Author Topic: Schmdt & Bender riflescopes  (Read 1263 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Schmdt & Bender riflescopes
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Anyone ever use a schmdt & bender 6x42 or their 8x56.  :o

Expensive but the reviews sure rate them high....
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Schmdt & Bender riflescopes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:01:56 AM »
Pastorp,

Yes I ahve a 6x42 with 1" tube and have owned it for soem years now. Excellent scope and a lot cheaper back then. they ahve nearly doubled in price since I got mine. Changing over tot eh Euro currency caused a huge price hyke on everything as we said it would but denied by the politicos  ::).

Now I believe mine had the Reticle #7 which has three heavy square tipped bars at 3,6,9 o'clock with a fine cross hair and bar at 12 o'clock. here is the scope in use:-

The scope is currently fitted to a 25-06 P-H 1200C. I have used an 8x56 S&B on someone elses rifle and the optics are superb but I find it a bit bulky and prefer 7x or less for free hand shots.

May I suggest that you take a look at the Meopta line up of fixed scopes they are simply superb optics. I have a 7x50 with 1" tube and intend to purchase a 6x42 Meopta in the spring. Oh I do have an 8x56 but it's a no name Asian make possibly Chinese and although it works is poor optically compared with the likes of Meopta, Schmidt & Bender. I picked it up cheap off the auction site to try and it's currently sitting on top of my sporterised Swedish Mauser. It will stay there until i can replace it with a betetr scope.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:39:18 AM »
Britt,

Have you ever used the IOR Valdada riflescopes. How would you rate the different 6x42 riflescopes you have used?

I'm still in Anchorage waiting for medical. They have been running tests on me for the last 2 weeks, seams I have some problems with clogged pipes in my heart so will probably have bypass surgery later this week. They say they will do the cartoid artery while I'm still under following the bypass.

Anyway I have not been able to finish sighting in my 257roberts or shooting it for group. I expect it will be several month before I can shoot a rifle with any recoil after the surgery. Hope the surgery will allow me to get around in the woods a lot better. I have been pretty restricted the last few years.

Was your dad able to join your family for the holidays? Hope he was.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
Pastorp,

Yes we were able to bring Dad home for Christmas day which was good for all concerned. Tomorrow or Thursday the medical staff have a meeting about his progress and his needs to help him at home so hopefully we have more information by the weekend.
Have you ever used the IOR Valdada riflescopes. How would you rate the different 6x42 riflescopes you have used?

Sorry but I have never seen the IOR in real life only adverts. Those who shoot Long Range targets seem to like them but I hear they are heavy and they look simply agricultural. They certainly would not suit the flowing lines of a classic sporting rifle and would be more at home on a drastic plastic tacticool gun. Not for me  ;)

Now as for 6x42 scopes well my fisrt was a 6x40 Apollo 5 Star (Japanese made), not a brand that made it to the US methinks, it has the AO feature and typical fine duplex of these budget scopes although I recall it was not that budget in price new but we got it used so cheaper. The optics are clear and the adjustments worked. I say worked as it might now be playing up and needs checking out carefully before use on a rifle again. It was great for targets but not so hot for stalking, vermin and rabbits were fine. Next up was the no name 6x42 that I brought new in 98 I think it was. This is the scope I had on the Brno ZKK 601 until I acquired the Zeiss Jena ZF4/N dedicated scope for the Brno. The Deutche as the vendor called it even though it has no markings except 6x42 on it had excellent optics/lenses which are rumoured to be Zeiss Jena. It seems when they closed the Jena plant and it was sold to Doctor Optics the work in progress was sold off and someone brought these bits and had them shipped to the far east where they used them to make scopes hence the excellent glass. Sadly the alloy they used on the fast focus pin was not so good and it broke last year. I am hoping to get it repaired by a scope guy and re-gassed so it can serve another dozen or more years. That one has a slighlty heavier duplex and is more like the modern American scopes for reticle. It's not quite a good as the S&B or Zeiss but you only lose a few minutes of light compared to them.

The Lisenfeld, a maker now gone as the owner is dead, and the S&B are close in light transmission and both have the typical European reticles. I have also used a Khales 6x42 which again was excellent. I have been looking for another good 6x scope for a rifle but it will have to wait until spring now at the earliest. I watch certain dealers and of course the online auction site and although the prices sometimes tempt me I have held off buying such as Redfield, Burris and Simmons as I already have enough mediocre scopes and now need to upgrade. This was brought home to me on a stalk for Roe Deer in Sussex some years back, hmmm more years now that I really care to recall  :-[, but the weather turned with a horrible storm blowing in off the sea and it turned really dark and rained buckets. We stalked into a nice Roe Doe but through my budget scope I could not even make out which way she was standing let alone the vital area. I turned up the shot even though Tony the stalker/guide could clearly see her head through his Zeiss Night Owls so I vowed then to upgrade my rifle scopes so that it would not happen again.