Author Topic: I was wondering if anyone else does this  (Read 1245 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I was wondering if anyone else does this
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:01:12 AM »
buy a new rifle in a caliber that you don't have dies and bullets for and soundly proclaim that no matter what you are NOT reloading this cartridge.  so you buy a few boxes of factory ammo (saving the brass of course) and the next thing you know your dies and components are on the way from midsouth. 
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
Re: I was wondering if anyone else does this
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:04:43 AM »
Been there. Done that. ;D
                                         Jim     <")))><

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:38:51 AM »
Nope, if I'm going to own it, I'm going to reload for it.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:46:51 AM »
I've done the reverse.  I once bought a Colt .380 Govt model, and a set of .380 dies for it.  A friend told me that "nobody loads .380" and I ignored him at the time.  I've never handloaded a round of .380 ammo, but load for everything else.  I've still got the .380 dies around somewhere, unused.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:01:38 AM »
buy a new rifle in a caliber that you don't have dies and bullets for and soundly proclaim that no matter what you are NOT reloading this cartridge.  so you buy a few boxes of factory ammo (saving the brass of course) and the next thing you know your dies and components are on the way from midsouth. 

Yup! Done that with the .243 and 7.62X54, among a couple others.  I've also bought dies in anticiaption buying a rifle in a certain caliber. I wanted a .338 Win Mag for years.  Bought dies in the early 80's and didn't buy the rifle until two years ago. I still have dies for the .222 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag and .45 Win. Mag and no firearms in those calibers.

Reloading can be a sickness, I guess.   :o

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:16:53 AM »
I usually buy the brass and dies then slip in the rifle or handgun to fill the picture ;)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:56 AM »
I've done the reverse. 

Ya me too, Buy the dies before I have the gun!   :'( Why would you buy a gun and NOT reload for it? That just plain don't make sense, ::)  :P

Has factory ammo suddenly improved soo much that they can preform better and more reliably than MY loaded shells?  :-[  :-\
found elsewhere

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
I've done the reverse. 

Ya me too, Buy the dies before I have the gun!   :'( Why would you buy a gun and NOT reload for it? That just plain don't make sense, ::)  :P

Has factory ammo suddenly improved soo much that they can preform better and more reliably than MY loaded shells?  :-[  :-\

I rarely shoot that .380 that I have.  I don't like and don't use factory ammo in any other gun that I have.  I guess my problem with the .380, other than my not shooting it, is that with the first box of ammo that I bought (Magtech as I recall, but it's been years ago now) was that I lost some of my brass in the grass at the range. Those little cases, coming out of a semiauto like my Colt, can get hard to find. My .357's show up a lot better.  And for serious, middle of the night home defense, I figure I can find my 12 ga empties after the smoke clears.  I hate to part with that little Colt though.  It shoots pretty well, conceals easily, and looks and feels just like a shrunken, stainless, 1911A1. 

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »
I had my reloading down to four calibers, 9mm-.223-30-30, and 7.62x39mm. I have just added a new 7mm-08 rifle and a 30-06 barrel for my H&R frame the .223 sits on also. Lately I have purchased 200 .284 diameter bullets, 200 .308 diameter bullets and 3-1 lb cans of propellant along with two sets of dies and a bunch of brass cases. Primers I'm set on. But the madness never stops. But I do plan on developing loads using just one weight bullet of the two new calibers and might be able to load both with one propellant eventually.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:16 PM »
I start loading for my guns almost from the first. Sometimes the gun just wait till the loading tools are available. My problem is I buy and sell and trade at an alarming rate, I seldom keep guns for a long time. So then I'm stuck with dies ect. that are of no use to me that I usually end up selling for rediculous prices.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 02:32:23 AM »
Always figure on reloading whatever new caliber I might get. Already sold one gun, and a year later, bought another in the same caliber, just because I had the dies. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 02:56:12 AM »
I did an extensive search to find a set of dies for my 270 REN well before I ordered the barrel!  I had the dies and a bucket full of loaded rounds nearly a year before I ever got the barrel!

