Author Topic: Advice needed for Pardner purchase  (Read 2017 times)

Offline picb

• Trade Count: (0)
Advice needed for Pardner purchase
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm looking to purchase my first shotgun and have pretty much settled on a Pardner 20 gauge single shot.  The only question I have is whether to get the smaller compact version.  I am six feet and 185 so I can handle the full size Pardner but I liked the idea of a shorter barrel length.

The use of this shotgun will be general target shooting (no plans to hunt yet) and its important for me to keep the cost as low as possible.

Am I on the right track with a 20 ga. Pardner single shot?  If so, would you recommend the full size or compact?  Also, modified or full choke?  Smooth or rifled bore?  I'd like the shotgun to be as "flexible" as possible - meaning I can use it for a variety of purposes.

Thanks!

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
Re: Advice needed for Pardner purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
I would personally go with the standard length 26" modified choke. This will still be more compact than a semi or pump gun and a little longer barrel length is often helpful while shooting moving targets. I'd also go with a smooth bore because you can use any size shot through it as well as cheaper foster style slugs. Bird shot is not meant to be shot through rifled bores and your patterns will be all over the place. A 20 will do almost anything a 12 will do and is a lot easier on the shoulder in these light shotguns.

Offline picb

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »
Thanks very much.  Any point in looking at the Topper or Topper Deluxe Classic?

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »
I have a TDC 20ga and a 22" modified choke 20ga. I like the TDC for the interchangeable choke tubes,but the versatility of the 22" 20ga is great I can hunt squirrels to deer with it and the short barrel length makes a great brush gun.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Frankn4

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
Our local Walmart has the pardner single shot 20 for $127.00. It has the Pardnere short barrel, short LOP 20 youth for $134.00.

They also have the Pardner 20 pump in either regular or the youth with 21 inch barrel and 13 inch LOP. It is $159.00. Fro $25.00 more, you get a repeater, interchangeable choke tubes, and even interchangeable barels. You might want to conside that.
Now that I think of it, I never was as good as I used to be!

Offline picb

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
I'll probably get a pump at some point but I want my first shotgun to be a single shot.  1) its the cheapest way to go and 2) its as simple as they get.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
Here's another option. Get a 20ga tamer. If you like the shorter barrel with the shorter lop stock.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
I would personally go with the standard length 26" modified choke. This will still be more compact than a semi or pump gun and a little longer barrel length is often helpful while shooting moving targets. I'd also go with a smooth bore because you can use any size shot through it as well as cheaper foster style slugs. Bird shot is not meant to be shot through rifled bores and your patterns will be all over the place. A 20 will do almost anything a 12 will do and is a lot easier on the shoulder in these light shotguns.

What he said^^^

If you want a multipurpose 20 gauge Pardner that one will be the most versatile.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline picb

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
Before Christmas, my local Fred Meyer's had the 20 gauge Pardner on sale for $119.  Thing is, I hadn't finished saving up for it yet.  NOW, I have the money but the gun is back to its regular price of $139.  Dang...

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »

The 20 ga Pardner has become my do everything  gun. It's light easy to carry and hits hard enough to kill anything in N. America.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
My full size 20 gauge pardner is my go to gun! Great first gun.

Offline picb

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
Thanks for all the responses and advice.  Sounds like the full size 20 gauge with a modified choke and smooth bore is the right choice for me.  Now the only question is, do I pay the full price or wait until it goes on sale!

I even asked if they would sell it to me for the sale price but that was a no go.  Maybe if I ask every day....

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
You're definitely on the right track buddy. Get yourself a slip on recoil pad from Wally World and you'll be all set. If you've got the $$ to spare you can get a fitted recoil pad but the slip on works just as well and will save you some $$.
Alot of us shoot cheap Remington Sluggers out of our Pardners and they shoot really well out to about 75 yds.
I did a poll a while back on here and asked which Pardner was best suited for all around use... the 20 ga. won by a landslide. ;)

Well what are ya waiting on..... get back to the shop and buy it buddy. :D :D

Spanky

Offline JRW209

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »
Big 5 has them on sale for $119 Fairly often.

Offline picb

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »
I dont live in an area with alot of gun stores or big box stores that sell guns so anytime I am near one, I check to see if they have any H&Rs.  $119 was a good price and I should have just gotten it but I like to save up my money ahead of time and I wasn't quite there.  I pay for all my hobbies out of my own extra earning so it doesn't come out of the family budget. 

Are there any slip on recoil pads that also double as shell holders?

Offline picb

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48:37 PM »
Something like this:

If I get a Limbsaver, what size fits the Pardner?  Small?

