Author Topic: Takedown/survival handi *Pics Added*  (Read 1557 times)

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Takedown/survival handi *Pics Added*
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »
I was cleaning my shed the other day and came across a nearly empty shim pack.  The kind that has the square, slotted shims for pump/motor alignments.  So I got to thinking to myself that I could put a handi together that I could take down with no tools that would pack into this box.  The internal dimensions are 16.5"long X 3"wide X 4"deep.  Then I thought I could combine this with my other idea, the subsonic .30-30, or .30 PMW (poor mans whisper) as another member dubbed it.  Ive got a good start on it already.  I took a survivor stock and cut the buttstock portion off right at the pistolgrip.  Then I recessed the backside of the hole with a 1" drill bit.  The stock is a piece of 1"od X .035 wall stainless instrument tubing.  I welded the 3/8-24 cap screw in the end and built the end up with weld then ground it round to roughly match the shape that the drill but cut out of the pistol grip.  So if you can picture this, the tubing sticks up into the pistolgrip with the threaded stud sticking out the front.  This then, of course, screws into the receiver.  I havent quite figured out what Im gonna do for a butt plate, but Im working on it.  I ordered a set of the extended weaver quad locks, an evolution gun works picatinny base, and a 4x20 burris timberline.  The burris has 5 inches of eye relief so my thinking is with the long base and extended rings, I can come up with a semi-scout setup that will put the ocular lens just ahead of the hammer.  I think I will probably use a standard synthetic forend with the thumbscrew from the survivor set.  Weight will be in the 3.5-4 lb range with optic.  Anybody else here ever try to put together a handi like this?  Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated as this is a work in progress.  Thanks--jason
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: Takedown/survival handi
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:07 AM »
This sounds like a winner ! please post pictures
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
Slowly coming along with this.  Even after a cut to 16.5" it was apparent to me that I wasnt going to come close of my target weight of >4lbs.  So I had a crazy idea.  Build a tensioned handi barrel similar to the ones volquartsen makes for the 10/22.  Starting just ahead of the chamber area the barrel will be turned down to roughly 1/2" diameter all the way to the muzzle.  Then the last 1/2" or so of the barrel is threaded.  A tight fitting aluminum sleeve is then slid down over the turned down barrel and a "nut" is screwed on the end.  Chuck the whole assembly up in the lathe and turn down so all the lines match.  For even further weight reduction maybe some flutes in the sleeve.  Yeah, I know this is a lot of trouble to go to but I believe I would definitely have a one of a kind super-ultralight handi ;)
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »
 Sounds like a cool project. We love pict ya know ;)

Lonny

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:54 AM »
Have you looked at something like the Morgan adj. Buttplates?; they have an alum. mounting plate.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:05:26 AM »
Ok heres what I got so far.  Awaiting a pw forend to to shave and chop.  Also have to weld a piece of plate to the tubing coupling.  Gonna mount a recoil pad on the plate cause I figure this thin gonna bite at sub 4 lbs.  Optics planet had my rings, base and scope on backorder since Jan 1. >:(  I cancelled the scope order and tried to buy a used one here with no luck.  Bit the bullet yesterday and ordered from amazon.   With any luck she'll have a scope and forend on her by Monday.  Im gonna play with the subsonic loading a bit with the 200gr lapua subsonic bullet before I send the barrel off to my dad to get the sleeving treatment.

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:10:50 AM »
I did look at those morgan recoil pads.  Problem is there's no way to weld aluminum to stainless.  It would have required another bracket of some sort to be welded on the tubing.  Also, I want the butt plate/pad to detach because the case I'm trying to make all this fit into wont accommodate a one piece setup.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Takedown/survival handi *Pics Added*
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
 As far as your butt plate. Why not tap your tubing, then weld a stud on the pad plate. Or weld a nut in or on the tubing, with a stud or bolt thru your pad plate.
 Looks good so far. ;)

Lonny

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
I though about that, but when you start weldin on that tubing it can get a bit hairy.  The walls are only.035" thick so its very easy to blow a hole in it.  It wasnt so critical in the other end where it would all be hidden.  Getting the angle correct would be a but more difficult that way too I would think.   But the connector I have there will serve the same.  What it actually is is a 1" tubing union cut in half on an angle.  The part with the threads will weld onto the pad plate and the nut and ferrule will stay on the tubing.  Easy to hand tighten up this way.

Offline wganz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 02:54:11 AM »
What I was looking at doing was putting an AK rear trunnion on one of my Handi's and then put a folding stock on it. You could also use an M4 stock on your instrument tubing although not sure of the differences in diameter. There are also AR skeleton stocks to look at.

The Ace Tactical Arul stock is really close to what you're working on.

Offline Hank Zudd

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
go to ACELTD.; [they make the socom M4 stock]; look under gun show in the list
on the lower left; he has some surplus stock parts that may work for you.

i've bought surplus parts from them-good guys. If you can get them on the fone, ask
if there's anything else you need [thats not shown-never know]

good luck