Author Topic: Paintballs as projectiles?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline 0reo

• Trade Count: (0)
Paintballs as projectiles?
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »
Hi folks, I'm new so forgive me if this is a stupid question.  I've been looking at brass cannons for sale on http://www.brooks-usa.com/id4.html I see that they sell cannons with a .69" bore diameter.  Since this happens to be the same caliber as common paint balls, and since paint balls happen to make excellent & reasonably safe projectiles for back-yard fun I was curious if anyone knows whether they would work in a black-powder cannon or if they would just burst & spray.

While I'm on the subject, anyone have any experience with Brooks-USA or their cannons?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Paintballs as projectiles?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
 I got into paintball right at the start. In building some custom guns I found that paintballs don't stay together when pushed to high velocity. I think they'd burst pretty easily, even with a light BP charge. Too much of a shock compared to compressed air, Co2, etc.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline 0reo

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Any tips on what kind of projectiles to use on a 1acre lot then? I was thinking of the hollow plastic golf wiffle balls but that's a little too much cannon for me.  I really like the Brooks USA 24lb'er but even that is a little big for my tastes.  Cork perhaps?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 02:38:27 AM »
Ahhh paint balls -- I got as far as buying (for me 'buy' is a 4 letter word) a plastic bottle of them a few years back.  I think they're still sitting under the kitchen table.  My thoughts were to put a sabot behind them.

Sounds like a winter project.

BUT - 1 acre lot?  I'd do a golf-ball mortar!  Lay out the bingo grid.  Golf balls will go right-much high and are great fun to watch.  If you're fortunate enough to have livestock there are other twists to the game - Lance and I had great fun doing a tap dance around the meadow-muffins and making humorous comments 'bout the the calibers of road apples from mules, donkeys and horses.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »
A guy I sold a 68 cal cannon to a few years back fires paint balls.   The seam in the paint ball has to be in line with the bore and he wraps the ball in aluminum foil.   

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »
Brook's USA brass cannons are beyond comparison.  They are outstanding looking guns!
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:59:09 AM »
I have a Brooks 69 cal., 32 pounder.  I use practice paint balls from www.sterung-paintball.com wrapped in Al foil in my back yard.  Start with a low powder charge and work your way up.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 04:00:27 AM »
they do make .69 rubber balls for paintball indoor shooting. They hurt like hell   8)
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:37:46 AM »
they do make .69 rubber balls for paintball indoor shooting. They hurt like hell   8)

NT -  WELCOME to the board.

How do you handle the black powder smoke indoors?   :o ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 05:23:25 AM »
Brooks guns?  Nice!

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 06:20:46 AM »
thanks for the welcome Cat Whisperer. I imagine they would not be to happy me firing rubbers balls indoors from a cannon at warp speed  :P

PS: I love the smell of black powder. Wife not so much  ;)

NT -  WELCOME to the board.

How do you handle the black powder smoke indoors?   :o ;D
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline 0reo

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 08:14:08 AM »
OK, fantastic!  So shooting paintballs is possible. 

Next question... Think Brooks would make me a scaled down version of the 24lb'er? (model 0546)  That is a beautiful barrel but a 1" bore is just too much cannon for me for now.  Something slightly smaller I can make a conversation piece in my living room without seeming out of place.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:16:45 AM »
Send Michael an email, he is open to ideas.

Offline 0reo

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »
I did this morning.  Does he have regular business hours? How about a phone number?

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
Hey Oreo,

Michael will be at your request, here to examples of desk top cannons I've purchased from him...

Here's a .50 Cal. 9" inch long 24 Pdr.

and this one is a 6" 1/2 inch long .50 cal. 24 Pdr.

Like Douglas said swing him an email..

