Author Topic: swapping barrels for H&R in 243.  (Read 608 times)

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
swapping barrels for H&R in 243.
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »
I have a H&R .243 super light that isn't very accurate. I was thunking of sending it in for a new barrel but I can get a new H&R .243 in wood stock for 210 after tax. I was wondering what the chances are that the heavier barrel on the new gun would fit on the super light frame. I'm asking cause I have a trigger job on the super light and has a 11 3/4" lop. If it doesn't fit how much work does it usually take to make it fit? Thanks in advance.

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
Re: swapping barrels for H&R in 243.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:58 PM »
It will fit just fine. The frames are the same and the difference in the superlight is the lighter weight because of the barrel profile and shorter barrel. The problem you will have is waiting until they have barrels in stock and/or getting a straight answer regarding what they have in stock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
I have a H&R .243 super light that isn't very accurate. I was thunking of sending it in for a new barrel but I can get a new H&R .243 in wood stock for 210 after tax. I was wondering what the chances are that the heavier barrel on the new gun would fit on the super light frame?

See the How often do used barrels fit without modification? sticky and the barrel fitting info in the FAQs.

I'd stick with what you have, if it's a factory fitted barrel and it won't shoot 2" or less 100yd 3-shot groups with factory ammo, send it to H&R and have them fix it, my Superlights will do that easy enough with the right load.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »
And if worse comes to worse you could probably drop that hammer/trigger in the other frame (IF you dont like the trigger on it).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
About dropping the hammer and trigger, I thought about that. never did it but I could try. Quick, if I send it in to them because I can't get better than 3" @ 50 yds will they fix it under warranty? It's less than two years old. If they charge me any idea what it will cost. It is my cheapest route so far. My son loves that gun, he can shoot it and hold it steady easily. He feels bad that it doesn't shoot good enough for deer past 50 yds. He hunted with it this year. He got a real nice doe in 2009 youth hunt so he has confidence in it and is attached to it. (as we all can understand) I thought of bringing it in for a heavier .243 barrel like the one I'm thinking of getting.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
Yes, they will, give em a call toll free at (866)776-9292 and make arrangements to have it fixed, ask for a return shipping label to cover costs.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/support/repairs.asp

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain