Author Topic: Tired of hunting in the snow yet?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Tired of hunting in the snow yet?
« on: December 15, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
Was out for about 4 hours muzzleloading in the snow last Sunday.  Kept a glove over the accutrigger and bolt, one over the muzzle and kept the snow off the scope just hoping that everything would stay dry and fire.  It all worked great, gun fired as it should when needed.  Yep I killed that dirtclod on the pond bank good when walking back to the house.  Wish I would have seen a deer though, this dirtclod is a little bland.  Maybe a little salt would help.

Looks like another weekend of trying to keep everything dry.

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Tired of hunting in the snow yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »
I always have preferred to hunt with snow on the ground. It gives me visual confirmation that the trails I hunt near are being used. ML hunting always has been a challenge. At least we're not hunting the Pacific Northwest where it rains every other day. ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline dieselman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
Love the snow........... I was out last Sunday evening hunting in the snow, and like Dinny like to see whats going down the trails and in my mind I can see more whats goin on in the thick areas. And I get to use my snow camo for more than coyote hunting it don't seem like we get alot of snow in deer season. I will put my muzzle loader on my lap and just lean fwd and over the scope and primer area and it has not let me down yet. It is an older Knight in-line with the plastic disk weather kit on it with 209 primers.

Offline skinman

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
Nope, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! How good can it be? You can see them before they see you; the deer stand out and can be seen from farther away. Plus if the snow stays soft, it's nice to be able to sneak through the woods. It's my favorite time of year to hunt. Muzzleloader/Bow season, and the deer are far more settled down after being shot at everyday during gun season. I have taken more late season deer than any other, and have a few on my wall to show for it. Going on 28 years of hunting these magnificent animals and I just can't wait till next year!

Late season is best for me, most folks have either taken a deer earlier in the season or just can't stand to be in the snow/cold. I count success in the number of days I get to spend in the field, not by the number of deer I take each year. I see deer all through the season......can't stand to cut it short!

Yep, I never tire of the snow/cold.
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12:50 AM »
I really do not mind hunting in the snow either, I was more just trying to start some conversation.

I could live without the 1/4 of ice that we now have on the snow.  True you can hear the deer from a long way off now but it pretty much eliminates any still hunting.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
 I do love the snow. I do not like the ice. Although it makes for an interresting ride to work at 4am the moring of the precip. Plus the ice on top of the snow, it makes it hard to sneak around.
 Did see a pretty brown coyote running acrossed a snow covered field. Boy do they stand out. I think this would be pretty nice to huntem in.

Bullseye, congrats on your dirt clog. I always use ketchup to hide the bland taste of foods ;) Oh yeah don't boil them they tend to loose there shape.

Lonny