Author Topic: Ebay sellers  (Read 1353 times)

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Ebay sellers
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
There must be a lot of dumb people buying reloading stuff there just looking at the overall prices.

I can't fathom what some of these sellers are asking for stuff i'm looking for a set of either RCBS or Redding FL dies in 338 there is a seller there asking $90 in BIN for a set of RCBS FL dies + shipping.

Midsouth is $27.73+ ship.

Give me a brake.

I go back as a seller on ebay to 1997 boy has that place changed.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ebay sellers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »
A friend of mine buys tools on sale at Lowe's and resells them there most of the time he doubles his money.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
I quit even going to flea-bay after they stopped the selling of brass & bullets , at one time you could find some great deals , BUT not anymore , it just seams that about every seller is tacking on outrages shipping & handling charges to the few gun related items that they do allow .

Stimpy   
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
I use to have access to buckets of brass for free I made a lot on ebay will never forget when Ruger came out with the 375 mag I got my hands on 500+ cases 1x fired this was before the gun hit the market FS, guys were bidding the Hornady brass to $1.50 a round and I sold it in lots of 50 starting at $9.99 if it only sold at that price it was fine with me.

I have no problem with guys over bidding that's part of the game, but these guys listing stuff at outragous prices on BIN just aint were it's at people just start getting turned off to using the site, guess they figure there is a fool born every min.

I pert much quit selling when the bullets and brass was done away with.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
Stimpy

Man back then there were some killer deals on bullet auctions if you hit them at the right time some cases it was 10 cents on the $ once I got 500 rds of Norma 77gr SP bullets in .264 for like $10+ship they shot so well in my 260 i'm still hording the last few hundred rd.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
...and there were boatloads of Contender and Encore barrels at reasonable prices!  Now I just poke around on there to look for stuff that I can't find anywhere else.  Usually not there either!  I purchased a toy for my daughter for Christmas because all the stores around here were out of stock.  Fortunately, I actually SAVED about $15.00, but that's unusual.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
I used to like ebay and bought alot of stuff but now they are all paypal or nothing and there is no way in hell I will ever have paypal. so that was the end of ebay for me. 

Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
Paypal works great, I have no political agenda and I don't care what there's is.
If and I mean If, I find a bargin I'll use it, Members buy and sell here with paypal, CLICK and it's done.  ::)  ;D  8)
found elsewhere

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
A couple years back I sold off a bunch of reloading stuff. I had bought a couple box lots of stuff at an auction, for pennies on the Dollar, the stuff I had no use for I sold on E-bay. I actually felt sorry for some of the bidders. Most of them must have no idea what this stuff sells for new. I would check the sale price, and 9 times out of 10, they took the bidding up higher than you could get the same stuff on-line new.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:30:38 AM »
I recently perused Leupold Mark 4 scopes on eBay.  There were a couple of obvious Chinese fakes one of which I reported to eBay.  I received an e-mail from eBay saying something like "thank-you for letting us know, bla, bla, bla."  Did they pull the add?  No.  Now someone out there has a piece 'o feces fake Leupold they bought for $700 that has NO warranty.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »
Buyer beware, Just like a gunshow or real auction.

I have bought and sold over 1000 items on e-bay.

They no longer allow the selling of barrels, brass or bullets on Ebay. you might see a BP barrel ever now and then but even those get removed at times.
There is someone selling some nice looking Encore stocks on there now and they are going at so decent prices. Their Dillon presses seam to sell for more then what I can buy new for.
In the past if I saw something on sale 90% off I wold pick it up and list it. But now with shipping, e-bay fees, paypal fees, it is no longer worth it. One big advantage to E-bay is someone will usually have what you are looking for. Back when you could not find .380 ammo I bought a set of dies at new price off e-bay. But no one else had them in stock at any price.

Doug

Offline dickttx

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:43 AM »
About 6 months ago, when I started getting back into reloading, I checked e-bay for items I needed.  I never found a single case where e-bay was cheaper than Midway.  And the shipping was more than Midway also.

Offline telebasher

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 06:02:32 AM »
I was looking at some ingot moulds, guy wanted 30 bucks plus 15 shipping  so I asked him why so high, for the same money I could get TWO brand new from any mail order house.  He would't reply, probably to busy counting his money or looking for another way to scam somebody.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:09 AM »
I picked up 2 lube sizer dies over the weekend one was was 14 bucks shipped and the other one got bid up to 20 bucks shipped.
Pretty good deal considering the big reloading houses wanted $14 alone just to ship one and then special handling fees and blah blah blah.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline scootrd

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 06:45:31 AM »
I like armslist
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:33 AM »
...and there were boatloads of Contender and Encore barrels at reasonable prices! 

^^This

Many years ago I bought my 209x50 stainless encore barrel with forearm, and a red dot for just over $200  barely used.  At the time it would have cost me well over $300 to put that same package together.

It's like anything else in life though and you have to do your own homework before buying anything.

