Author Topic: 195 yard kill  (Read 1760 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
195 yard kill
« on: December 27, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
On December 5th shotgun season in Ohio, my Dad and I were hunting a 400 hundred acre farm and spotted five deer bedded down from 200 yards off the road.  I have the USH with the Nikon BDC 200 reticule scope and is highly accurate out to 200 yards with Hornady's SST'S.  My Dad has a Remington 870 with a slug scope and is highly accurate out to 100 yards.   

We got up to an embankment and were talking about what to do.  My Dad was the spotter for me because his gun isn't as good as mine.  I got setup the prone position which was is like shooting off the bench.  The first deer I shot, I double lunged it and didn't even go 20 yards.  Then I reloaded and shot at another deer and ended up hitting the tree it was standing by. 

We decided to charge at the deer to make sure that they wouldn't run off the property and my Dad dropped a deer in it's tracks at 100 yards.  After about dozen shots between us, we ended up killing two deer and had a complete blast.  The deer I shot at and killed was at 195 yards which for me is the farthest deer I have ever taken with my USH.       
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline chillydigits

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gene Pool narrowing...Think about it
Re: 195 yard kill
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
Perhaps in the excitement of the charge, part of your story got left out? But call me crazy I thought you had to fill out and attach your temp deer tag and or landowners permit to the killed deer before you could start shooting more deer on the same day in Ohio... ::)...
We have to kill these animals or else they will die, That makes us enviromentalists.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:23:12 AM »
195 yards is a poke...Nice job on the double lung.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:06:46 AM »
A dozen shots and two deer?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
 A dozen shots. ::).  Sounds like a lot of wasted lead being thrown around to me.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
Sounds like fun to me. One shot one kill is boring.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »
195 yard shot is impressive with a slug gun. I personally like one shot one kill. I shot a 9 point the last Saturday of ML season here in N.Y. only to find out it was full of infection and none of the meat was any good because someone was just slinging slugs at its butt as it was running away earlier in the season.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »
A dozen shots. ::).  Sounds like a lot of wasted lead being thrown around to me.

I will come to a defense here, I have shot a lot of deer and hogs. Some went bang flop, others went a few yards and fell, still others -- especially when shot with a shotgun or with my 35 remington ate up slugs like there was no tomorrow. I am of the school of thought that if I shoot a deer and he ain't laying there I keep shooting til he is or I am out of bullets. Now maybe it does waste some meat, but I don't have to hunt up many deer. I also do not advocate doing this in any unsafe way.

I just wanted to give some credence to buckshooter. I commend you for putting those deer on down!

PS. Buckshooter ---- you ain't always gotta tell the whole truth!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:59:25 AM »
A dozen shots. ::).  Sounds like a lot of wasted lead being thrown around to me.

X2  ::)  :-X  "After about dozen shots between us, we ended up killing two deer and had a complete blast". Kid sometimes some things are better off left unsaid!!
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:23:18 AM »
Sounds like a couple of road huntin slobs to me.  Ain't nothing better to let the deer calm down than 2 guys charging with shotguns blazing :-[ Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline kf4ocv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 04:46:07 AM »
Charging Deer?  After about dozen shots between us, we ended up killing two deer and had a complete blast.   Sounds like a couple of teenagers.  My Dad would have beat me to death if i'd acted like that in the woods.  You dont go spraying lead like it was Lysol.  Where is your sportsmanship?   What abt gun safety?  This is EXACTLY what the antihuntin crowd wants to hear.  Go take a safety course and learn you local regulations.
Chris

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 05:12:21 AM »
All I want to know is did ya'll fix bayonets for the charge ? A 200 yard shot at a still deer is one thing at a moving or just alerted deer is not a high % shot .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 05:50:17 AM »
Sounds like a couple of road huntin slobs to me.  Ain't nothing better to let the deer calm down than 2 guys charging with shotguns blazing :-[ Kurt
Charging Deer?  After about dozen shots between us, we ended up killing two deer and had a complete blast.   Sounds like a couple of teenagers.  My Dad would have beat me to death if i'd acted like that in the woods.  You dont go spraying lead like it was Lysol.  Where is your sportsmanship?   What abt gun safety?  This is EXACTLY what the antihuntin crowd wants to hear.  Go take a safety course and learn you local regulations.

