Author Topic: Help.. Peep sights Win 94  (Read 2398 times)

Offline gaileyr

• Trade Count: (0)
Help.. Peep sights Win 94
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
I have a (1972, I think) Winchester 94. Over the years it’s been a good rifle. But lately I’ve noticed my eyesight isn’t what it used to be. Thinking of mounting a Williams 5D 94/36 receiver sight. My question is, will I also have to change out the front sight?  And if so what height do I use?  It’s the type of front sight that’s mounted on a ramp, not the one that’s dove tailed into the barrel.
Thanks, Ray Gailey (Hernando, MS)

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Help.. Peep sights Win 94
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »
from my experience the original front should work just fine
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »
That's just what I did to my 94.  The factory front sight should work fine.  I replaced mine with a Firesight of the same height and it's okay, just ugly!   :D

If I were to do it again I'd get a Lyman 66 receiver sight and a Marble's Ivory bead front sight.  Still might... some day... maybe...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline gaileyr

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
Just for my own info. What was the height of the original factory front sight? The reason I ask is my rifle has always shot quite a bit high even with a 6 o'clock hold and rear sight in it's lowest step.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
What was the height of the original factory front sight?

Shoot, I don't remember off hand.   :-[  I just measured it's height and ordered the closest one.  Wait, that might have been the front sight on my M92.   :-\  As I remember, Williams sells the sights as sets or by rifle model.   ???

Whatever, my 94 is an early 70's model also so it should be the same as yours.  I'll see if I can find the original and measure it again.  If I remember to... CRS and all that...  :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline gaileyr

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
Thanks AtlLaw, I would really like to know the height factory sight.  BTW... If you find your original sight and would like to sell. Drop me a line at gaileyray@yahoo.com

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
I have the Wms 5D on some rifles and the Fool Proof on others.  The 5D is ok but I think the Fool Proof is worth the extra. I still use the original front sight with ramp, mine's a 1968-69 vintage I think.  I like the peep a lot better than the opens.  Took one black tail deer on Kodiak with it.  Don't hunt with it a lot tho my son carried it for the first half of moose season this year.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »
 I "think" the factory front is .340.  My post 64 had a .340 on it anyhow.  I bought the Williams receiver sight, added a .125 Twilight aperture and a Williams red firesight.  Helped my old eyes quite a bit but had I a do over, I'd have bought an ivory bead front since the day-glo sights, both red and green can almost vanish with certain conditions.  Used this combo to take a deer at just over 130 yards last month, regular irons would have made this more difficult.

Offline Saltcreek

• USMC '72 - '80
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
I have a rifle from the same year. I prefer the Lyman 66 receiver sight on mine. I changed from the Williams. The Lyman 66 receiver sight has a button on it to push to quickly slide the rear up or down for a fast sight change without having to go through all the sight clicks. Then you can quickly go back to the original setting.
Help your own self, the Government is to busy tryin' to save themselves.

Offline gaileyr

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 06:04:45 AM »
OK, here's what I found out. Called "Williams" and they said using the Williams 5D receiver sight on my post-64 Winchester 94 with ramp front sight. I'll need to change out the factory front sight to a .343 height.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
Maybe, maybe not.  I've put a few of these Williams sights (5D as well as FP) on that particular vintage 94.  There was plenty of adjustment whereby I didn't have to change the front sight at all.  I suggest trying this:  Remove the plug screws from your receiver and install your 5D or FP. Set the sight at its second long graduation from the top of the little scale on the side, and tighten it.  This will be one big graduation from the lowest setting.  Then head for the range with some ammo and set up a big target at the 25 yd marker, with a small sight-n-see bull in the middle.  At 25 yd, from a bench, you shouldn't miss the paper, but you may or may not be high or low.  The first shot will tell you how much higher or lower you'll have to go. You may have enough travel whereby you can use the front sight that you have.  If you have to go adjusting it much higher than a bit over the midpoint, or if your bullet is already printing too high, then you'll need a higher or lower front sight.  The guy at Williams is going by his charts, but every rifle is different. I don't think I've ever had to change a front sight on a 30-30 Winchester carbine after mounting the front sight, but until you try, with your rifle, you won't know for sure.

I have and use Marlins as well as Winnies.  I've usually  had to change the front sight on a Marlin, but rarely if ever on a Winnie.  On either one, DON'T be banging the front sight out of the ramp with a hammer and drift punch.  Either have a gunsmith change your front sight, or if you have a sight pusher (Williams makes these and about every gunsmith has one) push it out the old sight with one of these and push the new one back in. With a sight pusher, changing a front sight in a dovetail ramp is a five minute job. Good luck.

Offline jimster

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 04:27:46 AM »
I have a Lyman 66 on my 30-30, it works with the orginal ramp sight with silver bead.  I have it sighted on for a tad over 100 meters with the heavier bullets, I still have adjustment in the sight to lower it if I wanted.  I'm not sure how the orginal front sight works out with lighter bullets, or those fancier soft tipped pointed ones, could be the load you use might have something to do with if you need a taller front sight. Mine has enough adjustment for Rem. corelokt bullets, or bullets similar to those.

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
From my experiance , with peeps on two Marlins and also two model 94 winchesters - take the info from who ever built the peep, and install the front site they ask you to use . There is a difference in should maybe , can maybe , and just knowing from experiance . I doubt if williams just want to make a few bucks, where you don't need it . No They just want to to be happy the first time , maybe them assured of another sale the next time .I have bought three so I guess it is working for them.
I have always found I needed a taller front site to get the rear in about mid adjustment . so you can tune your sites to what ever bullet / load and distance you need .Why try to make it work some- how ,just to save a few bucks.
If you can learn the hold over or under , then be my guest , as I will have had more than enough time to get a good solid shot off .
Happy

Offline gaileyr

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 09:52:37 AM »
jlchucker,,   Thanks for the info.  I ordered the Williams and set it up just as you said.  It worked !!!  I had to make very little adjustment to zero the Federal 150gr load I use.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
jlchucker,,   Thanks for the info.  I ordered the Williams and set it up just as you said.  It worked !!!  I had to make very little adjustment to zero the Federal 150gr load I use.

Glad it worked out for you.  I don't think I've ever had to replace a front sight on a 94 carbine when putting on a Williams peep.  You can never tell with a Marlin though, but the same process that I described is the one I'd use. Now you need to go out and do some shooting with your creation.  And you did it all yourself, too!

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
Another way to go about it is to set the peep so the open rear sight and the front sight are centered in the aperture.  Then fold the open sight down, take it off or whatever you plan to do with it.  the peep should be close to the same as your open sights were.  I know this is too late for this rifle, but it might help the nest person.

-WH-

P.s. - I also recommend the Foolproof over the 5D....
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 05:10:43 AM »
Another way to go about it is to set the peep so the open rear sight and the front sight are centered in the aperture.  Then fold the open sight down, take it off or whatever you plan to do with it.  the peep should be close to the same as your open sights were.  I know this is too late for this rifle, but it might help the nest person.

-WH-

P.s. - I also recommend the Foolproof over the 5D....

WH, I hadn't thought of this method before, but it makes sense.  A lot of Marlins come with the folding rear sight, so as long as the rifle doesn't move while you are setting the peep, they should result in a first-round hit that's pretty close.  I agree with you about the FP over the 5D. Especially if the idea is to use various loads out of the same gun. The FP is a lot easier to adjust, particularly for windage.  If the gun is dedicated to one load though, either one will outshine the factory rear sights.