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »
When I first joined ebay 1997 I bought a box lot of old outdoor life Mag. there was something like 143 magazines from about 1903 to 1926 I paid about $40 for the lot and another $15 to ship many of them had the cover signed by the artist I listed and sold about a 100 over a years period of time 5 years ago, many went in the $70-$90 range for each I saved the money and went to Argentina dove and duck hunting.

My local Wal Mart sporting goods dept was my best friend for years buying marked down ammo and close out fishing lures and line when thet quit carrying guns in Ca. I bought a large number of Remington chokes for 25 cents ea needless to say ebay saw the most at BIN for $5.99 to $9.99ea.

I also sold many a gun on ebay.

At first I would get a little nervous when stuff went for more then retail figuring this is going to be a neg FB but out of over 800 sales I only got one I sold a gas trimmer (Echo) local sale only the guy picked it up at my house and it was running and working just fine 2 weeks later a neg FB said it would not start on the first pull.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »
I've made a barrel of money on eBay and I've bought hundreds of gun related items there.

It's just a matter of figuring out how to work it.

It allows me to support my habits for free.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline scootrd

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »

I thought ebay did not allow firearms sales ?????
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Its amazing how people get caught up in the biding on e-bay.  Just a few days ago, I looked up a particular Nikon teleconverter I wanted.  Someone had purchased a lot purchase of photo gear, and had 4 of the converters I was looking for, ending in about an hour.  I bid $200, and let it ride.  Standing bids were at about $95.00.  When I checked back later, all had sold in the $325.00 range, plus $15.00 shipping..

I went to the B&H Photo site, and found the same lens, new, with a one year warranty, and free shipping, for $299.00.

I have used e-bay quite a bit in the past to sell old farm hand tools purchased here in PA to "collectors" for 3, 4, 5 or more times then I paid.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline rdmallory

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 02:05:04 AM »
I thought ebay did not allow firearms sales Huh??

At first you could sell just about anything. I remember someone selling a Kidney before they stopped it.

It is in East Bay Ca so in understand about the firearms.

Doug

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 07:51:15 AM »

I thought ebay did not allow firearms sales ?????

I think they stopped guns about 1998 then sellers started taking them a part and selling barrled actions with a wink and nod that you could buy other parts is you won the auction.

I sold a lot of collector ammo box's after they stopped allowing ammo sales my catch line was simple box has never been opened or it does not come with loaded rounds as pictured due to ebay rules.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »
You can still break down traditional muzzleloaders and sell the parts.  Don't list the barrel and stock at the same time.  Most stocks are still permitted.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »
If you are a pure Capitalist with no political agenda, that is your personal perogative. However, if you are a gun owner you had better adopt a political agenda or you wont have guns and then, of course, no need for an agenda. 

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »
If you are a pure Capitalist with no political agenda, that is your personal perogative. However, if you are a gun owner you had better adopt a political agenda or you wont have guns and then, of course, no need for an agenda. 

just because your paraniod, doesn't mean their not out to get ya,,,
found elsewhere

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »
The problem with ebay as a seller is that you might get a good bid price, but you don't get to keep much of it. They charge you to list an item, they charge for pictures, they charge for a reserve. They require that you use PayPal and they charge you to use it. On GunBroker there is a small fee that is paid when an item sells, and not until it sells. You can deal in money orders. If you sell something and take PayPal the buyer can get his money back even if you did nothing wrong, it is called a charge back. Sellers can not leave negative feedback for buyers, and some people try to extort money threatening a negative feedback. All shooters should get off of eBay and use the sites that support the shooting sports. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 01:39:08 AM »
Often I sell items for 10 to 100 times what I paid for them in a junk shop or flea market.  I can afford to pay a little.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 01:50:23 AM »
The problem with ebay as a seller is that you might get a good bid price, but you don't get to keep much of it. They charge you to list an item, they charge for pictures, they charge for a reserve. They require that you use PayPal and they charge you to use it. On GunBroker there is a small fee that is paid when an item sells, and not until it sells. You can deal in money orders. If you sell something and take PayPal the buyer can get his money back even if you did nothing wrong, it is called a charge back. Sellers can not leave negative feedback for buyers, and some people try to extort money threatening a negative feedback. All shooters should get off of eBay and use the sites that support the shooting sports. Shotgunner

Most of what you say is true but:

1.  You're not charged for the first photo.
2.  Many times there are extended periods with no listing fees.

I do have political agenda and though I do use eBay and PayPal occasionally, it's a LOT less than back in the day you could buy gun barrels there, could leave negative feedback on a buyer, could get paid with something other than PayPal and ALL feedback both good and bad was posted FOREVER.

Offline rdmallory

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 02:53:30 AM »
It is just like Craigslist.org on large items If it is too good to be true it is probably a scam. Even if the person has good feedback. They will sell hundreds of low dollar items cheep to get their feed back up then post a high dollar item with a buy it now about 1/2 price. I have purchased and sold Cars, trucks, bulldozers, motorcycles and a lot of other items. Just look it over good before you pick it up.

E-Bay Member since: Oct-22-99

Doug 

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 04:04:35 AM »
Try buying or selling something at a real auction. The fees will make Ebay look like a gift.