Author Topic: Pacfic Press question.......  (Read 578 times)

Offline twohats

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Pacfic Press question.......
« on: December 28, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
I am finally getting enough stuff collected to start reloading.Ran into a problem when I went to install a shell holder.My press doesn't accept the holders.Looks like the holder is made into the shaft that is in the press already.What am I missing,granted this old press was given to me.I believe the shaft was made just for one shell.Help....
The ground is always level at the foot of the cross..............

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Pacfic Press question.......
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
Don't know about your pacific press, but it being made for one cartridge.....I doubt it.  The end of all rams look a little like a shellholder, yours may take a specific brand if it is somewhat dated (old).  Today, most modern rams will use various brands of shellholders. Look at it closer and maybe take a pic and post it so we can see what's up.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:28 AM »
My Pacfic press was cartridge specific.  38 special to be exact. I know because thats what my father used it for.  Hornady was able to supply a new ram that took shell holders. This was about 30 years ago, I don't know if they still can.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:07:03 AM »
You must have a very old Pacific press. I bought my first Pacific Power C press in about 1970, it was Blue, and the second about 1972 it was red. Both of these presses, except standard shell holders. You may try e-bay for a standard ram, I think I have seen them on there. About 5 years ago I tried to buy a spring clip from Hornady for the shell holder, and was told by Hornady. They no longer carry parts for the old Pacific presses. The pacific were very strong tight presses. I just sold one of these, needed more Ram length, but that 40 year old press, was as tight as it was 40 years ago. and the other is still mounted next to a new Redding Big boss

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »
call RCBS at 800-533-5000  dan

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
I have a Red Pacific "C" press that accepts RCBS shell holders.  Bought the press about 1974-75.  I only use mine to seat bullets.  I use a stronger press for sizing. 

Offline twohats

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »
I just ordered a universal ram from CH4tools.I was told that it would work.I quess I will have to compare when I get it.Thanks for the responses.I still might have to invest alot more money afterall...

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
".I believe the shaft was made just for one shell."

You are correct.  In the early days Pacific was a major player, they developed the basic press design we still use, the now standard 7/8" x 14 die bodies and, after starting with shell holders milled into the ram top, they soon developed the interchangeable shell holders we still use.  

It's a good thing for many owners of the old Pacific presses, from the early 60s actually, that other makers copied a lot of Pacific designs including the ram.  Most of the rams from other mid-size presses will indeed interchange with your's and that's THE way to deal with the shell holder problem.  I see an occasional shell holder-ram show up on eBay from time to time...history.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline twohats

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
Thanks.Looks like I might be in business afterall.I ordered a ram today from CH4 and maybe soon I will loading....... ;D