Author Topic: Smart Reloader  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Bayou Stalker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Smart Reloader
« on: December 26, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »
So...  What do you think for a guy that plans to reload 200 rounds or less a year?  I just want to get an accurate load for my .308 and .444 and supply my cartridges for the season.  And maybe load some trailboss in .444 for plinking (or should I say thumping?)

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047VBSRKIT
Kendall

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Smart Reloader
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
I looked over some of their stuff at the last gun show , not bad for the $$s , I would rank it with Lee or even the lower end RCBS gear , for what your wanting it should do fine .

One thing , spend a few $$s more on a good powder scale , something like the RCBS RC130 or the 505 .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
Neat little kit for 100. You'll easily toss another 100 on dies, primers, bullets an powder.
 For that amount of money it's worth seeing if your into it or not.
Go to the library and check out a book or two dealing with reloading, an study some. I'd say start with the 308 and go from there.
 You can always upgrade piece by piece if you want to expand the hobby.
found elsewhere

Offline gunner69

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
For the bucks that is a great deal.   I started with the "three hole" Lee turret press, but then I loaded a hell of a lot more ammo too.  I now own three Dillons..... but still use the Lee Turret on occasion.  I just hate screwing and adjusting the dies, when all I have to do is change out the turret.   Do your reloading in "stages" and it won't be a drag and you won't have to worry about all the adjustments involved.   Tip - when you clean your cases drop a cut up sheet of "Bounce" to your tumbler for great brass.   When the bounce pieces get "dirty" just replace them.    ;D

Offline gray-wolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:30:06 AM »
Please do a little research on there product--Some is ok and some is junk.
The key word in your post is accurate.  :) :)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:40:52 AM »
If you are like many you might get hooked and enjoy reloading more than you think. I would look at an RCBS kit for 2 reasons . One if you like reloading you will have good equipment if you don't you will have something others will want to buy .
The kit shown has no scales , I feel a dipper is not as accurate . If you want hunting loads i suspect you want accurate ( most do) . If I were you I would not worry about a tumbler and get scales . I havd cleaned cases for several years when I started loading. The stuff looks like Lyman alot.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
buy the best that you can i think that i would save up look at good used press buy a lyman  reloading book and a good scale im using most of the things thad my dad bought in the late 1950 you will get hooked ;D
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline JW307

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
You should also take a look at the Lee starter kits.  They are also in that price range, but instead of a tumbler you get a much better press and a good powder measure and scale.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
I'm not the kinda guy that usually critisizes tools and equipment. I thought Smart Reloader equipment has a place in reloading, but so far I am wrong. I wanted a small press for misc. operations such as a Lee "C" press, so I got the Smart Reloader little "C" press and I must say it's junk. .050" slop in the ram to frame fit. Die/ram alignment off. Rough as a dirt road (gritty feel when operating handle). I do like the short throw, but it doesn't have much leverage. Good solid iron frame, but drilled and tapped way too sloppy. Nice black crinkle finish. I did size some .44s with my Lee .430" sizing die w/o any problems, bur had difficulty depriming/sizing .38 Special brass. Tried using a ram prime but the ram was off enough to allow the primer to hit the side of the pocker/case head. But, I'm sure I can find some reloading uses for it...

If you only want to reload a few now and then I'd suggest a Lee Loader. You can get some good, accurate ammo with one.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
Flea Bay use to have good deals on used reloading stuff. Then one day they got stupid and and prices skyrocketed and they went to PayPal for payment. >:(

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Flea Bay use to have good deals on used reloading stuff. Then one day they got stupid and and prices skyrocketed and they went to PayPal for payment. >:(
Paypal is an option for the seller NOT a requirement. And what got stupid was greedy people. Ebay is an option to buy or sell for anybody, NOT a store that sets the price.
 I got about half my stuff (mostly RCBS) off ebay for an easy 40% less than new and every item I got had a "money back if not satisfied" from the seller, Ya just gotta be smart when YOUR the person buying.
"Stupid is as Stupid does" eh?
found elsewhere

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
The kit shown has no scales , I feel a dipper is not as accurate .

The kit does include a small digital scale.  My friend purchased the same scale and powder trickler, scale seems accurate enough, trickler leaked W296 powder around the shaft.  He is in the process of getting another trickler.  We will see..........

Hope this helps.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »
Stay away from this srl stuff. It is chinese produced american ripoff. While the lee is not as highly regarded by some it is an excellent place to start. The price is as reasonable and the products keep americans working. The breechlock challenger kit will load as accurate as you can shoot.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 02:14:55 AM »
I would stay away from it; I have read some pretty discouraging post on them, you can still find a reasonably priced used press on the Gun forms, and if you are real lucky you may find one that the nuts on e-bay have not run the price above new.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »
The kit shown has no scales , I feel a dipper is not as accurate .

The kit does include a small digital scale.  My friend purchased the same scale and powder trickler, scale seems accurate enough, trickler leaked W296 powder around the shaft.  He is in the process of getting another trickler.  We will see..........

Hope this helps.

Sorry the one pictured had dippers , leaks 296  :o  now that shows quality . I would suggest you check accuracy with any scale .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
If you are going to shoot 200+ rounds a year, spend a little more money and go with the better quality equipment.  You will use it for many years to come.  I just got one of my buddies into reloading and he is amazed at the difference in the accuracy that he has achieved :D  If you load cast bullets for practice it's almost like shooting for free ;D  Well almost free ;) 

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Kmrere42

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
Hi,

I have the press that is pictured and I find that it will not even size 38 special cases.  The total throw of the arm is about 90 degrees and they sacrifice leverage for the short throw. Also the lever stops on the handle prevent the handle from getting anywhere close to its cam-over point.  The press was marketed for operations like bullet seating and priming. 

Save you money and buy the Lee challenger 50th anniversary kit.  Its $143. and Lee only charges $4.00 for shipping.

Paul