I always get a set of dies to load my own.  I've got some Contender barrels that have never seen a factory load!

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 03:38:27 AM »
I built a 7 X 61 Sharpe and Hart after a friend gave me 3 cases and I did some research on the round.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 03:47:36 AM »
buy a new rifle in a caliber that you don't have dies and bullets for and soundly proclaim that no matter what you are NOT reloading this cartridge.  so you buy a few boxes of factory ammo (saving the brass of course) and the next thing you know your dies and components are on the way from midsouth.  

No way, I never buy factory ammo.  I buy or already have the brass, dies and bullets to start reloading.

yooper77

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 03:52:12 AM »
I have 2 pistols in 32ACP and one in 380. I have been saving the brass. I have looked at dies and components. Nope, not going to do it.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 04:49:47 AM »
This is a funny thread and it hits home.  I usually buy the gun first...but....I shot a buddy's 480 ruger and liked the cartridge so much I bought all the components and dies as I looked for a gun.  I found the gun and now will probably sell it and have a custom 5 shooter built in that cartridge! 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 05:14:27 AM »
As much a die hard reloader that I am, I believe that the tiny autos would be some that I wouldn't load for. Being autos they fling the brass hither and yon. They aren't interesting as far as accuracy, their main purpose is to get a bullet headed in the right direction. Handloading can't improve much on that. Can't build squibs or high performance loads. The only reason to load for them would be to save $, but if you buy the bullets, you don't save much of that.

Maybe that's why I've never owned one, why would anyone want a gun that doesn't make sense to load for.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 06:26:06 AM »
There are many sensible reasons to own a compact pistol.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
Yup, a 5 or 6 shooter.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
I load for a S&W Bodyguard in .380..it does fling brass..but everyone else seems to leave theirs on the ground..so I usually take home many more than I shoot.  A pound of powder goes a long way when loading for the .380!
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
I load for both of my .380's. I started reloading just to save money, but I've since found that Ireally enjoy it. 16 oz divided by 3.5 gr = lotsa ammo!
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline 375supermag

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 04:15:44 AM »
I have done it both ways...I have handguns that have been fired thousands of times and have never seen a factory round. Sometimes I will buy some cheap factory ammo, just for the brass...not so much anymore, as I have friends that shoot only factory ammo and are willing to give me their used brass.

Rifle ammo is a different thing...I usually only fire a few boxes of factory ammunition through any given rifle in a year's time. So I mostly buy factory ammo...that will soon change, as my teenage son is shooting more and more rifle, especially 7x57Mauser, .303British and .25/06. Die sets in those calibers are on my need to get list. Factory ammo for the 7.62x39 is still so cheap, I can't see the cost benefit of reloading for it yet.

Another thing that may soon change is my reluctance to reload for 12ga shotgun. My son and I have been breaking an awful lot of claybirds the last year or so and even buying in bulk is getting a little expensive. I may need to get a shotshell reloading setup at the rate he shoots claybirds.

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »
I load for my .380, it does seem to be more of a chore than loading for anything else but I still do it. Since small pistol primers and Unique are always on the bench anyway, then I found a set of carbide RCBS dies at a gunshow for $20 and couldn't pass it up, all I need is a box of 90gr 9mm bullets as required. Why wouldn't I?

Granted, I was flat broke at the time I aquired the little fella and refused to spend that much of what little money I had on a set of dies no more than I was shooting at the time. It took two years of shooting it and whining about spending that much on a box of factory ammo when I knew I could load my own for pennies befor I spotted thoes dies and ran with it.

Everything else, I either already had the dies or promply got a set.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »
I have a couple of old guns in 32ACP that I reload for and its a challenge. But the bigger challenge is finding the brass at the range the way they fling them. I finally made up a roll down "shade" from some old tarp material that goes with me, so when I shoot from the last lane on the range that shade down to the floor keeps most of them within sight!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us