Author Topic: Ballisti-Cast Mark VI  (Read 1216 times)

Offline SGD

• Trade Count: (1)
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« on: December 15, 2003, 08:42:28 AM »
Have any of you guys used the Ballisti Cast Mark VI? http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Mark%20VI%20graphic.htm  I was told by Ballisticast that it would not put gas checks on the bullets, but I can't figure out why.  I don't have a GC mold to try.  Has anyone used one of these sizers to put the gas checks on?

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 09:11:04 AM »
That bullet sizer looks like it's designed for production speed, and is probably intended for pushing bullets THROUGH the sizing die nose first.

If that is the design, then seating gas checks is not an option, as the GC seating needs to be pushed against the bullet base to secure it, and the pass through the sizing die crimps it onto the bullet body.

I'd hazard a guess that its production speed is intended for pistol bullets for competition or large-scale training ammo needs.  As such bullets normally have no gas checks, the feed tube and one-pass sizing die makes sense.

HTH
Johnh
John Traveler

Offline SGD

Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »
The Star sizer is nose first push through and it puts gas checks on.
http://www.magmaengr.com/star.html

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 09:42:20 AM »
Roger that  on the Star, After inspection, If the bullet is acceptable, I seat the gas check by hand and then get a bunch ready and then size them all nose first on the Star, works like a champ.

Not sure about the Ballisticast, never used it, but nose first sizing doesn't discount the use of gaschecks!

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline SGD

Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 09:52:17 AM »
Graycg, what size is your sizing die and top punch.  I think if I just get a top punch that is close to the size of the die that it will work?  I just don't know how much is big enough.  I am thinking that a top punch of .448 inches in diameter would work for a .452 sizing die.

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
Ballisti-Cast
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 11:47:43 AM »
The original lubricator/sizer of that style was the Star now made by Magma.  They have two sizes, the one they advertise and one with a MUCH larger reservoir.  I've owned numerous Star L/S and have one of the large reservoir Magma's.  I LOVE them.

Magma has enough attachments that you can configure it to look and function much like this Ballisti-Cast.  I tried all that.  Didn't like it at all.  Took so much time to load the tubes with bullets that it just wasn't worth the fuss.

One other thing.  At least on the Magma adding all the accessories limits the maximum size of bullet that the machine can handle.  As I load a lot of 50-70's, that was a problem.

I would expect that you could use gas checks here but it would certainly slow you down.  On a machine designed primarily for speed that seems counter productive.

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 03:04:43 PM »
SGD,
  If you want to be "thrifty" you can get one flat bullet punch that fits the smallest die you use and use it on all the bullets, but I don't recommend that.  I'm not sure of the diameters of the punches, when I ordered the dies, I ordered a corresponding punch flat topped punch.  When Star was in business, they were great, but truthfully, magmas dies seem every bit as good as Stars.  You can contact Magma for the tolerances.

regards,
 Graycg.
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 03:27:06 PM »
One top punch is all you need UNLESS you buy the Magma bullet feeder.  Then you'll need two, one for when you use the feeder and one for when you don't.  Different length requirements.  I didn't think that one punch would be all that great but it does work quite well.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 07:08:04 AM »
As for sizing and lubing bullets the Ballisti Cast machine performs this function the same way as the Magma Star. The sizing dies will interchange. The bullet punch though will not.

I have 3 Stars and one Ballisti Cast Auto Luber. I can seat gas checks with all. I had a punch made to just under bullet diameter and the gas checks seat fine. An example: Our 45 caliber rifle bullets use a punch of .454 diameter. I use this punch to size and seat gas checks with the .459 and .460 die.

I will say the Magma Star is simpler to operate than the Ballisti Cast as the top punch is so much easier to adjust. The Ballist Cast however is a much heavier made machine. Hope this helps.
Joshua 1:9

Offline SGD

Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 08:05:10 AM »
Creeker,

Thats just the information I needed.  Thanks.  I think you and I must be the only people with a Ballisticast sizer.  Nobody ever talks about them.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Ballisti-Cast Mark VI
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 08:25:19 AM »
I have a very old Ballisti Cast Mark V I bought used from Dennis Edwards. The machine uses an AC motor so there's no speed control. Still it works very well. I generally tube feed it. I do use a collator but it's a small one for use with a hand luber or as a bullet feed for a progressive loader and won't feed the luber fast enough.

I also have a Ballisti Cast Auto Cast machine made in 1978. It will cast 2400 bullets per hour and has given good service but they aren't the machine the Magma is. I have yet to see a Magma run but have talked to several who own them. Kelly Brost uses both the Ballisti Cast and Magma casting machines. He also has Stars and a Mark VI. I take alot of information from him which he offers freely.

I do feel Ballisti Cast quality has improved since Peter purchased the company and this really shows in their moulds.
Joshua 1:9