My thoughts exactly.
I wonder how many of the deer went off wounded after the "firefight" >:(

Spanky

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 06:06:29 AM »
  Doesn't look like they have a requirement for hunter safety courses where he is from.
  You are right kf4ocv. My Dad would have done the same as yours.     

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »
My Dad would have whooped my butt and when he was done my Granddad would have whooped it too!! :o

Spanky

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 06:31:16 AM »
We were setting up the first drive of the day and jumped 8 deer in a patch of pines 5 of use shot 6 times and had 4 deer on the ground and 2 of those shots were to put deer down that were not dead yet and you better believe that we checked and double checked that there were no other wounded deer that needed to tracked down. WE OWE IT TO THE DEER TO KILL THEM AS QUICKLY AND HUMANELY AS POSSIBLE!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 07:54:45 AM »
Sounds like a good deer drive Spike. ;D
Back when my Granddad was alive we used to put on drives with 10 or 12 of us. Half of the group was pushers and half were posted on watch. It was always exciting to be posted on watch when deer started coming through. :)
Granddad is gone now and there's only a few of us left hunting the area so the hunting has changed.

Spanky

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 05:04:58 AM »
That's why they call it hunting and not killing!  Believe me, all the shots had a solid backdrop because of the hillside they were bedded against.  As for safety, the only thing at risk out there were the deer, NOT other hunters!  Some of you may need to remember that you're out there KILLING deer.  I think you may have a little too much "love for the animal" going on.  If it was always "one shot one kill" then they would give us rifles, not the crappy slug guns to kill em with!  

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 05:33:10 AM »
That's why they call it hunting and not killing!  Believe me, all the shots had a solid backdrop because of the hillside they were bedded against.  As for safety, the only thing at risk out there were the deer, NOT other hunters!  Some of you may need to remember that you're out there KILLING deer.  I think you may have a little too much "love for the animal" going on.  If it was always "one shot one kill" then they would give us rifles, not the crappy slug guns to kill em with!  

::)You might want to quit while your ahead. ::)
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 07:18:05 AM »
It ain't the slug guns that's the problem here.... it's the guys using them. ;)  As far as too much "love for the animal", it ain't love it's respect. The animal deserves respect and a humane kill. If you can't do it right then don't do it at all.

Spanky

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
We have a club range with a 40 foot back stop . At the bottom of the back stop was several metal targets and several metal target holders . All with in 5 foot of base . We had to remove all metal as some bullets hit the metal and got over the backstop. Was that hillside all dirt with no rocks ?
Can I assume that hunting means missing ? Forgive me but hunting is tracking , finding , getting as close as possible , learning the habits of game and deciding wheather or not you can kill the animal. To decide you must show good judgement. At the point you decide to kill the critter and shoot you passed from hunting to killing.
Only thing at risk were more than deer if in fact a charge was attempted . Two guys running and shooting could have turned sour if one or both tripped.
And yes we are out killing deer , well we hope to. I venture to guess most take high percentage shots they know they can make not mounting a charge , running wild azz slinging lead , just a guess on my part mind you.
I wish "they" gave me my slug gun but "they" didn't I paid for it , set it up, praticed with it and know how close to get and how to hunt with it . Most would. Blaming poor woods craft , poor shooting or bad judgement on "they" is pure BS. If anyone buys and hunts with a crappy slug gun its their choice as you can go else where to hunt or invest in good equipment.

The guy made a good shot on the first deer , pushed his luck on the second and IMHO showed poor judgement on the next 10 shots.

When you charge and sling lead its slaughter not hunting , well it is if you hit the targets if not its just a irresponsible trot .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »
Maybe it should be noted also a slug travles farther and in most cases can do more damage after strikilng a hard surface than a rifle or handgun bullet .

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »
 The deer were 200 yards off the road. First shot was 198 yards? That would be road side hunting(poaching) Charged over the berm(screaming like indians) shooting at deer with a 100 yard Rem 870? If it is only accurate at 100 then why shoot from a distance near 200? Putting on a charge with a single shot?

