Author Topic: Bond Arms or Taurus Judge?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Bond Arms or Taurus Judge?
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
Let me start off by saying I have no need for either except as a fun gun. I am not considering either for CCW or HD.  Just thought one would be fun to play around with.  I have owned Taurus guns before but it seems like there are a lot of negative things said about them.  Do I dare risk my money on the Judge or is the Bond Arms a higher quality gun?  Thanks for your input.

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Bond Arms or Taurus Judge?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
My experience with Taurus' costumer service has been awful.  Consequently, I can't recommend them.  They just don't back their products--to my satisfaction anyway. 

I have wondered about the Judge. While it would be fun to play with, I don't see it as particularly useful except perhaps as a snake gun.  And then, I would ask myself, "Do I really want to carry something like that around?"

Some see it as a self defense option but there are far better ways to go.  I have heard that someone is developing a shotshell round specifically for the Judge but whether it actually happened, I don't know. 

Have a great Christmas!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
Thats kind of the way I am heading.  I have read nothing but complaints about taurus customer service and nothing but accolades for bond arms customer service.  I cant afford to waste money on a gun that has such a potential to be a piece junk.  I know Graybeard has strong feeling about taurus.  You know what they say: "A smart man learns from his mistakes.  A wise man learns from others mistakes."  Thanks for the post.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:18:11 AM »
I too have had crappy service from tauras. On the other hand bond guns are quality pieces. Ive shot my buddys 44 mag with 300 grain bullets ahead of 22 grains of 110. A load this is quite stout in any gun and his gun has ate hundreds of them. THe experience is about like having a stick of dynamite go off in your hand though and i dont recomend it to the recoil shy. My point is there a very stout gun that will take alot of abuse
blue lives matter

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »
I had the Bond 45 Colt/410,  it was a very well made firearm.  I had intended to use it for concealed carry but it was just too chunky.  Once you have the initial body, you can get additional barrels of different caliber;  like a TC. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline rogertc1

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:57 AM »
I have both. However a Bond Arms is a 2 SA shot Derringer and the Judge is a DA 5 shot revolver. I'd rather take a Judge to a fight myself.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:41 AM »
If I may suggest before wasting your money on either look at a BFR 45/410 revolver . Why ? Well I had the Bond , had to have one also had 2- American Derringer 38/357 mag and 1 AD 44 mag derringer . Shot them alot at first and realized a 5 shot j frame fit in a smaller place and weighed less and offered more fire power. The bond patterened better with the 45 Colt rounds than either buck or bird shot . talk about a donough pattern with fine shot . I have never shot the Taurus but have owned other guns they made . One was fine the other two wre not so good. I have handled the judge and it just does not feel like a quality gun to me . These are my opinion only so take them with a grain of salt . But it won't hurt to check out the BFR . ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
I consider both novelty guns and a poor choice for anything short of entertainment. Between the two, I think the Bond Arms in the largest caliber available would be the most fun. Speaking from limited experience (2 Shots) the 45-70 is pretty entertaining !
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
I shot a 3inch deinger in 45-70 once....just once!  I had a theory that it could be shot by placing the off hand on top the barrel to hold it down.  It worked but the front sight, (which was useless), sliced the side of my palm. ???  If it had been my gun I would have ground off the front sight.  8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:22:14 AM »
I shot a 3inch deinger in 45-70 once....just once!  I had a theory that it could be shot by placing the off hand on top the barrel to hold it down.  It worked but the front sight, (which was useless), sliced the side of my palm. ???  If it had been my gun I would have ground off the front sight.  8)

Yep, once is enough for most sane persons. Some of us are slow learners!
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »
NEITHER !!
If you want a fun gun---get a .22 rifle.
You can get into a Marlin mdl 60 cheaper---lots more fun.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:11 AM »
I think I will stay away from taurus from the things I have read here and elsewhere.  If I come across a Bond Arms and have the money I will Probably get one just for poops and giggles.  And I have a ruger 10/22 that is a blast, but I want something different.  Thanks for all the responses.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:27:49 AM »
Here is my "something different".

.......and it's a "useable" 410.  Somewhere on the web a guy (maybe a member here, can't remember) posted helmet cam video of his Contender pistol rabbit hunt with dogs.  What a hoot!!

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
get the derringer!  they are a lot of fun, more so if it dont breath fire.  IE 38 spl 45 acp ect.  as for ccw there are better options.... but the derringer design has been around a long time.  maybe its got something going for it.  i know i like mine.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »
if you want a REAL gun to shoot shot thats the one
Here is my "something different".

.......and it's a "useable" 410.  Somewhere on the web a guy (maybe a member here, can't remember) posted helmet cam video of his Contender pistol rabbit hunt with dogs.  What a hoot!!

Curtis
blue lives matter

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »
That video I saw was on U-tube.  Great stuff!  Here is a short one but there are longer ones if you like to watch the Beagles work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoIwXrmi_U  I caught the guys shadow in one vid and it's not a helmet cam, he's just holding the camcorder in one hand and pistol in the other!

Curtis

P.S.  Sorry for the off-topic post but I couldn't resist.
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »
I would consider both the Bond and the Judge fun guns, something I would carry simply for snakes, not self-defense. For self-defense I'd much rather carry a SP101 or a snub nosed K frame.

