Author Topic: Replica Revolvers  (Read 1507 times)

Offline spitpatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« on: December 14, 2003, 01:47:17 PM »
Question for all you BP pistol people: Who makes the best Replica revolvers. Been reading about the Italian revolvers,..... Uberti, Pedersoli, etc. Bought a Ruger Old Army .44. a couple weeks ago.....pretty nice! is there any better than this one in Quality? If money was not an issue, what do you think? I do not have first hand experience with the Italian stuff but I read about them here alot...dependability is important, and accuracy as well.......What should I look at next in a Quality .44?
Quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten

Offline crossbow

• Trade Count: (0)
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 03:05:43 PM »
I believe Euroarms make a superb Rogers and Spencer with a Lothar barrell.I aint seen it just remember reading about it in a shooting mag a few years ago.I remember it was expensive.but the guy shooting it was getting 1 inch groups at 25,and I guess thats as good as its possible to get.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Do not reactivate.

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 03:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip Crossbow, will look at them. Have you had any dealings with Pietta, Uberti, or Pedersoli? I read a lot of things about them on this forum, but what I've seen of the Italian jobs, They look cheap.

Offline Flint

Replicas
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 07:53:16 PM »
None of the Italian guns will be as strong or as hard or as unbreakable as a Ruger in steel or construction, period.  However it would not be unheard of  to find an Italian revolver with better fit and finish than a Ruger, certainly with better looking wood.  The repros are lighter and better balanced, as were the originals, and the Ruger, based on the large 44 frame Blackhawk is by nature larger and heavier than an 1860 or a Remington.  Of course it's not as large and heavy as a Dragoon, but it certainly is tougher.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline El Confederado

• Avid Poster
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 08:09:11 PM »
1 thing people forget, the Ruger is not a historical correct revolver.That being said ther e one hell of a pistol, but to compare it to the Italian or even American made" correct" pistols is like comparing a .44 to a .22.
Uberti make the best of the Italian ones, San Marco is good to and for that matter so is Pietta, some folks rag on them , but , I have been listening to the same crap with the Ford, Dodge and Chevy thing , so it's all about what you want to spend and how " correct ya want to be.
Lt. J.M. Rodriguez II
Captain- K Company-- 37th Texas Cavalry C.S.A.
 Lt---2nd  Louisiana  Zouave Cavalry
( Coppens Zouaves Trans-Mississippi)
Lt.---1st Battalion of Louisiana Zouaves
WoNA historian
Un-Reconstructed Confederate

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 02:13:00 AM »
Thanks all for your thoughts. How do the Italian guns compare to the Lymans as far as durability. Had a Remington New Army (1860 I think) in mind for a purchase. The war department (wife) has approved $400-500 in funding for this and I want to get the best buy for the money, and with all the talk.......I'm a little confused as where to turn. I like the .44's but thats not carved in stone....I just want a strong revolver that will last many years and shoot straight. "correctness" doesn't matter.

Offline crossbow

Replica Revolvers
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 07:49:49 AM »
Spitpatch,the remington is the 1858 the 1860 is an open top colt and is not as strong as the solid frame Remington.Actually the Piettas and Ubertis are strong and unless you expect to subject them to unusual heavy use they should last forever.They offer exceptional value for money and very good accuracy, they however often need a little finishing and adjusting but rarely anything major.Just one thing the brass ones are not very strong regardless of the maker,but they should give long service if shot with light loads.

Offline Super Rat

Replica Revolvers
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 07:54:53 AM »
Don't overlook the Remington Navy in .36 calibre, it's a real sweetheat and much more powerful than you think. It's really .375 calibre, and the Remingtons have long/deep chambers. A full load of 777 will put it right up there power wise with a 1860 .44 Colt. On the other hand, with a light load it's a really nice plinker, and a good grouse gun too, if you do any type of big game hunting where there are also grouse running around.

But again, before I ever owned one, I used to think the .36 was a real "weak sister" to the .44's. Not true, they are actually quite powerful.

I have a Uberti, which are supposed to be very high quality, or better than the rest, but I have heard that this is not ALWAYS true. My example is very nice for sure, and shoots to point of aim. It is also extremely accurate.

I also have an Euro-Arms 1860 Colt, and it is of higher quality than most other 1860 Colt replicas I have seen or owned. Be warned though, that the open top Colt's won't take full loads of 777 like the full frame guns will. (Ruger or Remingtons) On the other hand, the Remingtons and Ruger don't point, handle and balence like the Colts do.

On Pedersoli, I've never owned or shot/seen one of their revolvers, but I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess musket that I am really, seriously impressed with.
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.