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
I have a bottle of paint balls and a paint ball mortar that I built to test this but I haven't fired it yet, so no data to report.   :-[
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 0reo

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
It's good to hear that Brooks-USA has a good reputation.  It's clear from the pictures that his brass work is impeccable but it wasn't clear from his site that his cannons are designed well for safe firing. His site clearly mentions firing his cannons but since I have no idea what design / engineering criteria need to be considered for things like mounting trunnions and bore wall thickness I had no way of verifying that he did either.  Brooks, if you're reading this perhaps that's a suggestion for your site in the future.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
PS: I love the smell of black powder. Wife not so much 

Best not to tell wife BP smells better than her   ::)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
Just a thought, has anybody tried freezing the paintballs?

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
The Brooks Cannon I have was made to exceed the standards of the  South African Miniature Cannon Club.  They also appear to be made to the standards of the N-SSA and AAA although I don't think they certify cannon this small.  

Brooks cannons are compatible with any other commercial cannons on the market and exceed the dimensions of most black powder muzzle loading firearms.

That is something you need to understand most Brooks cannons are not toys.  They are projectile firing black powder firearms.  The Smaller guns are firecracker guns, still not toys.  But well made.

They aren't really paint ball guns.  Some of the guys do shoot paint balls, but that isn't what they are made for.  If you are looking for  paintball cannons perhaps the folks over on the paintball forum can help you.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »
One of my most prized possessions is my little "Christmas Mortar" from Kap Pullen.

It shoots paintballs, and I haven't had any trouble with them bursting on firing. What I do have trouble with is that they rarely burst on impact. They only go about 25 yards and they don't always hit the ground (even pavement) with enough velocity to break the shell.

The rubber balls interest me...

Offline 0reo

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
No no, I understand about these cannons not being toys or paintball guns.  I only suggest paintballs because of their size / weight and availability. I mean, treat the cannon with respect but for my purposes, in a worst case scenario I can imagine sending a golf ball straight through the exterior wall of one of my neighbor's homes.  A paint ball that wouldn't happen because it would limit the range of the weapon and all but eliminate the ability of the projectile to penetrate barriers. Hence, I have no intention of freezing paintballs either.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
Just a thought, has anybody tried freezing the paintballs?

Freezing them was a trick done by some players early on and was soon forbidden at every field I played. You had to line up and chrono your gun (usually limited to 300fps) before being allowed to play the 1st game, then guys would crank up the velocity on their guns and use frozen paint balls. You couldn't take anyone out of the game with one since they don't break and make a mark, but one could sure put the hurt on another player.

So yes, it does work.

There was also some brand of jawbreaker candy close to paintball diameter that guys used. I saw some wax balls once. One reason I got out of paintball was due to seeing all kinds of unsportsmanlike conduct. Also, as I got older I felt that it probably wasn't a good idea to teach kids to shoot at eachother.

Being able to shoot at Ricky Schroder one time was worth the price of admission though. :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
.. in a worst case scenario I can imagine sending a golf ball straight through the exterior wall of one of my neighbor's homes.

A golfball mortar was suggested, maybe you should consider one.

Mortars are a lot more fun than most people think they would be.

You have more control over the range of the ball (by varying the charge), and you can watch it fly and impact.

And like some already mentioned, there are games like Mortar BINGO!

(I'm a bit of an authority on Mortar BINGO.  ;D)

And golfball mortars are just plain cool...

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 05:50:51 AM »
Terry,  That's a nice looking Mortar Family portrait!   Congrats!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 06:35:18 AM »
Terry,

I never much cared for clear wood, acorn nuts, and tampions, except for the way you do them...this isn't the first time you posted pictures pictures of these guns and I have liked them every  time...Very nice.  Believe the pictures of your mortars are previous Kewpie winners are they not.

Now back to Oreo question,

That would be quit the cannon that put a golf ball through the neighbors wall...you sure aren't going to do it with a mortar. 

At the  Cut Bank Cannon Convention in August we are going to have a hole in one contest for  Golf Ball mortars.  The hole will be a Par three and just about as easy to ace.  Want a challenge, try it.