Author Topic: Barrel Reciever Fit Question?  (Read 677 times)

Offline JAM66

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel Reciever Fit Question?
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:46:38 AM »
I posted thison the "CVA Rifles" Forum , But I think the guys here have been at this longer  so I will post it here because the NEF Handi's are very similar.
I recently purchase a CVA Optima Stalker rifle from Dicks in .223. When I got it home and inspected it closer, I noticed when the barrel locks up to the reciever , there is an obvious gap on the right side between the barrel and reciever frame. You can slide a piece of paper( maybe thicker) between the barrel and reciever about half way in. It appears to lock up with no movement , but the rear of the barrel is in contact with the reciever only on the left side. Will this effect accuracy or anything?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Barrel Reciever Fit Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:12 AM »
Our good friend and expert Larry (trotterlg) may see this and answer. The short answer is yes, how much is another question. For a hunting gun for deer at only 100 yards or so it may not be a big deal but for real accuracy it should be square and snug. Before you do anythig else read through the FAQ's and shoot about 50-100 rounds for a baseline.....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
joe, i'd take it back.... there is lotsa things that can come out of the gap to harm you or people standing by.
if you ever have a primer fault from either a bad primer or a hot load (pierced primer)....fire and gas could be in your face along with primer metal.  
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
If it's built like the Optima Elite, it probably won't make any difference, the OE built is like the TC Encore and has a solid hinge as opposed to the H&R which is open. My OE has a gap with some barrels and shoots fine and my previous TC Encore 375H&H barrel had a huge gap which created excess headspace, but wasn't a problem once the brass was formed so there was no excess headspace. Shoot it and see how it does.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JAM66

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:54:12 PM »
Here are some pictures, I would prefer if the headspace was kept to a minimum, I hope to get good accuracy out of factory ammo,. How does the closed hinge help?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
The biggest advantage is the barrel doesn't have to fit tight to the standing breech to lock up solidly like on an H&R, the lock up on them isn't dependent on barrel face to standing breech fit, the closed hinge holds the underlug tight in the frame.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain