Author Topic: Scoping a .375 H&H  (Read 637 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Scoping a .375 H&H
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »
I want to put a Leupold 3-9X40 on my Model 700 in .375 H&H.  I want to use Weaver style mounts because I don't trust other styles.  I am thinking Warne or Leupold steel bases and some type of low steel rings.  I can't afford Talleys.  Do you think the Burris Zee rings would stay together and not ruin my scope?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: Scoping a .375 H&H
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:11:32 PM »
This is just my opinion,take it for what it is worth. First off,I think a varible in the range of 1 to 4 power is more than enough for that caliber.  Not a fan of Weaver rings, that being said,if using Weaver type bases,go for the Zee rings. If you have some money availible, I would opt for the Leupold double dovetail. I have a single dovetail on my Whitworth and never been an issue.On my CZ I use the Burris rings,but the Model 700 does not have integal mounts ala CZ. If cost no object, the Conetrols are simply outstanding.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
 ;) Swampman, my model 700 in 375 H & H has a 3-9 Leupold in either Burris or Leupold...I have shot this rifle quite a bit, and it works fine....I went with these mounts because of the windage adg..my older Leupold has limited adj. in the scope its self...as for the 3-9, I had a lower powered scope on it on a trip to Africa..I only shot one head of game with it and the low powered scope...mostly I used my old .300 with a 4-12..the reason was the brush was sooo thick the higher power made it very simple to pick a hole in which I could shoot though..that is when I put the 3-9 on it and it has stayed..probably always will..one thing I used high power scopes all the time, so the 12 x in heavy brush was not a problem..I often carried it on 4 then zoomed up to pick the shot..If you feel comfortable with the higher power scope, for me it is the only way to go..I don't think I would go much higher, but I sure like mine on the 375..you shooting factory or hand loads...as I remember you don't handload much if at all...good shooting

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
Craig Boddington suggested the 3-9X40.  I've never had any faith in the Dual Dovetail mounts but maybe I'll take a look.  They always seem too high for a good cheek weld.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Swampy,

I use the tally one piece lightweights. They are solid and almost indestructible. And I think around $40.00 complete.

Hope this helps.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE