look like unique .  Any how they fairly cheap,but I sure wouldn't want to shoot a bear with the stuff.