For snakes, I'd rather carry the derringer than the clunky Judge.

As for Taurus, like so many others that have had a bad experience with first the gun, and then the Customer Service, I could never recommend one. If you're gonna buy one, buy American and get a quality gun made in good old Granbury, Texas. Plus, as stated before, you can change barrels and shoot another caliber.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline mjbskwim

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Taurus,I have had them and sold them soon after.Just poor quality,in my opinion.I have heard of problems with the Judges also.I guess there has been a few around here sent back.

Now the Bond arms?
Now that is a well built weapon,right there.A little brutal for my taste (in 45lc/410 or 45acp),but is probably built as well as any other gun you can buy.
Plus if it's for a "fun gun",how can you have more fun than getting a gun you can change to any caliber you want?
Well at least 13 calibers.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
Definantly gonna get the bond arms.  Would like to handle one before I buy.  Cant seem to find anywhere that carries them though.  Anyone know of anywhere in northern UT or southern ID that has them regularly. 

Offline hogcowboy

• Do everything like your life depends on it.
    • Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
I have a Judge and like it.  But then I might have just got a good one.  I do however plan on getting .45/410 Bond as well.  Then I can see for myself why everyone wants a Bond.  So I say,  get both.  If one is fun, two will be twice the fun.

Patriot Guard Rider

Offline mjbskwim

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
Definantly gonna get the bond arms.  Would like to handle one before I buy.  Cant seem to find anywhere that carries them though.  Anyone know of anywhere in northern UT or southern ID that has them regularly. 

As it was told to me,Bond Arms makes what they can make efficiently and no more.They ain't gunna hurry up and lower quality.
The stores get what they get too.You can order a gun,but takes a while.

I bought the Texas Defender in 45acp for my Motorcycle carry gun.And I had a 1911 to go with it.
Then I ordered the 4 1/4 Snake Slayer barrel,in 45lc/410 and the nice extended grips to fit my hand better.It was a beast worthy of clubbing a attacker's head.(it weighs about the same as a full size revolver)
Just a little too much kick for me.I think in a smaller caliber it would be a great gun.

Good luck finding one!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 02:16:50 AM »
Had the 45/410 Bond gun , hope if you get one it patterns better than mine did .

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 02:49:25 AM »
If you get one for 45 Colt only it will accuratly shoot 45 Colt.  If you get the 410/45colt it shoots the 410 slug the most accurate.  Some like the triple 00 Buck for a spred pattern. 8)  I had the 45/410 couldn't find the 45 Colt only and did not take the time to order the strait 45 Colt barrels.  Traded it insted. >:(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 03:20:36 AM »
Mine patterened fine shot like a doughnut pattern. As for buck shot or slugs or 45 colt I can't think of any time 2 shots that have to be cocked and almost at arms length would beat a lighter to carry 5 shot 357 mag.
And I have had better results shooting snakes and rats with 38 shot loads than 410 doughnut patterns .

Offline Savage

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 05:12:33 AM »
My experience with shot loads in rifled barrels has been similar to Shootall's.  The Bond Derringer, is like carrying a brick, as large an envelope as 5 shot snubbie, slow to get into action, even slower to the second shot, slow to reload,  uncomfortable to shoot in any serious caliber, and inaccurate. The only thing they have going for them IMO in they are fun to shoot in the larger calibers, especially if you like a little bite on both ends of the gun!
Savage

Offline mjbskwim

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 05:28:38 AM »
+1 on the pattern
The barrels have about 3/4-1" of rifling that really messes with the pattern. I was trying to hit a pop can at about 20ft and nothing.I was using some russian shells with 5 discs instead of bbs but bbs didn't do any better.
I have to agree on the pistol shot shells also.I shot one thru my 1911(only one cause they don't feed ;D) and it patterned pretty dang good.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Going back to the beginning, this is to be a fun gun. However, .45 Colt and .410 ammo are both kinda expensive to shoot for fun, especially the .45 Colt. The Judge is a big gun, and neither Judge nor Bond derringer is going to be worth flip if there is any distance involved. For a fun plinker/woods gun I'd suggest a good used S&W .38 from GunsAmerica (for example) for around $350 and shoot the cheaper .38 loads for targets, cans, and critters, and shot shells for snakes. Shooting more is more fun to me (.38), and I think the novelty of these two guns will wear off pretty fast.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
In our group of ex-Arizona Rangers, two members shoot the Judge,  neither have any trouble with accuracy at 10 yards.  Anything more than that isn't going to be considered self defence anyway. 8)  The Bond Derringer I owned was good at that distance as well.  I did find it to large for it's intended purpose which is why I no longer have it. ;)

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
Let me start off by saying I have no need for either except as a fun gun. I am not considering either for CCW or HD.  Just thought one would be fun to play around with.  I have owned Taurus guns before but it seems like there are a lot of negative things said about them.  Do I dare risk my money on the Judge or is the Bond Arms a higher quality gun?  Thanks for your input.

The Rossi Circuit Judge looks like a fun gun to play with. Not for anything practical,but its just seriously cool.