Author Topic: Case Capacities--Water...  (Read 701 times)

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Case Capacities--Water...
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
Anyone have a chart that shows the capacities of various cases when filled with water...

I guess internal volume would be the same, but I have always seen it done with water...

Thanks...BCB

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Case Capacities--Water...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »
Whata ya mean be the same?

Internal capacities of different brands vary within the same caliber. I've only studied .223, and just as a novelty really, and even the same makers brass will vary by year class or run, like Lake city mil brass.

Not tryin to be rude, but what are ya after in the end run with your question? Maybe we can help if more specific.

Guys use water because it fills the entire case with no air space between something like stick powder. Then the info is usually used to sort cases by similar capacity to remove another variable.
 Water by volume weighs close to many powders, esp true 2f(ffg) Black Powder), but not all powders of course.

Noslers book and listed load info shows case capacity of different powders by % of the case filled with different loads.

found elsewhere

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »
I am aware that different brand named brass of the same cartridge may have a slightly different capacity…

But the approximate number for the generic 223 or whatever cartridge will be good enough for me…

I am going to use the capacities to be able to calculated charges of Trail Boss for each case without actually having a particular case…

I have been working extensively with Trail Boss, and it is just a bit of a casual project for my own use…

Thanks…BCB

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
Internal capacities of different brands vary within the same caliber. I've only studied .223, and just as a novelty really, and even the same makers brass will vary by year class or run, like Lake city mil brass.

How true...  :-\  I did my meaningless and statistically insignificant experiment measureing the difference in internal capacities between 7.62 LC Brass by year and various brands of commercial brass by lot.    :P  wasted enough water to irrigate the Sahara...  :-[  I forget what the results were except that generally speaking, - NEWS FLASH - military brass has less case capacity then commercial brass...  ::)

For the 7.62 anyway... dunno about the 5.56... 

I am going to use the capacities to be able to calculated charges of Trail Boss for each case without actually having a particular case...

Well okay then!   ;D  Trail Boss!  Close enough is good enough! :D

Check AmmoGuide Interactive.  They list just about every cartridge you can think of and one thing they show is case capacity!  for example, for the 223/5.56

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=fCnrRsffEc&catid=132

Let us know how it works out for you.  If you still got fingers to type and eyes to see I may try it myself!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »
Scroll down this link a ways for a capacity chart/comparison.
http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html
found elsewhere

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »
Lee list case volume as well.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM »
Those links helped bunches...

Thanks...BCB

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
If you really want to know the water capacity of your case, deprime a fired case, neck size it and seat a bullet in it. Place the case and bullet and a fired primer on your scale pan and weigh. Then fill the case with water using a hypodermic syringe with the needle inserted through the flash hole. Seat the primer with your thumb and weigh the whole shebang. The difference in the two weights is the weight of the water which can then be converted to volume arithmetically.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
Cartridge water weight capacity is normally done in a fired case filled to overflow, the link shows how to do the measurement plus a list of case capacities.

Happy New Year!!  ;)

Tim

http://kwk.us/cases.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »
Wouldnt you do as well to find a powder that has the same density as water ?  I was thinking about H110/W296 as an example.  You could fill with powder and create a chart of your own for reference.  As someone mentioned, I think Lee already has a comparison.