Offline crossbow

Replica Revolvers
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 07:56:21 AM »
Spitpatch,just one afterthought as you are not concerned with correctness there is a cap and ball version of the 1873 colt.The cylinder is loaded off the gun in a seperate tool,it is a solid looking gun.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 08:08:19 AM »
I own Uberti, Armi San Marco and Pietta.  The absolute best buy for a durable period correct pistol would be the 1858 models sold by Cabelas.  They are Pietta pistols and the action, finish and fit are great.  Mine is a 2" at 20 yard pistol with full loads.  I haven't tried target loads so it might do better.  I've heard others who get sub 2" groups.  My Pietta .36 Navy will take squirrels all day and last year killed a fox stone dead!  My next purchase will probably be the Remmi Navy.

Dan C

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 12:56:13 PM »
Funny you guys talking about the .36. I aquired the Dixie GW magazine today and was looking at them......Especially the Rem. Navy....Nice looking guns, and have read about the power. Definitly want a solid frame. I would use these guns like any other I own.......probably no more than 100 rds.\yr.......on odd years. To be truthful, once it's tuned to my satisaction it will probably not be shot very often. I know in the back of my safe I have guns I haven't shot in 15 years. The little woman allows me two guns a year (one hell of a wife) and I been at it for 24 years. This years purchase was the Ruger OA and I get one for Christmas. Might go with the .36

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 03:28:55 PM »
Hi, everybody. I joined a while back but I'm just getting around to my first post.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 03:37:19 PM »
Flint nailed it on his comments, but I should add that a 58 remington with the 7 1/2 barrel is hard to beat for accuracy on out to 25 yards or so.  :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 03:53:31 PM »
Well, I screwed that one up.. I hit the wrong key and sent it before I was done. Anyhow, I've been shooting blackpowder for around thirty years or so. Flint, percussion and cap and ball revolvers. Don't do in-lines and I rarely use cartridge firearms.
   Anyway, what I wanted to suggest was that you consider a second generation Colt. For the amount you've got to spend you should be able to pick one up. I bought a C series squareback Navy at a gun show yesterday for less than $400 and it's mint. I'd also check out Track's site- they've got a Whitney and a Navy Colt on there. They're good folks to deal with. Just a thought.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Flint

replicas
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 08:51:32 PM »
Filmo, what is Track's?

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 02:05:49 AM »
I believe he is talking about

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

I have not done business with them myself, but have heard good things.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2003, 07:57:41 AM »
Sorry about that.  I did mean Track of the  Wolf. They are good folks to deal with and you never know what they'll have on their web site.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Full House

Replica Revolvers
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2003, 08:48:18 AM »
I own ten '63 NMAs, four Pietta, four Uberti, and two Euro Arms respectively.  All have been very good quality...some fitting better than others ,but all and all well made.  All was purchased mail-order over the years.  I have .44s and .36s in all the makes and this is a sure fact, the Uberti Navy is the best shooter with the Euro Arms a close second in .36 calibre.  I have a R&D cylinder in a Pietta .44 with .45 LC and it is a tack driver.  I shoot Swiss 1 1/2 F in .44s along with Goex 2F, also, Triple 7 and APP (CleanShot). I shoot 3F Swiss and the aforementioned in 3F in .36s.  

To say which is the best made or the most accurate...all shoot better than I can shoot.  I am old (62 yrs) and wear bifocals...my hands shake from medication.  

I will say this first, all replicas are shot with the same powder charges,i.e. example, 30 grains of 2F Goex, (that was shot one hundred and fifty years a go) in todays vastly improved metallurgy.

I would rate my Remingtons as Uberti first, Euro second, and Pietta third.

The Euro arms NMA is the most accurate size and configuration that I have seen, having this knowledge from handling an original Remington
NMA.  Also, they are finished well, with oil grips, a better mainspring than
Uberti or Pietta. They are in the same price range as Uberti. I hopes this helps someone.

Queens and Fours
Full House

Offline spitpatch

• Contributor
Replica Revolvers
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 02:33:37 PM »
Helps a lot, Thanks.
  I am not going to get in a big hurry and try to find the Navy .36 and have a look. I am told they are a .44 with a smaller frame. This I think would be good also. I do like variety. With a Ruger OA and a Ruger super blackhawk, don't think I need another .44 even though I'm kinda fond of  the caliber. Where would be the best place to buy an Uberti  Rem. Navy .36?, and do they come in different grades (quality wise)?
      Thanks to all who responded, youv'e been very helpful and I've enjoyed listening to your veiwpoints. Your all way ahead of me in this area.

Offline Flint

replicas
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2003, 04:47:38 PM »
Taylor's sels Ubertis, as does Cimarron, and they both are more picky in what they'll accept than some others.  I bought 2 Uberti Navy Rems from Frontier Classics in Conn.  (Frontierclassics.com) He is an honest dealer. and there are others.  Search Uberti Remington with your internet search and they will be listed.

Offline tomjw3

Replica Revolvers
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 08:48:25 PM »
First post, I heard that Aldo Uburti purchased the tooling form colt for there revolvers back in the 1950's. when colt produces a revolver it has to purchas the large parts from Uburti, ships them to the states and finishes them here. Thay also charge twice the price. One thing in colts favor, thay do a better job finishing then Uburti.