Sounds like when me and the boys get the paintball guns out, NOT hunting!

Lonny

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 03:08:48 AM »
Okay, after rereading my own post, I need to clarify some things. 

While the deer were 200 yards off the road, we had to work our way through the woods about 50 yards to an embankment - NOT road hunting!  There may not have been a dozen shots, sorry for a little exaggeration on my part. 

Also, my 2nd shot was at the SAME deer, NOT another deer.  Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. 

Finally, when we charged, it entailed running at the deer, setting up at about 100 yards, and taking accurate well-placed shots - for my Dad.  My deer was finally down for the count at this point with no further need for shooting.  He shot at and dropped his deer with one well-placed shot, and then a kill shot from a few yards away when we arrived at the spot where they fell.

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but there was no hollering like indians or shooting while running - THAT would be really dumb, as I learned in our hunter education course and my Dad would NEVER allow. 

On the other hand, there was woodsmanship, skilled shooting, and quick-thinking hunting that took place.  For some of you, just because we didn't sit on our asses in a tree stand, eating candy bars and getting fat, AND actually ran and worked hard to get our deer, there seems to be a problem?  Maybe you should work out a little more and leave the REAL hunting to the guys who are in better physical condition.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 03:20:07 AM »
I dont know, I pulled the trigger 3 times & had 3 dead deer. Get them closer, make beter shots, save money on ammo, no long bloodtrails, better all around, =more fun to me. Do what you want, this is my opinion. Mike

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »
Yep, takes a lot of woodsmenship to spot from the road and chase em across a field. You and your Dad must be in excellent physical condition. I prefer to set up in a stand and let them come to me, unaware of my presence and when i do take one they are not all pumped full of adrenalin from being chased.
Handi rifles
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »
We let the dogs charge ( don't let um tote guns when they do it ) and chase them to us.  ;D

Offline kf4ocv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 04:30:04 AM »
worked hard to get our deer.    do you reload?  LOL   Sorry couldn't resist that one.     as for sitting on our _ _ _,  graybeard runs a CLEAN site here so dont push your luck.  and no i dont eat while hunting. 
Chris

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Okay, after rereading my own post, I need to clarify some things.  

While the deer were 200 yards off the road, we had to work our way through the woods about 50 yards to an embankment - NOT road hunting!  There may not have been a dozen shots, sorry for a little exaggeration on my part.  

Also, my 2nd shot was at the SAME deer, NOT another deer.  Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.  

Finally, when we charged, it entailed running at the deer, setting up at about 100 yards, and taking accurate well-placed shots - for my Dad.  My deer was finally down for the count at this point with no further need for shooting.  He shot at and dropped his deer with one well-placed shot, and then a kill shot from a few yards away when we arrived at the spot where they fell.

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but there was no hollering like indians or shooting while running - THAT would be really dumb, as I learned in our hunter education course and my Dad would NEVER allow.  

On the other hand, there was woodsmanship, skilled shooting, and quick-thinking hunting that took place.  For some of you, just because we didn't sit on our xxxxxx in a tree stand, eating candy bars and getting fat, AND actually ran and worked hard to get our deer, there seems to be a problem?  Maybe you should work out a little more and leave the REAL hunting to the guys who are in better physical condition.

That does sound a little more realistic. As far as woodsmanship, see how close you can get. It is very cool when you set against a tree on my butt and deer walks with in 15 FEET. Or setting in a ladders stand and a little fawn rubs against it, with no care in the world. Or a squirrel climbs on a stand with you trying to figure out what you are.
By the way my fat butt is 5'8" tall and 178lbs thank you!
Lonny

Offline chillydigits

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gene Pool narrowing...Think about it
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 11:54:22 PM »
The 2nd shot was at the same deer??? yet your post clearly states you shot at another deer but hit a tree?? If your going to go the revisionist history route perhaps it would be wise to change the original post to reflect your new twist on the events.... :o ::) :P
We have to kill these animals or else they will die, That makes us enviromentalists.