Author Topic: Cannelure tool  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Cannelure tool
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:31:04 AM »
Does anyone know where one can obtain a cannelure tool that doesn't cost over $60.00?  I'm looking to put cannelures in jacketed bullets in order to use them in a revolver.  If anyone has any info on this or experience with the process, please let me know.  I am interested in hearing/learning about the tool and process.

Thanks!

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Cannelure tool
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:00:43 AM »
The C-H is about as close as you're going to get:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5515.html

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:15:13 AM »
Have you ever used one or this one in particular?  Are they easy to use or a pain in the behind?  Does it take long to process a bullet?

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
Why???? Even when I loads bullets with cannalures I almost never crimp in the cannalure. You should have no trouble crimping without one unless your are shooting a gun with extrem recoil. Try loading some befor you spend your money, and you can put a pretty tight crimp without effecting accuracy.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
It's a 38-40 and the brass is typically thin.  Add to it that I'm going to put some heavy loads through it.  The recoil will certainly be enough to jar the bullets from the other five cartridges without a good crimp.  For now, I've used my crimp die but I'm using plated bullets.  I can't use these bullets once I go beyond 1200 fps.  I'd like to use jacketed bullets that are intended for the 10mm auto, but I need a cannelure in them.
That's why.   ;D

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
I got mine from CH and it works pretty well. It only takes about 3-5 seconds per bullet to get a good cannelure. Plus, it will handle a variety of bullet diameters.

The only speed limitation I found was with how fast I could push myself.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
I have a CH tool and it works quite well...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
Hey, COOL!
Thanks guys!  It doesn't look all that bad to do then.  I take it that the cannelure depth can be preset so they don't all vary. 

After I play with some more loads with my new Blackhawk, I'll probably turn things up a bit and the cannelure tool will probably be y be my next purchase.

Thanks for the photos and video CW!...and all the other input from everyone else as well.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
I have the C-H tool and I also load for a 38-40. My 38-40 is an old Colt made in 1898 so I don't push it hard. I was using the 40 caliber 180 gr XTP bullets and putting a cannelure on them. It's a little tricky getting it set up as the cannelure has to be right at the ogive on the bullet for it to work. Once you have the tool adjusted and work the tool, it's a no brainer to use. I quit using any jacketed bullets in my old Colt though. A gunsmith that works on these old shooters told me the steel was probably not hard enough for jacketed bullets and to use lead only. I still have some of the XTPs loaded as I use it for a carry gun around the place. I'm now plinking with lead bullets using a load of Unique powder. It's good enough to roll a cap from a spray can of paint around at 25 yds. FWIW, I've found Starline brass to be the best and Winchester the worst for the 38-40. The Winchester is paper thin whereas the Starline is a little heavier.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
I have the C-H tool and I also load for a 38-40. My 38-40 is an old Colt made in 1898 so I don't push it hard. I was using the 40 caliber 180 gr XTP bullets and putting a cannelure on them. It's a little tricky getting it set up as the cannelure has to be right at the ogive on the bullet for it to work. Once you have the tool adjusted and work the tool, it's a no brainer to use. I quit using any jacketed bullets in my old Colt though. A gunsmith that works on these old shooters told me the steel was probably not hard enough for jacketed bullets and to use lead only. I still have some of the XTPs loaded as I use it for a carry gun around the place. I'm now plinking with lead bullets using a load of Unique powder. It's good enough to roll a cap from a spray can of paint around at 25 yds. FWIW, I've found Starline brass to be the best and Winchester the worst for the 38-40. The Winchester is paper thin whereas the Starline is a little heavier.
Thanks for the info Larry.  My 38-40 is a Ruger Blackhawk.  I think it's one of the ONLY 38-40's that can be pushed aside from any custom revolvers out there.  I have read the same about brass; Star Line being the best and Win being the worst.  Unfortunately, I've got 50 rounds of the Win coming in the mail.  I'm sure I'll go through those within a couple of loads.  

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that C-H tool?  Was it over $60.00?  I'm having a hard time considering buying one for the couple of hundred rounds I'll load per year in that caliber for that high of a price.  I might as well just buy custom bullets from Barnes or something.   ::)
Maybe I'll post an ad here "WTB" to see if anyone has one they'd like to let go.   ???

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
I got my C&H many years ago and it cost about $57.00.
I works very well.
Just watch that you don't put to much preasure on the arm as the bullets will have a tendency to want to ride up some.
Have done many hundreds of 45 colt bullets and it has worked just fine.
Very easy to use!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Found mine on Fleabay for $40.00 shipped to my front door. Might wanna check around over there for one. Sometimes they go for too much money, sometimes you can get a deal, sometimes they don't have one at all. But if yer willing to wait, there's one on there usually.