Author Topic: Once fired brass ?  (Read 687 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Once fired brass ?
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »
  I see brass sold all the time as once fired. What happens to all the brass that had multiple firings? Rarely do you ever see multi fired brass for sale. How do you know if the range pickup brass is once or multi fired? Just curious really. :)

Lonny

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Once fired brass ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
Good question.
I think its like trading or selling anything else here, its an honor system with feedback. I think I have been treated fairly in brass trades here.
Similar head stamp is a signal to me that the brass may be true to the x-fired claim, as it might not be worth the trouble to sort a bunch of range pickup into 100 lot increments of similar headstamp. "Range pickup" implies "buyer beware", not that the offeror is dishonest; he is being very forthcoming saying its range pickup.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »
 Dont get me wrong. I was not emplying I had been wronged, or anyone was dishonest. Every person I have dealt with here has been outstanding! I was just curous ;)

Lonny

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »
If the primer is crimped in place, it's once fired.  If there is primer sealer on the primers (frequently a red color) the case is most likely once fired since handloaders rarely use primer sealer.  Other than that, it's the honor system as noted above.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:46:54 AM »
 I think it depends some on what type of brass we are talking about. Just compare several times fired 45 acp brass to 243 win brass that have had a few hot loadings in a different chamber than yours. The 45 brass should be zero problems with a lot of life ahead. In this example the 243 win brass could have issues in your gun. I also like fresher brass, not 30 year old brass that's been in a coffee can all these years. All this said, if I see brass that looks good I'll pick it up & evaluate.
NRA, Veteran

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
Sometimes it is like all those rifles that are advertised that have only had less than two boxes of ammo shot in them. How many drunks have you ever seen that always say they have only had two beers?  ::)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:04:01 AM »
  I sold a shotgun to a GBO member that was only shot 6 times. So it does happen. I have one in the gun cabinet right now that has never been fired and it is for sale too.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 04:52:11 AM »
What happens to all the brass that had multiple firings?

Hopefully it ends up in a scrap bucket and is turned in for scrap. Brass is currently $1.60 a pound scrap. An Ice Cream pail is worth about $20!  ;D A five gal bucket is over 100.

Brass cartridges wear out after X number of fireings, the variables being how hot the charge is/was and how it was sized. Primer pockets expand and the flash hole opens up. Necks get hard and split.
 Someone can/could try to anneal the cases and screw it up getting the body and case head too hot, making the brass too soft and dangerous to load/shoot.
 Full length sizing streches the body of the case leading to case head seperation And that can be a bad thing as you don't always see it. You gotta measure the inside case or at least check it with a wire/paper clip. Here's case head seperation of some 30-06 I came across, the one that's cut had NO Visable Crack or External sighns at all !

Buyer Beware ! There are unscrupulous sellers out there. And guys that just plain don't know.
found elsewhere

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:54:28 AM »
Sometimes it is like all those rifles that are advertised that have only had less than two boxes of ammo shot in them. How many drunks have you ever seen that always say they have only had two beers?  ::)

I've seen a lot of drunks like that.

The story goes "I had a couple of beers" and was "minding my own business" when "I was jumped by two dudes."  Many times there is a "sucker punch" involved which I believe means the puncher didn't inform the punchee that he was going to punch which is obviously nonsporting.

I keep wondering when the "dudes" will be brought to justice.  I also keep wondering how big the beers had to be to get the blood alcohol level up to 250 with just two of them.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:51:42 AM »
Most companies that deal with once fired brass get theirs from police departments or other law enforcement agencies.  It is collected at the practice range and sold.  That's why the majority of once fired brass is 9mm/40 S&W/.223/.308 and to lesser degree 38 special and .357 Mag with a sprinkling of .357 Sig..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:16:48 AM »
Any once fired brass I offer,I know is true I usually get it from a source I'm confident in,or is fired by myself.  Any I can't substantiate either gets tossed or I use myself. Reputation is hard to re-establish once you lose it. I pride myself on my integrity.