Author Topic: Whelen Vapourware?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline wookie76

• Trade Count: (0)
Whelen Vapourware?
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:05 AM »
Has anyone actually ever seen or used a 35 Whelen?  The auction sites and Buds don't pull up anything.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: Whelen Vapourware?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
saw one friday, looks nice stainless with black polymer stock, in 35 whelen with a one piece deadnutz style scope mount on it.
very light compared to my handi in 35 whelen. more compact overall, with a much softer recoil pad.
for sale at a local shop here in ms for $310
forgot to add, factory offset hammer spur extension and a very nice maybe 2.5 pound trigger. 
I may go back and work a trade with him this coming weekend.

Offline wookie76

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:17 PM »
Yeah, I kinda figured if they really were in circulation, they would be clustered in MS for your primitive season.  What's the shop, do they have a web presence?

I checked out the Stalker's Academy Sports and Dicks had on special this weekend and it felt simultaneously better and cheesier than a Handi.  The action closed with a nice thunk, but the polymer stock was a little rough with sharp mold seams like the Stevens 200.  Nothing too bad, but word is those were parts bin specials built to a price point, kind of a Porsche 924 of the rifle world.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
Yeah, I kinda figured if they really were in circulation, they would be clustered in MS for your primitive season.  What's the shop, do they have a web presence?

I checked out the Stalker's Academy Sports and Dicks had on special this weekend and it felt simultaneously better and cheesier than a Handi.  The action closed with a nice thunk, but the polymer stock was a little rough with sharp mold seams like the Stevens 200.  Nothing too bad, but word is those were parts bin specials built to a price point, kind of a Porsche 924 of the rifle world.

youre gonna laugh, its at the blackland trading post. one fella been selling guns out there my whole life and is good to deal with.
Ill have to look up an address, its pretty far out in the woods I could tell ya how to get there  but couldnt name any of the roads, I just know where it is  no he doesnt have a web presence, or a computer or a cell phone for that matter doesnt care for em. hes retired 3 times and gets bored at home and reopens the shop just to get out of the house, ill go see him friday and get a phone number and address if ya want it.

Offline wookie76

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
Thanks, I'd appreciate it.  But won't be in a position to do anything for a month or so.

Google kicked out this:
http://www.celinea.com/d-311025124.htm

Thanks,
Bryce

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »
Thanks, I'd appreciate it.  But won't be in a position to do anything for a month or so.

Google kicked out this:
http://www.celinea.com/d-311025124.htm

Thanks,
Bryce

thats him, blackland sports shop, I didnt know till today it was no longer the trading post.

Offline M'issippi Bruce

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »
co-worker has a Scout in .35 Whelen that he has taken 3 deer with so far - says it kicks a bit with the Hornady ammo but not nearly as much as the .45-70 that gave him an "eyebrow" last year.
He and I are in the Jackson, Ms area and there don't seem to be any more available around here for now but, his friend in Oxford reports that the local hunting superstore ( sorry, don't know its name ) has several in stock as does the hole-in-the-wall shop he frequents in Cleveland, Ms ( again, no name )

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
I have one.  Blue/black synthetic.  Yes it kicks, but not like a 500 S&W Handi rifle.  Unlike a 35 Whelen Handi rifle, it goes bang every time you pull the trigger.  Doesn't feel as comfortable in the hands as the Handi rifle, but it shoot at least as well.  Recoil is brisk, but no worse than the handi.  The scope base is the stuff, but just a bit too high.  It will clear a 50 mm objective scope, the 40 sits a bit high.  The trigger on mine is a bit heavy, but no creep and not much over travel.  For $285 out the door, I am quite pleased.  The 1 in 10 twist  is better for the heavyweight cast boolits I prefer (Lyman 358009, 270 gr).  Haven't got to try it on a deer yet, but I want to see if I can find a hog on the SC lease before turkey season kicks in.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »
thats my problem geezer, my handi has been in the shop 3 times. it currently works :o but Ill never trust it fully.
went by the blackland shop this afternoon, he has 2 one stainless one blue,
he was closing at 12 but next friday im gonna see if I can trade him out of one of them.
if the recoil is too harsh Ill find some way to insert a mercury decelerator  in the buttstock even if I have to open it up and fill it with
high density foamglass  to support it.
of course theres always the old leadshot and candlewax method to add a little weight.