Author Topic: mod 7 350 rme mag  (Read 1846 times)

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
mod 7 350 rme mag
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:56:27 PM »
 I just purchased one of the model 7 350 rem mag purchased it after prior owner mashed his nose with his thumb 2 times, Brought it to the gun shop and traded it for a 7mm 08.  Poor fella only put 4 rounds though this gun. Was scared to death to shoot it after his first two rounds. Anyway I closed the deal on the used 350 if you can call it used. Anyone one have one of these rifles? If so how do they shoot? I have research the 35 cal rifles quite a bit but this is my first purchase of one. Hoping to use it for elk, moose and bear. I've looked at the model seven on remington's web page its calling a 1 in 10 twist now so should stabalize the bigger bullets better than the old 1 in 16 twist.

woods.

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
Re: mod 7 350 rme mag
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
I have a CDL and love it. Shoots great after I floated and bedded it. Shoots 250 Speers just fine, although it's too long a bullet for the magazine length. You have to seat the bullet deep,so you lose case capacity. 225's are just fine. I can't imagine any N. American hoofed game getting away from a good 225. Check out Whelen Brown's site @ 35 Cal.com.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
You made a great choice in the 350 rem mag.  The 35 calibers are easy to load for and kill game exceptionally well.  I have 4 .358 caliber rifles, 2 of which are 350 rem mag's.  I did some load developement today in the newest one.  It is a model 700 classic with the barrel cut down to 20".  I got excellent accuracy with the 225 sierra and RL15, my best groups were shooting right at 2650 fps.  I also had good accuracy with the speer 220 gr and IMR 4895.  They were traveling just shy of 2600 fps.  I have killed several deer and elk with the sierra and speer and they both kill really well.  Another good thing about .358 calibers is the minimal meat loss, you can usually eat right to the bullet hole.  Good luck and have fun with your new shooter.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline thetrio

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:27:29 AM »
I have a Remington Custom Shop KS and it is very light. I would say the recoil is not severe but I have a good pad and a muzzle brake. But I image without the brake, the recoil would not to be taken lightly with this rifle.

I love the 35 cal rilfles for hunting big game. I have a 35 whelen too.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
I just purchased one of the model 7 350 rem mag purchased it after prior owner mashed his nose with his thumb 2 times, Brought it to the gun shop and traded it for a 7mm 08.  Poor fella only put 4 rounds though this gun. Was scared to death to shoot it after his first two rounds. Anyway I closed the deal on the used 350 if you can call it used. Anyone one have one of these rifles? If so how do they shoot? I have research the 35 cal rifles quite a bit but this is my first purchase of one. Hoping to use it for elk, moose and bear. I've looked at the model seven on remington's web page its calling a 1 in 10 twist now so should stabalize the bigger bullets better than the old 1 in 16 twist.

woods.

Have you shot your short THUMPER yet?

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »
    Have you shot your short THUMPER yet? Posted by big swede

I have shot about 45 rounds so far. Yes it rocks you a little but I've had much worse. I finished my rifle out with a nice leupold VXIII 1.75 X 6 , nice piece of glass. I'm from pa so we got alot of hills, brush and trees to hunt some quick shots some wait till you get a clear shot type hunting. I put alot of time decideing on this caliber and rifle for a future elk, moose and bear rifle. Maybe I'll never get to go but I will have a well worn and shot rifle that I'm familiar with not a new unfamiliar one. I've been playing with siera's 225 bullet first seems to shoot a nice group of 5 shots right at 1" looking at trying 250's next. I did load some 158 pistol bullets with trail boss powder shoots about 2" low at 50 yrds,  it's a pussey cat on the shoulder. Got alot of reloading and shooting to go but the weather has not been nice at all,  looking forward to the playing with loads
     Just wanted to thank everybody for their help on this website, it's one of the best I've found.

woods

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
I'm glad to hear you like your rifle.  You made a great choice with the scope selection.  My 673 wears a 1.5-5 leupy and my classic has a M8 4x compact.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
I believe you'll find the barrel is 1 in 16" not 1 in 10" twist. It is basically the equal of the .35 Whelen which is a mighty fine round for the game you mention. In that little Model Seven that's a bunch of recoil. You might want to get one of the newer Remington pads for it unless it already has one they really do take the sting out of the recoil like nothing I've used.

The Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 has more eye relief than the VX-III 1.75-6 tho both are excellent scopes. Not that I do heavy kickers anymore but the 2-7x33 has always been my choice for them due to the eye relief and FOV both.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
I have two .350s.  One is a Remington Model 600, shoots great, but kicks the snot out of you.  The other is a Ruger M-77, recoil in it is pretty awsome as well.  But these guns are devastating on Black Bears over Bait.  Range 15 to 30 yards, and the Bears usually don't get up after being shot.  They just roll over, squall, and die.  I would not hesitate to shoot a Grizzly or Moose with either one.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:20:48 PM »
whats the 350 rem mags derivitive cartridge?im a model 7 fan but aint im new to the big bore in them?

Offline hillbill

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:38:36 PM »
meant to say im new to the big bore in the mod 7

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
The .350 is a short belted Magnum.  It was it's own case back in the 50s when Remington came out with it.  It was the Original Short Magnum. 

When Remington stopped making ammo I ordered brass from a supplyer.  The Brass had been made from 7MM Mag brass, shortened and neck increased. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline whelen36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
just visited remington's website and there's 2 model seven .350 rem. mag. rifles listed, one's got a 22" barrel and one has a 20" barrel.
 the 22" barreled rifle has a 1 in 16" twist listed and an overal length on 39 1/4" and is listed as discontinued
the 20" barreled rifle has a 1 in 10" twist listed and an overal length of 41 1/4" and is listed as current.

now, why would the rifle with the 22" barrel have an overal length 2" shorter than the rifle with the the 20" barrel, and why do they have two different rate of twists ???
so it seems they have thier info confused just a bit there , so just which is the correct rate of twist (which i'm hoping is the 1 in 16" twist) in this rifle they're offering and just which one is discontinued???
that 11-pointer was too perty to let you have it - ( dale earnhardt )

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
My 2007 model 7 CDL 350 mag., has a 1-16" twist, My 2008 Model 700 CDL 35 Whelen also has a 1-16" twist. Both shoot 250 gr. bullets just fine. I've seen that 1-10" on the Rem. site. I think that it may be a typo. You could always call them.