Author Topic: Brass question?  (Read 835 times)

Offline twohats

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Brass question?
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
I am gonna start reloading soon and I have been collecting brass.I recently got some Hornady .444 brass and I noticed it was much shorter than my REM brass.Why is this?I am learning as I go so heres my first dumb question..Thanks
The ground is always level at the foot of the cross..............

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Brass question?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »
Let me guess , it was from some of their Evalo. ammo , Hornady did that because of the COL of that ammo , they needed to keep it with-in spec to fit standard chambers & mags .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
twohats there are more dumb ansewers than dumb ?'s  ;)
That was an extreame example and ansewered well . When you start reloading get a lee hand trimmer ( it can go in/on a bat drill) anyway the polit/guide  on the cutter will size for you . Easyest way to go on standard rounds. You need one for each round but they are not so expensive.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
Maybe size was a bad choice of words it will limit the trim to the correct length
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
Something else you have to consider , the shorter brass will lessen your overall case cap. os take that into consideration when working up loads with those case's .

stimpy

PS - The only DUMB question is the one NOT asked !  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
What you have is unique to the Hornady Lever Revolution ammo with the pointy plastic tip bullets.  It forces you to buy their bullets if you want to reload that brass.  It's the reason I don't buy Hornady components.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
It can still be used , just need to seat the bullet out a bit more , works great in single shots were crimp is not an issue .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
Personally, I would discard the Hornady brass unless you're going to recreate the LeverEvolution ammo.  All of the load recipes you'll find are for standard length brass and if you try to use them in a shorter case you could end up with serious pressure spikes. Of course, you could also use the LE brass exclusively and develop loads for it. But I think trying to develop loads for both standard and non standard length brass will be a great deal of work and you'll have a greater possibility of making a mistake. Of course that's just my opinion.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »
But as Stimpy said it's not a problem if you don't need to crimp, You wouldn't even need to adjust your seating die. If you are not crimping who cares how tall the brass is.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
It can still be used , just need to seat the bullet out a bit more , works great in single shots were crimp is not an issue .

stimpy

This is the obvious answer alright but there is another.  Since you're going to start loading you just as well start casting also.  Get a Ranch Dog 300 gr. mold for the 444 and cast some up.  You'll find the Hornady brass fits these slugs perfectly.  This has been the only slug I've used in 444 for quite some time now because I've found no commercial slug that works anywhere close to as well.

Offline gray-wolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 03:22:42 AM »
But as Stimpy said it's not a problem if you don't need to crimp, You wouldn't even need to adjust your seating die. If you are not crimping who cares how tall the brass is.

If you can't get your head arround what has been said, draw a picture of two cases and look at it.
  If you seat a bullet in a case that is a little shorter and don't change the seat die from the longer case---------------- the case will have a little less bullet in it, but the bullet will not be any deeper in the case.
  ( within reason please )  So how does this effect the pressure ?  The capacity is the same.
Yes the crimp will have to be adjusted and bullet pull will change ( less neck to grab the case )
  I just don't pick up things that are going to be more work and upset my loading procedure.
Remember what they say,  A Diamond that cost a Dime is a Diamond worth 10 cents.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:05 AM »
The 1st question is what gun are you shooting the 444 in? If it is a lever, you may need to use other brass.. If it is a single shot it is not a problem. If you want to get rid of the used short brass pm me and we will talk. If you just stay away from max loads, you should have no problem. The 444 is a slightly tapered case, not like a severely necked down cartridge like say a 223 WSSM, so the pressure jumps are not nearly as great or as critical.
remember the starfish

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
Sorry, double post
remember the starfish

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
How much shorter is it?...

Or did I miss that in the previous posts?...

BCB

Offline twohats

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
I haven't actually measured the difference,but very noticeable.I have the Win Timber Carbine in .444 so I will probably use them just for the carbine and the Rem brass for thw contender..Thanks a bunch guys.I really am learning alot by everyones answers and opinions.Have a Happy New Year!!!!!!!! :)

Danny
The ground is always level at the foot of the cross..............