Author Topic: A New Years Day stroll with the Pardner  (Read 649 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
A New Years Day stroll with the Pardner
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »
I figured what better way to start the new year than to take the Pardner on a small game hunt. I took my 22" 20 gauge Modified choke with synthetic stocks, this gun is really light and a real joy to carry. I left the house with the temps in the upper 40's and a couple inches of crusted over snow on the ground and the weather man was calling for rain latter in the day.
I like to move slow when small game hunting and use my binoculars alot, it's amazing what you can pick out with the glass that you never notice with the naked eye.
Not long into my hunt I spotted a gray squirrel about 20 yards away, I put the bead on is head and hit the trigger, lights out. I put him in my game bag and continued on around the ridge. I was glassing below me and spotted a grouse about 75 yards away, I would have never seen the bird without the bino's. I got a big tree between us and slowly started making my way toward him. I cut the distance to about 50 yards and the bird couldn't take it anymore and I missed, oh well that's hunting.
Not far past where I shot at the grouse I spotted another gray squirrel in a big pine tree, I put the bead on his head, fired, and he hit the ground.
After putting this squirrel in my game bag, I continued on around the ridge. I hadn't went far until I spotted a raccoon sleeping in the fork of a tree, I shot him with my camera! ;)
I made my way out of this patch of woods and was going to another spot I like to hunt when all of a sudden it sarted raining. I thought to myself that I had a great start to the new year so decided to head back to the house for some dry clothes and hot coffee.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: A New Years Day stroll with the Pardner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
Here's the coon I spotted.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS!

I wish I had time to go myself. The wife worked last night and is working again tonight so she's in bed right now. If she gets up soon enough at least I can do some shooting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49:03 AM »
Nice! I came down with a stomach bug Thursday night I need to get out and get some from fresh air, I might take the 28ga and see if I can fetch up a couple squirrels or a rabbit or two.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
Not much better than a still hunt in the rain. thats my favourite way to hunt in the woods and the rain really helps quiet down the foot steps. Congrats on the squirels never tried one but the woods i hunt are full of them and from what i have read they can be very good eating maybe next year i will give them a go seasons closed already in my area on them. Rabbit's will be on my woods walking list after next weekend when waterfowl closes here.

Another plus with the handi's as i found out after my own new years day hunting/down poor session is they are one of the easiest guns to dry out and clean that I own.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »
Sounds like a perfect day

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.