Author Topic: .480 Barrel shortening...what do you think???  (Read 1269 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
.480 Barrel shortening...what do you think???
« on: December 26, 2010, 05:37:37 AM »
Merry Christmas All!

I have a 7.5" RSRH in .480 that I'd like to use hunting bears/hogs, etc.  Not at all interested in a long range shooter, so 100+yard shots are not in the program.  I bought it because it's a bit different than anything that I currently own.  I was thinking of having Mag-Na-Port do their .480 Advantage conversion to it ...  might make it handier than a 7.5".  I've had MNP do quite a few guns for me in the past and am quite happy with their work.  I have several 44 and 41 cal revolvers with 6" barrels and have never felt they were too short.  I also handload so I'm sure I can develop some good hog/bear loads with heavy bullets.

I was just wondering what you'all think the pros or cons would be to cutting 2" of the barrel back.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: .480 Barrel shortening...what do you think???
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
I had one with a 9.5 inch barrel, and wished for the 7.5...... I think that anything less would be exciting, with the muzzleblast...6" wouldn't be too short.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
They port the barrel so the blast will be interesting for sure. 

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
5 inches is my favorite length

i  would not have ports  on ANY gun  that may need to be  deployed in a hurry

my HEARING  is  more important then  a sore hand or follow up shots
not to mention trash or something  in the port  if i didn't get the safety glasses on  first

i am sure you know what you like....
but  i  HATE  ports......
.i guess they  might  help on the range in  competition or something
but  not on something you might have to shoot  with a split seconds  notice
i  don't usually ware  ear plugs or glasses......except at the range
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:09:04 PM »
the 480 and for that fact any of the big bores are very effiecient even in a 4 inch barrel
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »
Hey Guys!

Boring night in Boston waiting for our 20"...have about 6-8 at this point and I'm about 20 miles north.

Anyway, 4570..good point about ports...I can takem or leave'm.  I've had 2 MagNaPort built single action conversions, a stalker and a predator.  Both had ports and unless you are under an overhang of some kind...I never had any real issue with them.  I also had a Jack Weigand Executive built which was a SWM60 with 3 hybraports (3 holes) on the top of the barrel.  Couldn't decide if they did any good at all really for recoil...they did completely soot over the tritium front site though on the 1st shot....sold that one....and the MagNaPort customs as well...wish I kept them.  I had a 300win ported (and then rebarreled after the porting and didn't have them redone on the new barrel) and on my current 375HH and I really do thing they help with getting back on target quickly for whatever reason. 

BUT...the conversion comes with 4 ports on the top side of the barrel...I'll probably ask if I can get only 2 or 4 in the rifle config. 

LLoyd...I agree...that's why I'm considering shortening...the loss in performance is minimal compared to the portability of an already big and awkward gun.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Doug, I'll have to vote with Lloyd and recommend 4'. Love those packable handguns(as Linebaugh calls them}. Couldn't be for Wild Hill hogs could this? If I remember correctly, you used your S&W model 29 when we hunted up there way back then?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
I am very glad you are back Mr. S.B.!!   And it would be for Wild Hill hogs eventually...but...I have a date with a trophy hog who has challanged my Ruger BH 41mag Bisley conversion (under construction as we speak by Mike Larocca Gunworks of Worcester MA)!  I did use my 6" 29 last time and feel the need to go lighter before I test the 480 on some hogzilla....

Not to worry....I almost have Mikey convinced to back me up with his 444!  Going 1st weekend in April...who's come'n???

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:45 AM »
Doug:  I would agree with Lloyd and suggest you consider anything from a 4+5/8 to a 5.5 or 6" bbl length.  And since you will be reloading you can tailor your loads without needing porting. 

Do not worry my friend, I will have your back.  I also plan on going out the night before and leaving a bucket of mash and Stout mixed to drunk this guy up so he can't figure out that we're tryin' to kill him; he will probably think I'm bringin' out more Stout...  that's when ya gits him, when he's lookin' to deal with that hangover and just in case it has made him mean I will have the fo fo fo........................

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »
I have the ruger redhawks in the 5 1/2" barrel and the 7 1/2" barrel in 44mag.  With stouter handloads the 7 1/2" barrel is a pleasure to shoot and more controllable.  I really don't like the 5 1/2" barreled 44mag.  The 480 ruger with more power maybe even worse with the shorter barrel.  Think twice cut once or not at all thats the question????  CZY about revolvers to.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Doug and Mikey, All my best to each of you guys on this hunt. Have a safe, successful hunt.
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
I like 4 & 5 inch barrels. It may just be the cosmetic appearance.
I have never shot any of those big boomers though, however; it would seem to me that a longer barrel is an advantage in many situations.
I don't care for porting--in a general sense.

Mikey
I thought baiting was not allowed in your neck of the woods. I guess you could claim you were bartending.
In Texas you can feed and ring the dinner bell.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
William:  we do not officially have hogs or mountain lions in nys, although our state conservation department has declared war on them, the hogs that is, by saying they can be taken with any firearm, at any time of the day or night, and that all you need is a small game license.  No limit.  And as well, since we do not officially have mountain lions in ny, we ain't baitin' neither one although we can bait coyotes, so we're good (fer something I s'pose).

Offline TGFOGAL

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
I like the 5" 500, no port, shoots great. Got a buck in Nov. with it.
Used 440gr at 1020FPS. about 50yards.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
May just leave it alone for now.....2 animals at the Taxidermist....a BH at the gunsmith getting turned into a bisley...a boar hunt in the planning.....so many projects...so little denero

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
  I have a 7.5" Redhawk in 44 mag. I would like it a little shorter too, though I don't think it would be worth the $$ spent. I have a 4.2" Redhawk in 45 Colt that I enjoy carrying much more, when the bigbore is called for.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »
Did you search the web for anyone else that has done it. I'm pretty sure I read an article where someone cut one of those down to 5 inchs. If you get it done show us a pic.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 02:42:04 AM »
May I suggest---$$$$$$$$---getting another in the length you think will fill the NEED.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
I like the 5" 500, no port, shoots great. Got a buck in Nov. with it.
Used 440gr at 1020FPS. about 50yards.
My mold is a Mountain mold 500 grainer. I'm pushing them about the same as you but, haven't killed anything, yet.
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline ronben

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »
I have one shortened to 4.5" It sure is nicer to pack around and much quicker to get on target. I put a 2x leupold on it for a while, but god tired of cleaning the soot of the lens.  I ended up getting another 7.5" for the scope, and an Alaskan too.  Now that is a handfull.  My full power loads have the following velocities:  7.5" 1275,  4.5" 1200, 2.5"  1125. All with a 408 gr cast loaded to full cylinder length.  Recoil definitely increases as the barrel gets shorter, especially without a scope.

Offline temmi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:06 AM »
Well OK!

Sounds like you have just what you wanted... can't ask for more.

Offline TGFOGAL

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
Steve
  You will enjoy taking game with that 500gr. The 1000fps range is more comfortable to shoot than
the 400grers at 1750fps I was using last year. I didn't shoot anything with that load.

Tom