Author Topic: still with the ignition problems  (Read 734 times)

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
still with the ignition problems
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
I thought I had fixed the problems by changing the hammer spring ,but no! today I went out and about 1/4 of the rounds need a second hit. thats better but still not there. next is the firing pin fix? then send it back for a transfer bar fix? when did H&R come out with the improved transfer bar? my gun has a prefix of CBA, so probably made in 08. I have a few handis but this is the only one that hasnt gone bang with every pull of the trigger! Does this sound like a logical plan? what do youall think? DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: still with the ignition problems
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
Refresh my memory... What was the caliber? There can be primer issues too. CCI are known to be "harder" than others.

Yes I definitely would at the very least check the pin protrusion. Should be +- .040 . Even if you foul it up by grinding too much off hammer. It's a two minute and less than ten dollar exercise.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
CW its a 4570 BC. I hate to say ruled out but Ive tried several brands of primers with the same result. I do notice that when I push the transfer bar forward by hand it pushes the pin nearly twice as far out. the frame cut is a little rough and the hammer only  strikes only a small spot on the frame. so maybe a little cleanup there is in order. if it doesnt work Ill be no worse off. DR

in this pic above the firing pin, at the top edge of the frame right next to the barrel release you will see the shiny spot. that is the only place the hammer hits the frame. and in the last pic a spot matching it on the hammer

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »
 Agree with your assessment.  I would strip receiver and carefully file they area on the frame flush and reblue. Reassesemble and check protrusion.

It's completely normal for hammer not to get full compression of the transfer bar and firing pin. Remember as a guide, your looking for .040 to .045 pin protrusion.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »
I measured the pin protrusion at .040002. almost .040 exactly. ::) All I can do at this point is try. thanks DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »
I measured the pin protrusion at .040002. almost .040 exactly. ::) All I can do at this point is try. thanks DR

Is that after you cleaned off the debris on your receiver or before?

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
In the pic its still there .Ive now removed it and have .045 pin protrusion. I primed up six cases and all but one needed two hits to go bang. the one thats seperated is the only one with only one hit.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:40 AM »
It looks like the hits are better and deeper, right?, and consistent looking? If so, you are gaining on it with this approach. I wonder if you have a too deeply cut rim seat that is requiring a longer firing pin protrusion than normal?

Also, is that .045 with only thumb pressure on the hammer spur, as in a real hammer hit on the transfer bar?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
Guncrank, I compared them to some shot before cleaning the frame and they look about the same. I did measure the pin with thumb pressure on the hammer. Im thinking a call to H&R is next. Ive measured head space both by measuring how far a case will drop below the breech and by firing a primed case and measuring the primers rise. Ive replaced the hammer spring,  polished the firing pin, and cleaned up the hammer channel. I think at this point Ill let H&R fix it. DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
Guncrank, I compared them to some shot before cleaning the frame and they look about the same. I did measure the pin with thumb pressure on the hammer. Im thinking a call to H&R is next. Ive measured head space both by measuring how far a case will drop below the breech and by firing a primed case and measuring the primers rise. Ive replaced the hammer spring,  polished the firing pin, and cleaned up the hammer channel. I think at this point Ill let H&R fix it. DR

OK you have checked the head space with a straight edge across a fully seated, new, loaded case. What did you find? That case should be near or just slightly below flush. Kinda like a seated primer. (If your a re-loader.)  If its more, your chamber rim cut is deep and will cause these issues.  One other thing, something I have been bothered with. The Wolfe springs look and are colored just like the factory springs. If you hold them side by side, the Wolfe spring is slightly bent more. Its very possible to reinstall the old spring unless you are very careful. Personally, I have coated the Wolfe springs in red dykem before hand so this does not occur. (I know because I did just that!!)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:29 AM »
Personally, I have coated the Wolfe springs in red dykem before hand so this does not occur. (I know because I did just that!!)

CW

Great minds think alike!! I put a dab of the wife's discarded fingernail polish on Wolff springs as soon as I get em!  :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
I think before I send it off Ill try swapping frames. that should settle weather its ammo related or frame related. DR

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Well that was a big fat failure! the BCs barrel wont close up on any other frame I have.Oh Well Next Year it will get fixed! DR