Author Topic: 12ga Tracker II barrel or a 20ga USH barrel  (Read 478 times)

Offline xd45nut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
12ga Tracker II barrel or a 20ga USH barrel
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
Well I wanted a go anywhere do anything gun so got myself a Pardner 12ga. Now I am going to get a slug barrel for it but I am not sure if I should go with the 12ga Tracker II barrel or a 20ga USH barrel. Do you guys think it's worth stepping down from a 12ga just to be able to use scope?
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 12ga Tracker II barrel or a 20ga USH barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
A 12ga. Pardner or Topper goes about 5.25#, and with the Tracker II shooting, for instance, 1oz./1600fps rifled slugs will have about 42ft.lb. of recoil, about like some .375H&H loads. Trust me, a visious kicking beast.
I would choose 20ga., which will still be more than stout; and you will most likely need a recoil pad (I have a slip-on over my factory pad on a 12).
I dont believe you can put the USH on a Pardner frame.
The Tracker II is not that expensive, why not shop around and buy one and not have to mess with barrel swapping, plus you get the recoil pad stock.
BTW, if you did get a barrel fitted, and you should also get a fitted forearm for it, and fitting a recoil pad or buying a limbsaver , or such, slip-on, and shipping you would have almost as much in it as buying one.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I dont believe you can put the USH on a Pardner frame.

According to the H&R web site the SB1 frame can be fitted with a 20ga Ultra Slug barrel but not the 12ga one.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
If so, thats a good choice. Knowing what I now know, I would opt for the 20. I wanted open sights so scope only (as in the USH) wasnt in my plans. FWIW, Im hitting my 9" swinger offhand at 50yd. just about 2" above POA pretty regular with cheap rifled slugs, and that is minute of deer or bigger varmints. If I ever get attacked by steel swingers Im good to go. Still, the 20 would do as well and my shoulder might last longer. For longer distance I already have rifles and I dont expect the DNR to zone us shotgun only anytime soon.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
After going over several of the older threads it seams that the 20ga will do everything I could want a slug gun to do. I have even seen a few people say it seems to be more accurate then the 12. Thanks for all the advice.

Theodore Roosevelt