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 09:29:30 PM »
 If you have any pawn shops near, check them out. With most deer seasons over and Christmas getting into peoples pockets you may find a bargain. Shops around here pay 1/3 of retail, then mark them up. Take cash and make an offer ;)

That recoil pad looks good. Where did you find it at?

Lonny

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »

I just bought 2 of them used for $100 each. I might have done a bit better but these were exactly what I was looking for and close to home.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 03:50:25 AM »
Rather than buy the Pardner and have to buy a recoil pad, just get the Topper 20, it already has it. Keep the money in your pocket and spend a little time shopping; you arent trying to get it for a hunting season anyway and can wait for what you want at the price you like.
Remember, too, that you have to buy shells; get them maybe now on sale. I suggest 20ga. 2 3/4", 7/8 oz. of #7 1/2 and #6. Around here I can get them for about $6/bx.
You say you want to target shoot so maybe go down to the local 'Rod & Gun Club' on trap night; watch, and listen a lot; just dont let the high rollers buffalo you about wanting to start with a cheap gun. There was an 'old' guy who used to show up every year for the money shoot with an old ratty single shot that he had used for everything for years. He would win or place; always going home with more money than he came with. Drove the high rollers with their multi-thousand dollar trap guns crazy. He was nice too.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline kf4ocv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 05:00:30 AM »
It sounds like your definately on the right track,  20g is a middle of the road approach.  My 20g 158 topper is my favorite.  With it I shoot alot of skeet  it easy on the shoulder as well as the wallet.  I agree with the other guys check local pawn shops;  you might be surprised at some deals since Chritmas is over. 
Chris

Offline picb

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
Wow, this is a great forum.  I appreciate all the responses.  Gcrank, I'll check out the Topper 20.  I've seen several Pardners in stores here but no Toppers.  Not sure why.  Thanks also for the ammo recommendations.  That was something I was wondering about.

I found that recoil pad with the shell holder here:
http://store.prairiearms.com/store/product/114645/AAE-NEOPRENE-RECOIL-PAD-BLK-SG/

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »

Last week I was hunting with my 20 and I was walking around with #3 buck in case I kicked something up close in. I had slugs in one pocket and #6 shot in the other for squirrels. You can't do that with a pump.

Offline picb

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
Just out of curiousity, when your walking around the woods with your Pardner, do you have a shell chambered?

Offline JRW209

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
I do. The new Pardners have a transfer bar safety so not much if any risk of the gun going off even if dropped. if you want you could just slide a shell in the chamber but leave the action open and snap it shut when your ready to take a shot, although i think that it is unnessary. i carry with a shell in the chamber with the hammer down. it is just one quick motion to cock the hammer as you shoulder the gun.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 04:13:19 AM »
If I remember correctly several yrs. ago I picked up a nice 16ga. Pardner at a local pawn shop for $85 out the door. They are around, just keep checking. I later bought a 20ga. barrel from someone here so now I have a nice combo shotgun: 20ga. drilled and tapped for scope is my deer slug gun and the 16ga. is for everything else.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »
Just out of curiousity, when your walking around the woods with your Pardner, do you have a shell chambered?

Obviously as gun owners we should always follow rule number 1 and never point our gun at anything that we're not willing to destroy.

That being said, the Transfer Bar safety is in my opinion the best design when it comes to mechanical safeties. It's one of the many reasons I like H&R shotguns and rifles.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

Roger on the loaded chamber. Not a bit unsafe. I find that I do a lot more walking and looking than I do shooting so a lightweight gun such as the pardner works out better for me than the 870.

Offline picb

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
Ok, more advice needed.

Would you recommend a new H&R Pardner ($130) or an older used Savage 220 ($120) with about 75 rounds of ammo.

The seller seems like a real good guy and he lives here in Oregon but he's about 4 hours away so I can't really "check out" the gun.  He's willing to meet me if I buy it however.

One thing I prefer about the Pardner is that its 3" shorter overall.  The Savage appears to be "hammerless" with the tang safety.  Walnut seems in decent shape. Some minor wear on the trigger guard but the barrel looks good.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
Considering that you would be getting a brand new gun for $10 more and you can get boxes of 100 shells at walmart for $17 bucks The difference would probably be the gas you would spend to get the savage, and you can add more barrels to the pardner down the road.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
That, and think about how you are going to feel about having a hammer on the H&R with a safety transfer bar vs the internal striker on the Savage with a sliding safety you have to engage/disengage. To me there is something comforting about being able to see and feel the hammer is not cocked until I actually do it just before getting ready to fire.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974