Author Topic: New "caster" problem *UPDATE*  (Read 829 times)

Offline BigMuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New "caster" problem *UPDATE*
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
Been casting now about 4 months. I am using RCBS and Lyman molds, Keith style bullets in 44 and 45. Am getting better with temperature control and all the little quirky things. I am having one problem with the Keith style bullets. On some, the forward drive band is not completely filling out. It happens occasionally with all of my bullets, so I know it is something I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

*UPDATE*

I finally had some more time to cast bullets and try some of the suggestions. It seems the "issue" was the temperature of my metal. I bought a thermometer, added ingots one at a time as soon as there was room, and kept my temperature pretty constant. If it cooled down too much I waited a few minutes for the temp. to get back up. I am one of those that "looks at the bullets" most of the time so I ran the metal at around 800 degrees. This resulted in bullets that were filled out nicely. I also started using a "hot plate" to keep my molds at a pretty good temp. as well. As soon as my first pot of metal was ready, so were the molds.

Thanks again to all of you for the help!

Dan
"Remember the Code"

Offline calvon

• Contributor
Re: New "caster" problem
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »
It's possible that your problem with the driving bands not being fully filled out is either a problem with your melt temperature or your mold temperature. If you have a lead thermometer, check your melt. The temperature should be somewhere between 700 and 850 degrees, depending some on your alloy. Before casting, and after your melt has arrived at working temperature, dip a corner of your mold in the melt. Count one to ten. Remove it and count one to ten again. Repeat this entire sequence, then begin casting. If your mold is clean and dry the bullet should be smooth and have a frosty patina. If it is wrinkled and your mold is smoking your mold probably has oil in it. Continue casting until the mold quits smoking and the bullets are smooth and frosty.

If you don't have a thermometer my suggestion is to get one. Also get a book, maybe two of them. I'd recommend Lyman's book and Veral Smith's book. Both are packed with great information on all aspects of bullet casting.

You are most likely entering a lifetime of great fun and entertainment. Good shooting and Merry Christmas!

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
Dan try putting in some solder in your mix the tin in it helps in the fill out of the mould D Crockett

Offline BigMuddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
Thanks guys! Something more to try. The learning is half the fun!
"Remember the Code"

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
the forward drive band is not completely filling out. It happens occasionally with all of my bullets, so I know it is something I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you are doing fine with just a little problem.  You didn't mention what metal you were using but I don't think that matters here.  Yes a little tin can help with fill out 1-2% is all that is needed for most situations.
  If you cast 100 bullets and ten or 15 had the problem you describe and 85 were good, I would ask why are they good ?  The answer would be because you are doing things correctly.
  So what happens to the few that don't fill out well ?  Cold metal or your mold is cooling off a little ??.
It can't be a dirty mold, It would not effect only an occasional bullet. Unless it was in the beginning of the casting session or you got oil or some other contaminant in the mold. Try to maintain the same distance from the mold to the pouring spout, or the way you handle your ladle.  Use the same casting cadence, If you add new metal to the pot let it come up to proper Temp.  Cast as cool as your mold and metal will allow,  Lead melts at about 621* F -- WW less about 550* F.  For me, I cast about 675*F. 
  Everyone has a little different hand at it, If I cast very fast I can use a little cooler melt.  Someone that want to look at every bullet and go slower may need a little hotter Temp. on the metal to make up for the cooling of the mold.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.  Keep having fun.

Offline BigMuddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
Thanks gray-wolf. I think you hit on the problem. When adding metal to my pot (an RCBS bottom pour) I have not really thought of letting the metal get up to any certain temperature. I usually add more ingots when I get down about half way. When it melts I start casting.

I noticed that some bullets I ran two days ago came out great, but I only did one pot and stopped. I can see I need to follow calvon's suggestion too..and get a thermometer. I was told I did not need one, but can see now that I do.

calvon also said to get some books....who needs books when I got experienced guys like y'all. ;D

Thanks again!!!

Dan
"Remember the Code"

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 03:30:08 AM »
I would check the face of the mold(s) be sure the air bleed out surface is clean maybe you are getting a little back pressure there
and the drive band is not filling?
I also think if you slow down your casting a Bit it will give the melt time to fill nooks(drive band) and crannies
I don't haveRCBS bottom pour I have a Lee Bottom pour,It has a temp control.
If your does also, I think you can hold off on the thermometor ,If you have the money get it, I think you can just try and adjust the dialsave the cash for more molds ;D I believe if you have a Frosty Bullet as was posted that is from Too HOT the bullets should look like your Ingot
DO you Flux after your Pot melts and when you add more too it ?

Tommyt

Psss
I just got a thought Do you Keep your Mold tilted as you Pour? so that the Melt rolls into the mold try different angles
when you get a full Mold/Bullet, Repeat with the same Pitch .
I bet that is what has been happening to you.

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
I think I see you problem you are letting the pot get 1/2 way down before you add more ingots to it I have a RCBS pot to only I don't let it get that low when I make my ingots I make them to weigh 2 1/2 to 3 lbs each that way I can add them to the pot and not stop casting I also made a sort of a gauge that tells me when I have used that much lead I made it out of a coat hanger and it hangs over the side of the pot hope this helps D Crockett

Offline BigMuddy

• Avid Poster
Re: New "caster" problem *UPDATE*
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:02:11 AM »
UPDATE!

I think you guys nailed my problem.

thanks

Dan
"Remember the Code"