Author Topic: 45-70 reduced loads  (Read 3806 times)

Offline shooter6br

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Keep up the good fight"God bless America
Re: 45-70 reduced loads
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Unique or Universal Clays  that is   (10 grains)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 05:08:50 AM »
Glad you clarified that!
As a long time Unique user and reduced velo cast bullet shooter I have had to deal with the issue of using or not using fillers with a variety of powders and the velocity effects, verified on my Chrony, of various powder positions within a voluminous case. I concur with C. Dell and W. Schwartz (The Modern Schuetzen Rifle) that the most consistent ignition and velocity will be achieved with the powder back at the ignition base, though it does not have to be held there by a wad or filler. In fact, improper use of wads has 'rung' many a chamber; I will not use them anymore. Chambering a round, elevating the muzzle (finger OFF the trigger, please) and lowering the gun into firing position will achieve this powder position. Admittedly, it is not inconvenient  when shooting offhand, moreso off the bench.
The 45-70 Trail Boss 70% of capacity starting load is so mild that kids, and those 'timid' of guns should not object. Full case loads of it are lighter than a 405/65gr charge of black powder in my 'trapdoor'. Absolutely no powder position issues, dbl. charge or airspace issues, clean burning...whats not to like?
I can understand having a bunch of fast powder, thus 'cheap' per powder charge and many per can, but it really isnt the best choice, maybe not even a very good one, with the options we have today. 'Frugal' as I am, I happily bought the 5# jug of TB after feeling it out in my calibers. The old Unique and RedDot jugs are going to get considerably less use.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
The GMDR web site has alot of nice reduced load for the 45-70. They have fired a few thousand rounds of these. From personal experience they do work great. You do need to be cautious about double charging. Double charging can wreck your day.

A 300 grain + bullet traveling at 1000fps is still very good on deer within its range limitations.

My daughter shoots my 45-70 so have at it.

I was thinking of trying their Bullseye load for .45-70, do you have any experience with this powder? Is it position sensitive?
GH1
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
I like Unique and IMR-4198.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
GH1, see my above comments, they apply to Bullseye just the same as RedDot, 700X or any other 'fast powder that takes up a minimum of the available case interior volume.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
I was thinking of trying their Bullseye load for .45-70, do you have any experience with this powder?
Is it position sensitive?GH1

YES!!!

Please READ loading manuals, you can EASILY BLOW YOURSELF UP!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, be-careful!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
If it's postion sensitive I won't use it. Sounds like too much of a hassle. I was just looking to use the Bullseye because I really don't use it for anything else. Maybe I'll load up a bunch of .38's.
For the .45-70 I'll stick with Trail Boss, or maybe I'll break down and buy some 5744.
Thanks for the input guys.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
If it's position sensitive I won't use it. Sounds like too much of a hassle. I was just looking to use the Bullseye because I really don't use it for anything else. Maybe I'll load up a bunch of .38's.
For the .45-70 I'll stick with Trail Boss, or maybe I'll break down and buy some 5744.
Thanks for the input guys.
GH1 :)

NOW YOUR TALKING GOOD SENSE!!!!!!!

Bullseye is GREAT for the 38 and 45 ACP!!  Trail Boss and XMP 5744 are equally as GREAT FOR THE 45/70!!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Buckwheat Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • 45-70; 45 Long Colt; 12ga; .410
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
I load a 450 LRNFP over 24 grains of IMR4198. That is almost a reduced load for some folks. I also use the same bullet over 9 to 10 grains of Unique. Both loads work good for my Handi.
aim small, hit big