Author Topic: Identifing Media  (Read 437 times)

Offline Bravo 51...Over

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
Identifing Media
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »
A few months ago, one of guys I work with wanted to sell his reloading stuff.  He gave me a list of what he had and one of the items was "polishing sand".  I asked him what brand it was but he couldn't remember.  When I got home with what I got from him I looked at the media in the polisher and it did look like sand.  It is much finer grain than the other media I've bought in the past.  It could be very fine grain walnut but I'm just not sure.  Anyone know what brand name this is?
Written on a cardboard C-ration case, Khe Sanh 1968..." For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected never know." Author unknown

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Identifing Media
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
I know Lyman made a few different sizes of media , as well as some of the others , it may be their Ultra Fine , not bad stuff , but it wears out real quick if used in long runs ( 3 or 4 hours at a time ) .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Bravo 51...Over

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »
Thanks Stimpy,

Some time back I was looking on some web site and they were advertising some media in # 12 Sieve (spelling ???).  I had no idea what that was or what grades media was gauged in.   This stuff does a great job in polishing the brass but now that I used it quite a bit over the past few months, I having to add some liquid brass polish to it to get the brass clean.  I'd like to get more of this, just need to know what to look for.  Anyone else have any ideas?
Written on a cardboard C-ration case, Khe Sanh 1968..." For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected never know." Author unknown

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »
You should be able to tell if you have sand because it would be a lot heavier feeling than organic medias like walnut hulls or corncob. Most places that have a good selection of reloading supplies will have some kind of media in fairly large containers.

Offline Bravo 51...Over

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
Bilmac,

Thanks for the reply.  It's not actually sand.  He used that term because he just didn't know what else to call it.   I used the term  to reference the size of the grains.  I do believe that it is walnut hulls from the color but I've not seen this fine of media and that was the purpose for asking folks if anyone knew who makes it.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
Here is walnut shell as blasting media, the same as is sold in pet stores as litter for lizards ,common stuff in box store pet shops.

This stuff has been in my tumbler for several months now so it's darkend, I use some Lyman Turbo brite too

found elsewhere

Offline Bravo 51...Over

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »
Thanks Necchi,

The dime puts the scale of that media at the right size.  The guy I got this from seemed to indicate that it was bought at the same time as his polisher and other reloading items.  I would then have to assume that it was one of the major brands of media.   I'll look into the pet store offered items. 

Thanks for all the replies.

Bravo 51...Out

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
sand is used to polish rocks not brass.
blue lives matter

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 01:25:43 AM »
The nice thing about this fine of stuff would be that it would be easy to empty out of small caliber cases. I wonder if they are selling stuff designed for the 17s and 20s on the market now?

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
My goodness guy's,  We can't identify SAND ????????????????

Just maybe, on guess.  Could it be Aluminum Ox side blasting Media ??
It can be had very fine to go through small sand blasting units, it is costly but used by some to polish Brass.
  It starts out White but soon gets dirty and could be confused with sand if you are not familiar with it.