Author Topic: stainless steel camo question?  (Read 712 times)

Offline gregdemars

• Trade Count: (0)
stainless steel camo question?
« on: December 14, 2003, 02:56:49 PM »
I've got a nice stnls ruger SBH w/ silver scope...What do you use to camo your handgun for hunting season? What are the options?

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 03:36:53 PM »
This is what I did http://www.reedercustomguns.com/special_guns/images/green_machine1.jpg eek:  may be a bit extreme for you though
Love those .41s'

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 05:37:21 PM »
Nothing. I only buy guns with a satin or dull finish and use only matte finish scopes. My hunting guns are tools. Tools I use to hunt. They are not toys and they are not objects de art to be looked at and wowed over. I've never yet had game spooked by glare from such a gun. If one comes with a shiny finish a can of Rustoleum paint in a flat color takes care of that problem.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 02:03:38 AM »
I use bow tape on the scope and the barrel and do the frame and cylinder with red, black, & green magic marker. Don't do the grips as your hand will be covering them. After the season laquer thinner will wipe off the marker and any remaining tape residue. Camo to clean in 5 min or less.
Dave375HH

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 04:21:00 AM »
I don't worry about it.  I've killed tons of deer with stainless barrelled rifles.  My pistols are all stainless also.  Scopes and all.   Just don't wave them around and you will be fine.  But if you are out there waving your guns around, I think the finish of the gun is the least of your worries.  I think the actual tests have shown that a polished blued gun actually gives off more glare.  Don't know if its true or not and really don't care.  But, I wouldn't worry too much about the finish on your gun.  I do believe that guns are tools but I disagree with the other part.  With all the choices out there, there is absolutely no reason in shooting an ugly gun.   :grin:

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 04:59:17 PM »
when I first for my high polished S.S. barrel from bullbarry I put camo tape all over it. It didn't last long so I just took it off and took the gun in the woods. I have yet to have a deer spook because of the glare.

You can always do as several people on this website do. Use a soft sided case as a holster. this does work well but not for me.

Offline Bug

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Hmmmmm,
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 03:52:52 PM »
I guess I gotta re-organize my priorities!  :oops: I'm more worried about gettin close enough so game can SEE the gun! :)  Don't worry about it, just hunt harder!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bug.
It's The Little Things That Matter.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 04:53:51 PM »
I hunt with nice bright polished blue guns with nice walnut stocks and nice gloss scopes.  Do they glare, maybe.  Look in the woods, there are other things giving off a glare other than just my gun.  Deer key off movement, glare or not.  I had two deer within 15 feet of me this year (on the ground, not in a treestand) and neither acted like they knew I was there.  My daughter was with me once and she said she could not believe the deer did not see her since she was not wearing camo.  It was because she did not move, not because of any camo.  Just my opinion of course.