Author Topic: Best 7mm-08 factory ammo for deer  (Read 6966 times)

Offline GEWDOIT

• Trade Count: (0)
Best 7mm-08 factory ammo for deer
« on: December 26, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
Looking for advice on best factory ammo in 7mm-08 for deer. Hunting woods and fields, most shots 50-150 yds, every blue moon have a 200+ shot in the fields.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Best 7mm-08 factory ammo for deer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »
I'm one who doesn't necessarily believe there is a BEST anything especially ammo given that different rifles like different loads. BUT...my favorite is the Hornady Light Magnum with the 139 BTSP bullet. It has shot accurately in every 7-08 rifle and Encore handgun I've tried it in and smacks deer with authority.

It is now discontinued but their new Super Performance ammo is really just a new name for the Light Mag ammo line. I don't think they load it with their 139 BTSP bullet anymore but do still load the SST which would be my second choice for the ammo. I figure I likely have a life time supply so long as I use it only for hunting and not plinking or target shooting but if/when it's gone I'll go with the replacement and SST bullets.

I've also use Remington factory loads with 140 grain Core Loct bullets and that is accurate and hard hitting ammo for deer as well.

Nosler makes ammo using their BT, PT and AB bullets and their ammo is superb stuff that usually gives higher velocities than other standard factory ammo  but that stuff is expensive but excellent. If money were no object for me I'd likely use their AB or PT loads for everything in my 7-08 rifles.

So as you can see I don't buy into the concept of a best but those are the choices I find best for me and they have accounted for a bunch of deer with my rifles.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
I think the Fusion line of ammo was " made for deer ".  Best can mean different things to different people. Might want to prioritize cost, availability, close range vs. long range. Do you feel complete pass through is better or worse?  I have pretty well settled on Nosler Partitions for my hunting guns, sadly can't find any in 45/70. It compromises where I feel compromises are best made.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
I like a pass through shot, two holes to let blood and air out.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »
I have used the 7mm-08 for many years, although I handload everything. My bullets of choice have been Nosler Ballistic Tips at first, and Accubonds for the last 5 years. If I had to buy ammo, I would look at factory loadings using these bullets. I believe Federal have some offerings, as well as the pricey Nosler stuff that Graybeard mentioned.

If I wanted to keep the cost more moderate, try the Fusions. My brother bought a .308 right before deer season one year (too close to the opener for me to load for him). He shot several deer within the parameters you mentioned and the Fusions were outstanding.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Will

Offline GEWDOIT

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
From what I'm hearing and my price range the swank stuff is out. The Fusion, Superformance and Core-lokts are my three choices and I see them from 24-31 bucks advertised. Thanks for your input.